• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard Combo: Bleeding the Storm

evillives

First Post
If someone else has this one, sorry for the repeat:

Got to be 13th level to do this one, and have the Blood Mage Paragon Path.

Round One: Use your Bolstering Blood feature as a free action to give yourself a 1d10 or 2d10 wound: the amount of damage you deal to yourself is equal to the amount of bonus psychic damage dealt with your next wizard paragon power or encounter or daily power.

Touch off Blood Pulse with a standard action (11th level paragon, deals 2d6 + Int in a burst 3 range 20, until end of your next turn target takes a d6 for each square it leaves)

Round Two: Touch off Thunderlance with a standard action (4d6 + Int, Close blast 5, target is pushed 4 squares)

Total potential damage to a target at the end of round two: 2d6 +1d10 (or 2d10) + Int + 4d6 + Int +1d6 +1d6+1d6+1d6, or 10d6 + 2[Int] +1d10 (or 2d10).

Question: Would the extra damage apply to the damage caused by the lingering Blood Pulse effect? I.E. Would a target take 1d6 + 1d10 (or 2d10) for each square it left? Oh please say yes.

Question: Can you fire off the Orb feature per encounter as a free action and extend the Blood Pulse "leave a square and take damage" effect? Oh please say yes.

Note: the 1d10/2d10 bonus psychic damage is a fixed amount equal to what you inflicted on yourself, so average of 5 for 1d10 and average of 11 for 2d10, I guess. So if the answer to question number 1 is yes, then the total potential damage at the end of round two would be:

2d6 + 5 or 11 + Int for Blood Pulse
4d6 + Int for Thunderlance
1d6 + 5 or 11 four times for leaving four squares, or

10d6 + 25 or 55 + 2 [Int mod]

Note: Nice but not necessary feats include Raging Storm, Arcane Reach and Resounding Thunder.

Note: Oh how I wish that bolstering blood power gave other powers the psychic keyword along with the extra damage....

Last edited:

evillives

First Post
Totally forgot to fire off Blood Action!

Round One:
1. Standard action--Toss a magic missile
2. Cook off an action point to gain another standard action with Blood Action (don't forget Commanding Presence goodies from party's warlord)
3. Free Action--Trigger Bolstering Blood
4. Second Standard action--Blood Pulse, if it hits it deals 10 ongoing on top of everything else. (Does Bolstering Blood apply to this, too?)

Round Two:

As presented above

Boco

First Post
Constant bonuses only get added once, so you don't get to add it for every d6. (edit: I couldn't find the page number for this, so maybe I'm wrong? I remember hearing about it in reference to Blade Cascade though)

You can use the Orb to extend the fun, though. Might want to have a Warlock around with Harrowstorm (encounter attack 13, 2d10+Con and slides target 5+Int squares).

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
The usual place to read about builds like this is the WotC Character Optimization forum.

evillives said:
Question: Would the extra damage apply to the damage caused by the lingering Blood Pulse effect? I.E. Would a target take 1d6 + 1d10 (or 2d10) for each square it left? Oh please say yes.
I don't think so. Just 1d6/square.

evillives said:
Question: Can you fire off the Orb feature per encounter as a free action and extend the Blood Pulse "leave a square and take damage" effect? Oh please say yes.
Yes, I think so.

However, the folks in CharOpt may have more definitive proof. :)

Cheers, -- N

kerbarian

Explorer
Boco said:
You can use the Orb to extend the fun, though.
I also originally read the Orb power as being able to extend any effect that would normally end at the end of your turn, but it actually only lets you "extend the duration of an effect created by a wizard at-will spell" (emphasis added). So the duration-extending part can only be used on Cloud of Daggers and Lasting Frost (and cantrips, I suppose).

evillives

First Post
Boco said:
Constant bonuses only get added once, so you don't get to add it for every d6.

You can use the Orb to extend the fun, though. Might want to have a Warlock around with Harrowstorm (encounter attack 13, 2d10+Con and slides target 5+Int squares).

Got a source for the constant bonuses thing? I found the reference in the PHB that rules out applying bonuses to static or ongoing damage, but the 1d6 from Blood Pulse is neither.

As for the warlord thing, yeah, everybody should push an enemy around. Kick 'em in the shins, they love it.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

evillives

First Post
kerbarian said:
I also originally read the Orb power as being able to extend any effect that would normally end at the end of your turn, but it actually only lets you "extend the duration of an effect created by a wizard at-will spell" (emphasis added). So the duration-extending part can only be used on Cloud of Daggers and Lasting Frost (and cantrips, I suppose).

Thanks for crushing my spirit. ;)

Boco

First Post
Only at-will? How boring. Orb is still better than Wand but Staff looks more and more appealing.

By the way, if the damage adds thing does work, you might want to have a Paladin along with Wrath of the Gods (daily utility 6, until the end of the encounter allies add the Paladin's Cha to all damage rolls).

evillives

First Post
Boco said:
By the way, if the damage adds thing does work, you might want to have a Paladin along with Wrath of the Gods (daily utility 6, until the end of the encounter allies add the Paladin's Cha to all damage rolls).

Mmm...yummy. My hunch is the damage adds won't work because they go against the precedent set by Hunter's Quarry and Sneak Attack (damage bonus to one attack per round). But I haven't found anything that explicitly says so, so that means a boy can dream....

My guess is Bolstering Blood will be errata'd to explicitly limit its bonus to one incidence of damage per round.

Remove ads