Wizard just announced [Your Dream Release]

Pure and beautiful integration.

I want, in a simulationist style, a world (or worlds) including planes, history, future, npcs, adventures (good ones) , etc.

I want them all to fit together, if not seemlessly, to fit well.

Open design is doing this right now with Midgard. WotC (and hell, 3pps) used to do this in 3e well enough. But I'm not a "system-itist". Midgard might be 4e, pathfinder, another system, or systemless. I'm in for over $100 regardless of which system is chosen in voting, because they ARE doing this.

Here's a project I want to personally undertake in my retirement (when batteries work for 100 hours and laptops are beach and mai-tai friendly):

Integrate it all. All of it.

I have lots and lots of books. I'd love to create "hell" (for instance) using all the main books along with all the third party supplements, rules, etc. I'd like to construct a "sandbox hell" including all the adventures that relate to the hells.

That's just my first step. I'd love to do it all.

Multiple worlds, multiple planes. My ideal dream is the "ubersandbox" of "every book I own fits somewhere and and somehow".

FURTHER POINT: I feel as though most of D&D fit this model up through ogl/3e, including many, many third party publishers who were riding official D&D fluff, or could easily fit with it at the least. I feel as though there was a huge departure by WotC with 4e from this fluff (intentionally, but against my wishes --who knows, maybe for the best?). WotC reinvented much of the fluff/story/worlds and so such material breaks from my goals. What I'd need to work their current material into my vision is future material that reconciles weird changes in a thematic/realistic(ish) way. E.G. the feywild sprung up from the plane of shadow when....x, y, or z...and that fits into previous conceptions and incarnations of the world in a number of the following ways.

Part of what excites me about D&D is the "reality" of a fantasy world. Fantasy itself is fun, but only so fun for me. I don't really enjoy reading fantasy books, because they often seem contrived. The best ones don't, and, IMO, the reason they don't is because they create vibrant worlds.

I like D&D because, when done well, it doesn't seem contrived. That's what I want as my WotC fantasy product (both meanings of fantasy here): for them to create a playground that is different from reality, but can seem just as real.

Last edited:

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
I would very much like to have wizards announce that they are selling the D&D rights to paizo, who I think could handle it very well, not that WOTC has been necessarily horrible with it, I would just like to see more d20 stuff, otherwise I would like to see them release stuff for all editions (1E, 2E, 3E, 4E) like non-random miniatures, as in the OP, but also stuff like spells, that, even if they were in 8 card packs, if there was a guarantee that you would get a decent card in each pack, or multiple decent ones, I might get them, as opposed to the star wars minis at the end of their life when sometimes it was impossible to tell what the rare in the pack was.[/rant]

just my two coppers on my dream releases

delericho

Legend
"The Dungeon Archive" - a DVD containing PDFs of all the print issues of Dungeon Magazine, 1-150. Basically, the same as the old "Dragon Archive" product from yesteryear, but for Dungeon.

If they're at it, how about "Dragon Archive II", containing issues 251-360 of that magazine as well.

(I know there are legal/licensing issues with both of these, but if we're talking dream products...)

At the moment, I think the only other thing that could count as a "dream product" for me would be a 5e with my name on the front cover.

kaomera

Explorer
Dungeons & Dragons Class Compendium: Heroes of Sword and Spell

Just more Essentials-format (9" x 6" softcover) products in general...

I'd love to see themes make their way into core D&D, but I suspect that the fortune cards have stolen that spot.

Oh, and if they could give us back our ability to create characters without a computer, that would be swell, too...

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
"the dungeon archive" - a dvd containing pdfs of all the print issues of dungeon magazine, 1-150. Basically, the same as the old "dragon archive" product from yesteryear, but for dungeon.

If they're at it, how about "dragon archive ii", containing issues 251-360 of that magazine as well.

(i know there are legal/licensing issues with both of these, but if we're talking dream products...)

this.

Absolutely this.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I would like to se far better adventures from WOTC, ones that have a better story and less combat emphasis. I think WOTC made a mistake when they changed all xp gained from combat, and not treasure. Yes, skill challenges are xp, but it is not the same.

As for other releases, new stuff. DO not reinvent the old stuff. That is a waste of time and effort and will further fragment the base.

Oryan77

Adventurer
I would like them to sell me the ability to cast spells. That would be totally awesome! Let's see a player argue the rules with me then. Yeah!

Remove ads