• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard Spell Questions!

rushlight

Roll for Initiative!
So, I got a chance to quickly browse through the PHB. The only thing I really had much trouble with was the way Wizard spells are handled. First, it seems that by class ability, you gain two Daily and Utility spells in place of the usualy one, but you can only choose one per day.

But what about Encounter spells? Do you get the usual number of those (one at the beginning), and therefore have no need for selecting which Encounter spells you prepare for the day? And the same seems to go for At-Wills. So the only choice per day is which Daily and Utility spells to take? I believe that Rituals need no choosing, and that you can access any of those whenever.

Second, are there no more "spell" scrolls? It seems that the only scrolls that exist are Rituals. Does this mean that a Wizard can only learn new spells as he levels? Or that the only spells in shops are Rituals?

Thanks for any help!

Surgoshan

First Post
You get the normal number of encounter spells and can use them whenever.

As for scrolls, yeah, looks like they're just rituals. You can retrain powers as you level and learn whatever powers you want, so spell scrolls are pointless (except as oneshots, and that would be unbalanced).

Remove ads