D&D 5E Wizard Spell Selection

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I think your spell selection is fine. The Wizard's unique strength is the breadth of spells--every class can do damage, but the Wizard has access to all sorts of multi-use utility spells and you've embraced that. Bravo!

You asked how others choose spells. When I play a wizard, I look for spells that can be useful in at least two different ways. Web is a great example. Yes you can trap enemies inside of it. But as anyone familiar with Spider-Man knows, you can also use it as a safety net for falling allies, a way to stop vehicles, objects, or mounts, a clog for a passageway, cover for hiding, tinder for a large fire, and so on. Cast it to span a chasm, then toss cloaks or debris atop to form a non-sticky pathway across the resulting bridge. And so on.

Same with Blindness/Deafness. 99% of the time this is a debuff. But you can also use it defensively against monsters with vision or sound-based attacks. Sirens are the classic example.

Hidden gems:
Unseen Servant. 1 hour duration, not a Concentration spell. I started a thread about some fun uses of this invisible, Str 2, space-occupying entity: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?453022-Unseen-Servant-fun-with. An auto-include in my opinion.

Gust of Wind. I've been surprised how often dangerous gasses are encountered while adventuring. This spell removes them. It creates a linear movement debuff. It's also useful to extinguish small flames, spread large flames, power sailing ships, kick up an obscuring dust cloud, disperse small/weak critters, discourage crowds. Lots of utility here.

Rope Trick. Perennial favorite. A refuge, a spying hideout, a secure and safe way to reach a height.

Misty Step. The wizard's Get-Out-Of-Jail card. "Jail" being a grapple, a Web, a mob, or other location-based hazard. Can also be used out of combat for infiltration.

Alter Self. Water-breathing one spell level early. Perfect disguise (including voice). And Magic Weapon. All rolled into one spell.

PS: Keep in mind that as a Wizard, you don't need to prepare the spells you cast as rituals. They just have to be in your book. Of course, you *can* prepare them if you wish--like if you don't think you'll be able to spare the +10 minute casting time.

DMCF

First Post
Know your spells. I hate it as DM when wizards are slow. You had 10 minutes to decide but all you can think about is fireballs? You can ask for specific spell advice but what you should really do is learn the spells and decide on your personal flare. As long as you are mindful of the situation you will likely have something useful.

OK the PHB is a pain to keep navigating and you want to preserve it because my MM for example, has fallen apart since i got it in Feb.

My advice:
Free - 5th edition spell book app for android (& maybe IOS). Icon is a small black book. Save your poor bindings on the phb and you can look up spells anywhere.

For the free version you can make one spell list and have to have an internet connection to use the app. For just a couple bucks you can use it offline and make multiple lists. Needs better filters but I find it a treat.

As DM I'm currently using the free version but I have bought other apps and I will eventually buy this one when I make it into a game as a player.

Ackbladder

Explorer
So how do you go about choosing spells? What are your must-haves? Which do you think are the hidden gems?

I haven't seen anyone else mention this yet (likely because it's common wisdom), but I like to have some variety in the Saves which my spells target. For instance, Web is Dexterity (IIRC) and Blindness is Constitution - so that gives you some options on what to target. Bunch of nimble looking rogues? Maybe Blindness on the leader is best. A guy in robes behind some thugs? Web it is. Add Hold Person or Hypnotic Pattern to target Wisdom and you should be able to find the weak spot on most opponents (albeit limited by the wildly differing effects - for instance, a Wizard or Archer is not going to be inconvenienced by a Levitate spell like a melee opponent would be).

Another factor is the makeup of the rest of your group. Have a 1/2 orc barbarian? Perhaps Hold Person for super-painful auto-crits. The ever popular halfling rogue? May be worth burning a slot on Darkvision (not much fun, but the rogue will love it).

As it is, I like Web and Blindness/Deafness. I might be tempted to take Misty Step in place of Blindness for one level, but I hate not having a method of escaping trouble. Misty Step is also nice in that you can Step and still blast with Fire Bolt.

Li Shenron

Legend
So how do you go about choosing spells? What are your must-haves? Which do you think are the hidden gems?

It really depends on the game and my mood... whether it's supposed to be a long campaign, or a game that has few hopes of lasting more than a few adventuring days. I have used all these approaches:

Narratively: spells that fit with a certain character concept or image. This is what I always do when designing an NPC as a DM, but I admit that it's hard not to switch to next 'mode' when it's your own PC, and you have to also consider how well the spells will work for you, and how your whole known spells list works as a whole.

Functionally: i.e. what you have been doing... lots of stuff to keep in mind:
- strategy > taking into considerations how each spell opens up new strategic areas (and by contrast, avoid spells that overlap with what you can already do)
- tactics > diversifying spells to avoid weaknesses (e.g. have spells that target different saving throws)
- efficiency > how your stats might make some spells more effective than others

Randomly: yes, I have done this too, and it's a lot of fun, but only if you are willing to take the challenge :) See for example my PC in a recent PbP at the link below, she was totally rolled randomly:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...ragons/page6&p=6372100&viewfull=1#post6372100

Remove ads