DMs Guild Wizardly Goodies on DMs Guild

BlivetWidget

Explorer
As an enthusiast of wizardly roleplay, I was looking for resources to add flavor without necessarily changing any gameplay features. Not finding anything that really spoke to me, I wrote down some thoughts on magic systems and game aids. A few forum members encouraged me to put them on DMs Guild, so I have! This sub-forum seems the appropriate place to reference them.

Reference Card Templates: Archival and Recipe Cards (free / pay what you want). These system-independent reference cards are a great way to organize (even outside of a game!). Inspired by real archival and recipe cards, you can use them to summarize the important facets of just about anything.

Textura Reticulata Fonts (free / pay what you want). A pair of blackletter fonts to add a manuscript feel to your own work.

Wizard Spell Scrolls (Handouts; PHB, XGE). These D&D 5e handouts include spell scrolls for all the wizard spells in the Player's Handbook and Xanathar's Guide to Everything. Suitable for any level of player engagement, they include instructions for three methods of using the scrolls: an easy method of simply reading the spell name, a medium method of deciphering a simple code, and a challenging method of decoding a hexagram spell glyph.

Wizard Spell Lessons. This document is a peek under the hood of the magic system used to create the Wizard Spell Scrolls. While intended for D&D 5e, most of the contents are system-agnostic or easily adapted to other systems. It contains magic theory and spell scribing guidelines to help with roleplaying arcana skills, wizard lesson plans for character backgrounds or helping DMs plan a game focused on wizards in school, and team roles to add more flavor to characters (wizards and otherwise).

I hope you find something you like, or failing that, are at least entertained by what you see =). Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

BlivetWidget

Explorer
@DWChancellor thanks for having a look! Do you mean artwork on the cover? I'm not sure if I have the artistic talent to do a great job with that. I think these covers are in line with the 2e Wizard's Spell Compendium or Encyclopedia Magica. That style might no longer be in vogue, but I kind of like the understated look, and it's something I can do.

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast
Much simpler. When you open the page you see a thumbnail of the cover. Just relying on the text it is hard to quickly understand what the product is. Adding a few thumbnails (I've seen a lot of other postings put these in the description) would help browsers quickly zero in on what your product is. People make snap judgments very quickly and might not spend the time to click on the preview links.

Dave Goff

Explorer
I'm downloading Wizard Spell Lessons now. I appreciate the work and the concept, so I'm definitely intrigued. The font choice, while great for flavor, is a bit much for extended reading. I kind of wish there was an option to get the same doc with a more standard font for quick reading and the more artsy one for effect in games.

BlivetWidget

Explorer
@DWChancellor Indeed, that is a good suggestion. It is done!

@Dave Goff Glad you like it! I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a sister document, but it would be a significant undertaking. Every page would need to be re-jiggered to look decent, and the tables and text boxes are probably "formatting islands" that don't care about the master style. I had actually discussed it with the wife before I decided to upload it, and her response was that "anyone crazy enough to like that thing will put up with the font to read it." But I'll give it some more thought =).

If you can believe it, I find that font very natural to read... but that's probably because I made it, and based it on my own hand. If you're not used to reading old manuscripts (or even early 20th century marriage certificates), I will definitely admit those blackletter hands are very form over function. That actually reminds me, I wanted to put the fonts up on DMs Guild for people to download. I'll update the original post and make it another pay what you want.

Dave Goff

Explorer
LOL! I have to admit, I'm getting used to it and it certainly does reinforce the idea that wizardly documents should only be readable by those who are truly dedicated to the craft.
I do like the font in general. My one complaint might be X's. I honestly wasn't sure what the word"six" was in that font. :) Context brings it out nicely though.

My blog post about it can be found here if you want to check it out- Want to add some SERIOUS flavor to your Wizard spells? | Dungeons & Dave, A D&D Blog

If you'd like any changes or additions to the post, let me know. I'm happy to help.

BlivetWidget

Explorer
@Dave Goff wunderbar, I love it! I think you've done a good job of summarizing and conveying the essence of what I've done here.

Mostly though, in a culture that commends indifference at best and hostility at worst, just knowing that somebody out there likes that weird thing you do... it feels good, man.

Remove ads