• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizardru's Story Hour (updated 11/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zad

First Post
The Heart of Nightfang Spire - Chapter 8

Still pasting in the missing stuff

Chapter 7

OOC Notes:

Experience this session is 3842 for everyone except Jozan who got caught by work and missed the on time bonus so he’s at 3362.

Notes for Next Time:

Two key parts down, two to go. So far we’re doing ok and the only resource we’re short on is restorations. Two things on my mind:

First, we need to get more flight in the party. NFS has been a mobility challenge. Long term issue I know but just something in my head.

Second, we need to come up with some schemes for that assassin. My mind is already working on it. However I don’t think we’ll see many hit-and-runs like this. She was clearly buffed – I’m seeing improved invisibility, and at this point I’m pretty sure a haste was involved too. Having a dispel magic on hand will probably be a good idea.

This Week’s Adventure:

After debating some of the different ways we could re-enter the spire, we elected to use the dimension door again, although the notion of digging into the catacombs was not without merits. We cast several spells and then appeared within the golem laboratory.

The first thing we noticed was that it had been cleaned and evacuated – all of the jars with body parts had been removed. Given the delicate nature of some of the jars, it was probably not more apes. Why Gulthias would be having his minions cleaning up is beyond me.

We moved towards the stairs, which required going into a room with a gazeway. Even though we were prepared for trouble, the crackling sound still caught us off guard. In an instant, the gazeway flashed and crackled, and the same set of claws ripped at Jozan.

Determined not to let our attacker escape again, I set more glitter into the air. The dust settled and clearly revealed our no-longer-unseen assailant. From the way the head twisted, I suspect the dust had blinded him as well. This beast may be stealthy, but at least I could react quicker.

[OOC Note: Ok, Kayleigh isn’t much of a sorcerer, and the save was pretty low to avoid being blinded. But anyone can roll a 1, and Redbone did. I think it was about now that Wizardru pointed out that Redbone was a “she” mostly because the fact that we kept calling it a “he” was bugging him.]

Unfortunately Redbone was still quite quick. She must have realized that she was no longer in a good position, and she managed to find her way back to the gazeway and disappear before anyone else could act. This annoyed me to no end. After thinking a while on this, I suspect that not only was she under improved invisibility, but also haste. I believe these spells came from Gulthias himself since we now know him to be a wizard.

We descended to the next level, and our scans revealed some undead and evil in the area, including some fairly large sources of evil. We took time to spike the door shut, so that Redbone would not be following us easily.

The next room had the floor covered in urns of various small sizes. There was a narrow path between the three doors in the room, but the rest of the floor was covered with urns. Many had tipped over spilling dust on the floor. The room beyond that had nearly the same contents – more crematory remains. The other door led to a similar room, but the difference here was another gazeway on the ceiling 40 feet up.

We were always leery of the gazeways but now that we understood them better, we wanted to try to do something about them. Valanthe was prepared to try to use acid to destroy one but this one on the ceiling would make that difficult. I had a different idea however….

I cast a simple illusion. It was hardly anything notable – just the same floor covered in urns and dust. But it was eight feet higher than the actual floor, which allowed us to pass underneath unseen. I believed it would be unlikely that anyone watching would notice the difference unless they were watching when I first cast the spell. We slipped quietly through this room, hopefully undetected by the gazeway.

[OOC Note: Wizardru was rather amused by this application, and by this way of evading the gazeway.]

In the next room we found five zombies, cleaning up the urns. A rather odd task for the living dead indeed. Given their limited intelligence, I speculated as to whether they would even be aggressive, but it was hardly important. We dispatched them with little thought and moved on. Not wanting to be followed by something coming through the gazeway, I took the time to pile a few urns carefully before the door – that way anything opening the door would knock over the urns and cause quite a stir.

The next room contained something evil, and Jozan booted the door in. Again, a seemingly endless supply of funeral urns covered the room. In this case they were piled along the edges of the room. Inside were one gorilla, and some zombies. However I noticed that one zombie was rather different, and was in fact another beast like the one we found in the cauldron. (Dravot called it a mohrg – some kind of serial killer it seems.)

They were unprepared for us, and we took full advantage. Valanthe cut at the ape, and Jozan moved into engage it. I had a line to the mohrg and put an arrow into it, and Rackhir fired an arrow into the ape’s leg, causing it to fall back a few feet. Dravot, with a rather absent wave, destroyed the zombies. Valanthe then cut at the ape again, causing his vitals to spill out his abdomen. The mohrg clawed at Jozan briefly, and in return had a brief meeting with Shatterspike. It wasn’t looking at all well after that and I put a few arrows into it to finish the job. A few more urns by the door and we pressed deeper.

Beyond this room was a corridor that led to a set of double doors. We carefully opened them and saw a huge, crescent shaped room beyond. Inside was a forty foot high pillar of fire reaching the ceiling. There was an abstract mosaic pattern covering the room in purple tiles but it was charred and obscured in many places. There was a foot of ash on the floor, making us think this was the crematorium.

Now, we’re a suspicious lot it seems – something that has served us well. We were all somewhat hesitant to enter the room, and suspicious of the fire. The thing that worried us was that the ceiling was charred in several places, not just over the depression where the fire now was. That made us think it could move, and that was worrisome to say the least.

If it was a magical fire, then it would be magical, and evocation at that. But if it were some kind of elemental, then it might show rather differently to a detect magic. I cast detect magic and the fire was not magical. That settled it – it was some kind of elemental.

Scorch happened to speak Ignan – for what purpose I can only guess. He hailed the elemental and it responded, forming two firey eyes. The conversation was brief but fruitful – this was another creature bound here centuries ago by Gulthias. Its orders were to kill us when we entered the room. Since we had not yet entered and it had no orders against talking to us, we were fine so far. It had to follow the orders it was given, but like the Vrock, it craved release also. Scorch attempted to dispel the anchor that held it on this plane but it was too strong for the fairly weak scroll to overcome. We told the elemental that we would return later better prepared to return it home, and closed the doors.

The only doors were on the other side of the fire elemental. Valanthe expressed interest in trying to slip past the elemental and explore beyond them but we all did our best to tell her what a suicidal thing that would be. Even so, she didn’t seem convinced, but she didn’t try it. Instead Scorch shifted to an umber hulk and tore out the wall next to the doors, letting us into the next chamber.

[OOC: this is what we are calling the “Dig Dug” approach. Only problem is that it needs quarters.]

Inside was a ten foot diameter hole with large sturdy iron rungs forming a ladder going down. The rungs were of such a size that we suspected they were for the girallons. The pit descended quite a ways into the darkness – some hundreds of feet. At the bottom was a small room, and another gazeway. The placement of this carving made it very unlikely we could pass undetected as we had last time. So rather than be subtle, I tried for something confusing. I created the illusion of the fire elemental descending the hole and burning on top of the gazeway. Not only would it block vision, but anything that would try to come through would be burned by the elemental, or so I hoped they’d think. Of course there was no sound, but we had no idea what the gazeway would transmit, so it seemed like a reasonable thing, and had more flair than a simple stone wall. It might also cause Gulthias to wonder how we turned the elemental to our cause.

Out the only break in the walls was a small ledge and a vast pit beyond, teeming with skeletons and zombies. While we had some spells to destroy large areas, it seemed an unproductive use them. In the distance Valanthe could make out a pillar with a statue.

Valanthe began moving about the ceiling with the aid of her magic boots. The pillar in the center had a statue, and the statue had what we thought was a piece of the dragon key. Valanthe was able to discern a smell about the thing, and was convinced there was a trap on it. However though skill or luck, she found the way to disengage it, and retrieved the key piece.

Farther across was another ledge leading to another room. There were two mohrgs there among some ruined sarcophagi. Valanthe could make out some of their conversation, and they seemed to be hoping we would soon trigger the statue, and then they would deal with us. One mohrg drew attention to a necklace he was wearing which any seasoned adventurer knew to be a necklace of fireballs.

Fortunately Scorch had another dimension door, and he moved himself across with Jozan and Rackhir, believing that the four of them could dispatch the two beasts. There were only two problems with this plan – the first is that it left Dravot and myself alone and quite a ways from the rest. The second became apparent when the others landed and attacked – there were three more mohrgs in the coffins.

There was a bit of shouting, and at one point a fireball went off, though from who I couldn’t say. But after a few seconds, the others said it the situation was under control, and Scorch came back as a dragon to ferry Dravot over. Rather than leave one of us alone, we used a scroll of spider climb and I joined the others that way.

The mohrgs had some interesting trinkets among their pile of debris. There was indeed a necklace of fireballs, and one mohrg had a ring that was probably some kind of fire resistance. There was also a pile of platinum pieces, a rather nice silver comb with moonstones, and a few other trinkets.

[OOC: 212pp, silver comb 550gp, jovial brass mug with jade inlay 350gp, chest of mahogany and inlaid with amethyst, 1400gp, and a chalice of crystal with emeralds, 700gp. Red ring, and type 4 necklace, missing one 6d6 fireball]

Personally I thought the comb was rather beautiful (or would be, after it was cleaned off). Perhaps I’ll see if I can keep it.

There was a door leading from this area and it led to a room with several other doors – an intersection of some kind. There was also a small closet in the room, that was notably completely free of dust. Valanthe had a hunch and tossed a coin inside, and it disappeared – some type of teleportation magic. We decided to investigate later.

One room had a source of evil beyond, and a very elaborate lock. This was the most intricate lock Valanthe had ever seen and it took her some time, and a fair bit of acid, to overcome it. Inside was another dragon statue with a key part in its mouth.

Of course, it wasn’t a statue – it was a gargoyle. It didn’t attack and likely wouldn’t until we entered the room. So we shrugged at each other and entered the room and attacked it. After we hacked it apart, we retrieved the key part and moved on.

One other empty room had a few sarcophagi with some minor coin [400sp blech and 2 gems at 10gp each].

There was one other door of note, mostly because there was a significant source of evil beyond it. And that is what we would face next.

Posted by Wizardru

As he decapitated Ahrlykikka, The Thezzizz of the Waking Dream wept openly. His beloved had defied the queen...and that tree bore only one kind of fruit. It was a minor infraction, so the penalty was merely death, and the queen had been gracious to allow him to slay his lady-wife personally. He had seen far worse fates befall others.
For several moments, he stared at the rapidly cooling corpse, watching her life light begin to fade, hearing her thought-voice stilled for all time. There was no death beyond life here...all knew this as law. Even if were possible, the queen would never allow it. Only one deserved life without ending, and it was she. Praise be the Queen, save us from her Mercy.

As was his right, he collected her Saduveem Crystals that had fallen to the ground about her. Most of these he smashed in the standard Vuuuum ritual, but three he retained from himself. Among these, he knew, was the Omnipitex...the one he should most certainly destroy. If the other members of his Ahmna'imha noticed this, they either chose not to speak or did not care. It was all the same to the Thezzizz. He tapped the ground three times to signal the end of the ritual. Tap. For their Freedom from the Oppressors. TAp. For the defeat of the Betrayers. TAP. For the eternity of the Queen. With the final tap, Ahrlykikka's echo faded from him and all life left her form.

As her form began to float upwards into the strangeways, it began to lose it's cohesiveness. Like a thing of smoke or liquid, it began to flow in different directions, affected by currents only the mind could perceive. As she floated higher and higher, she seemed to grow more difuse, until she was gone.

The Thezzizz looked at his Ahmna'imha. Their stony, gaunt expressions betrayed little, but he knew them well. The anger they bore was not for the queen, nor for his lost wife, nor even for the Omnipitex....it was for the disruption that would come. For the threat that must be stopped, lest the whole of the Unlent City be destroyed. They would wait, and they would fight.

Gripping the Omipitex in his chalk-white hand, the Thezzizz flowed his spirit into it. His eyes burned, and his soul felt as if someone had poured lava onto it. He was unaware if his scream was a real thing, or just a product of his mind. In the end, it didn't matter. Pain was just a tool, like everything else.

Unbidden, the images came to him...the images that led to his beloved's death. The images the queen would not heed. The images he would DESTROY.

A Chalice, gold as the sun, but filled with Shadows.

A Sword, forming the horizon, with the sun setting above, and the moon rising below.

A Bow, made of bone, that spit and burned.

A Crystal, that burned as if on fire, but could not be consumed.

A Dagger, pale like a ghost and yet engulfed in shadow.

Another Bow, made of wood and of glass, that glowed as if afire.

These were the enemy. They would come, in a day, in a year, in a century. It mattered little to the Thezzizz. He would wait, his sons would wait, and their sons after them, if need be. They would wait until the Saduveem Crystals all went black, if that is what it took. If his people had learned one thing during their oppression at the hands of the Illithid...it was patience.

---------------------------------------

Jozan blinked and rubbed his eyes. Another troubling dream. The third in as many nights. This one seemed easier to recall than the previous two. His Lady was sending him...what? Messages? Warnings?

He could not say. But he would understand them in time. It seems that his future held more strife, not less.

But he knew that on the day he swore his sword and his life. This was no different. Realizing it was time to return to the watch, he stretched and rose.

Another day had begun.

--------------------

Chapter 8

Dravot's post above relates to Chapter 8 - might want to read it first for context.

OOC Notes:

Experience this session is 2425 each, except for Dravot.

After careful consideration and thorough reflection, I have come to the conclusion that The Heart of Nightfang Spire sucks the left nut, pardon my French. Bruce Cordell will surely have to do pennance for this.

This Week’s Adventure:
Nightfang Spire. I can hardly say the name without spitting afterward. Foul. Wretched. Evil. Cursed. When I speak of the place, I’ve started doing so in Elven – the common tongue simply does not permit the proper expression of my contempt.

First things first.

We could feel several key sources of evil nearby, and braced ourselves for a battle. Little did we know how much of a battle it would be. We could make out the grunts of more girallons, but surely that would not be all. After Valanthe scanned the door, Jozan kicked it in.

We found an empty room with an opening to another room to the left. The occupants were all in the next chamber apparently, and we used concluded to wait where we were for them. I took a moment to throw up a shield, and others took similar steps.

Soon enough, apes started entering the chamber, and with them two mohrgs. Just as the battle was commencing, something came through the wall behind us – a hideous woman with skin the color of a purple bruise and draped with various pieces of hideous jewelry. She faded in from the ethereal plane, and threw a fast ray of enfeeblement at Rackhir, which he fortunately shrugged off. Then Scorch decided that perhaps we needed a bit of a boost and broke out, with no small cackle I might add, his newest trick – mass haste. It was rather exhilarating. I think without it we would all have surely died.

Rackhir turned on the creature, and with the added speed of the haste, filled her with steel and wood. She never actually hit the ground, dispersing into the ether before she landed. As the mohrgs and apes came from the front, we could hear pounding at the nearby walls – more apes were trying to break through and surround us. All we could do is work fast and pray.

Dravot attempted to turn one of the mohrgs just to get it out of the way, but it had no effect. I had a massive ape in front of me but I felt confident between my shield and the speed of the haste that it would have trouble laying its dirty paws on me, and opened fire, easily dodging the counterattack. Jozan and Valanthe had already slashed at it as it had entered, and I was able to kill it, and still have an arrow left for the mohrg.

Another ape appeared out of the ether – perhaps another polymorphed hag? This was quickly confirmed as another ray of enfeeblement struck at Rackhir, and again he shrugged off the effect.

Determined to pass the doorway, one of the apes charged Jozan to drive him back from the door, but Jozan out muscled the beast that was easily twice his size and drove IT back. Then another ape rushed at him, but still Jozan would not yield, and he held off that beast as well. Surely Sehanine was with him this day.

Unfortunately the walls were not as strong, and they collapsed in two places as the apes burst through, along with another mohrg from the front. Valanthe finished off the injured one and started on the new arrival. But we are still mobbed on all sides by the massive four armed apes.

Rackhir set to work, and filled the ape in front of him with arrows, and the ape could only return pained screams. Dravot energized his Sunhammer and smote the mohrg, tearing a massive section of its chest out – the thing was barely standing after that massive blow.

I decided the other hag was more the worry, and fired at her, but the first arrow had no effect on her. Rackhir was using arrows enchanted by Scorch, but my own rounds were not quite as powerful yet. Having no easy recourse, I instead killed the nearly-dead mohrg and then started on another ape. Scorch had no shortage of targets but his lightning bolt met with an unusual end – it hit the hag, and simply fizzled there, harming no one.

More apes came into the area. Valanthe set into one, nearly spilling all its guts on the floor. Rackhir tried to finish that ape but the arrow didn’t land deep enough. However he knew he was our best hope against the hag, and so moved to shoot at her. His bow didn’t let him down, and he sent that one back to the ether as well.

We had several injured enemies, and I decided it was time to lower the numbers. I finished one ape, then killed another, then started on a third. The haste was an enormous advantage for us. Jozan rushed one ape and killed it and then tore into another, easily avoiding its clumsy attacks.

The tide had turned, and what started as a massive crush of arms and teeth was now only a pile of corpses with the stench of dung and blood. We were all stunned and just stared at each other, amazed we had survived this onslaught.

[OOC: It was a fantastic battle, and it really looked bad for a while. That mass haste was everything though.]

We explored the general area. There were several more dead apes – odd since we had not killed these. There was some sort of fight here within the last week. Also there was a chest loaded with platinum and gems. While the pile was not large, the value was immense. The hags also had two magical rings.

Some of the apes had crude leather armor on them. This was most odd since the apes had not yet shown any signs of being capable of fashioning even this crude armor.

The next area was some kind of torture chamber but also had straw pallets that the apes likely used. Another hidden chest contained even more platinum and some star rubies. We also found a single coin on the floor. This was the coin that Valanthe used to test that the closet we found earlier was indeed a teleporter. However it seemed a horribly short distance to bother with a teleportation enchantment. Valanthe stepped into the alcove in front of where the coin landed, figuring that it lead back to the other room.

It did not.

Apparently it was a circuit covering a few areas of the tower. She was in a dark, empty room with a door. She stepped into the alcove again, and was moved to another location, and then again back to the room we found before. We were fortunate that she was able to return without incident. The move was impulsive, and quite unnecessary.

We continued to carefully explore the area. Another room had a large statue over a dried up fountain. The base was inscribed “Shatter the bonds of time until Ashardalon returns” and radiated transmutation magic. We figured there was little to gain in experimentation, and much to loose, and so we left it alone.

Another small room contained a stone sarcophagi, and a rather unfortunate gas trap. Valanthe did not detect it in time, and while Dravot and Jozan avoided the gas, Valanthe inhaled a great deal of it. It very nearly killed her, but an antidote poison restored much of her health, though she was still weakened.

The next room was tiled in onyx and white tiles though many were cracked and ruined. There were relief sculptures of humanoid faces, aflame with their mouths open in screams of agony. A sculpture of a dragon hung from the ceiling over an altar on which subtle runes were inscribed.

There was no evil but there was transmutation magic on this altar. The door leading from this room seems to have been replaced more than once, making us wonder what happened here.

The runes were in Draconic of course, which Valanthe cannot read. I stepped up to look at them, and was compelled to read them aloud. Dravot, also nearby, upon hearing me speak these ill fated words, was also compelled to read them.

“What surpasses Ashardalong, is more despicable than the Great Wurm; the poor have it, the rich need it, if eaten, death follows.”

None of us had any brilliant insights into what this meant. An answer tickled at the back of some of our minds but nothing came. Rather than risk remaining, we carefully withdrew.

The statue took that as our answer, and yellow beams erupted from its eyes, lancing at Dravot and myself. The searing beams burned me, but I’d gladly suffer that again to prevent what happened to Dravot.

He was dead.

I was angry. Very angry. I shouted in elven “I have had enough of this foul place!”

Scorch immediately contacted Lord Gelban, while we made a quick plan. I would return to Greyhawk with Dravot, returning the escort he did for me. The rest of the group would withdraw from the spire, and move the camp to prevent another attack by Redbone.

Thanks to the helm of teleportation, I arrived in my room in the moon tower carrying Dravot. I had not even gotten downstairs with him before the servants took him from me and put him on a litter. Lord Gelban was on hand and handed me a small bag containing many rubies, as an offering to the temple. Dravot was one of their own – they would have restored his life regardless, but Lord Gelban felt it necessary to obey the forms.

I took the bag and the servants accompanied me to the Temple of Pelor, where preparations were already underway. The acolytes took Dravot’s body from the servants, whom I then dismissed. I offered the gems to the priest, as per Lord Gelban’s instructions. He took them with some disdain – I had the impression it was not directed at me but rather the source of the offering. Clearly it wasn’t all that bad as he took them anyway.

The next hour passed in a blur, and soon, breath returned to Dravot’s lungs once more. He seemed to have an easier transition back than I did, and yawned as if just awakened. He also seemed quite aware of what happened. I can only imagine what death is like for a priest – perhaps something told him.

The priests fussed over him for some time. I’m sure they would have been happy to continue, but a gentle word from me and they left us in private, after glancing at Dravot who just gave them a nod.

I said nothing at first, knowing words would do little. After some silence, I asked "How do you feel?"

He said "Disoriented and a bit out of sorts, but otherwise ok. I spent several days in The Fields of Elysium, so I had the chance to get used to the notion of dying. Or as used to it as anyone can get. Everything seems a bit colder though. I miss the warmth of the Fields already."

I simply nodded and said quietly “The whole world seems colder now.”

Then it struck me "Hm, wait - several days? You were dead scant hours. I felt the passing of less than an hour and was dead nearly a day...."

Dravot was slightly puzzled but said “I have not studied the planes much, but from what I gather, time moves
differently on the various planes. Scorch would know much more than I would about this.”

I shrugged, and just assumed it beyond my understanding for now. Then I told him "I hope your faith gives you some comfort through this. You'll need all the comfort you can find I'm afraid. I can say, with authority, that a
cat helps rather a lot."

He looked thoughtful and said “I have a theory as to why I died. I do not know if it is true, but it makes a certain amount of sense to me.”

I was curious. “If you'd care to share, I'd be intrigued, as it all seems quite senseless to me.” As I said it, I grew more sad than curious. “If you prefer to keep this private, I certainly understand that too”

“I will probably share it with you, but until I gain some confidence in my theory, I will keep it to myself,” he said.

“Of course - I didn't mean to intrude. But for the time being, rest. I'll be in touch soon - the others have
withdrawn from the Spire, and I needs speak to our patron about this.”

Now he was curious. “That would be fine. I'm quite tired and need to regain my strength. What will you say to Lord Gelban?”

I was determined in this matter. “I will tell him that I believe it would be sheer folly for us to return to that evil place. It will only result in more senseless deaths, and I am doubting that we have the strength to stop Gulthias at all.
Given his hesitation to send us back last time, I doubt it will take much to convince him now.”

Dravot sat quietly for a moment, reflecting upon what I said.

“I agree and I disagree. For us to go back at this time would be suicidal. At the same time, I will exact revenge upon the Spire and the foul vampire that resides within. It may be months or years until I am strong enough to deal with it, but deal with it I will. Please let Lord Gelban know this.”

I began to smile a slightly wicked grin as he spoke of revenge. “Indeed. Gulthias should be destroyed. And we should extract some level of vengance for the price we have paid, forgive me for sounding like Rackhir for a moment.” I chided.

“But not today. But someday. Someday indeed.”

Dravot remained at the temple to rest, while I returned to the estate. I immediately sought out Lord Gelban, who wasted no time in seeing me. He was in his chamber pacing, clearly agitated, but no less so than I.

“Lord Gelban, the Spire has claimed not one but two lives now. While I would not argue that Gulthias is an evil which has claimed many more, and could claim many more, I will say that we are over-matched. That foul place will continue to kill us and Gulthias will be no worse for it. Dravot agrees that this is folly, though he would have you know that someday, when we are much stronger, he would like to return and exact vengance on Gulthias. But for now we must stop this.”

I was prepared to go on for quite some time if I needed to, but I didn’t think I would. Lord Gelban was just as agitated and concerned as I was, perhaps more so. After my death, he was hesitant for us to return. After this tragedy, he needed no convincing. He instructed me to arrange our return to Greyhawk as soon as it was workable.

Between Scorch’s teleportation and the helm, we were able to return the group, horses, Crescent and all, on the next morning. Lord Gelban met with us directly. He had no desire for us to meet a senseless death, and clearly the Spire was far more than any of the council had thought. He made us clear that not only did he not expect us to return, he did not wish it. He was actively opposed to our return, although he would not stop us if we were determined to go back.

I was strongly opposed to going back. The price paid was already too high, and the odds of success far too low. Rackhir was ready to return, but the rest were less firm in their opinions. Privately, I had already resolved not to return, regardless of what the others did. I was hopeful that my stubbornness, and the lack of one more able fighter, would deter them from entering that pit of doom.

Fortunately it did not come to that. We stood together and decided not to return. Lord Gelban told us that we had indeed weakened Gulthias, and that he could be contained for now. With the threat blunted, it was a matter that could be left til later, and we were all just as glad to do so. Lord Gelban said that he had no other pressing matters for us and that we would likely be able to take the coming winter to relax, or tend to whatever other tasks suited us. The idea of some time away from all this suits me well, and I welcome it.

There was of course the matter of the significant pile of treasure recovered from Nightfang Spire. Given the price we paid to get it, we were not about to forget about it.

We met for a bit of accounting, and decided what to keep and what to sell off, either through the midnight market or the Guild, via Scorch. It was an impressive list, and in the end we were all a fair bit richer, at least in terms of coin.

Now I have some months ahead that are my own. Certainly a visit home to Celene is in order, and a trip to Highfolk as well no doubt. I’ll leave in a day or two, but first I need to discuss something else with Lord Gelban.

Loot
Yeah the readers probably don’t care but I need to log this stuff for the record somewhere.

Magic items and what we did with ‘em:
Helm of teleportation: Dravot will wear in fights for tactical movement. It’ll float around as needed otherwise.
Ring of protection +2: Rackhir
Minor ring of lightning resist: Jozan (floats as needed)
Minor ring of fire resist: Dravot (floats as needed)
Ring of water walking: Sell
Ring of force shield: Sell
Potion of charisma: Jozan
Ghost bane dagger +3: Valanthe – our only +3 weapon right now besides Shatterspike when energized.
Necklace of fireballs: Sell
Bracers of armor +2: Kayleigh
Libram of flesh: Scorch
Rust Bag of tricks: Sell
Potion of aid: Sell
Wand of mage armor: Keeping it for emergencies. Who has this in their inventory?
Wand of magic missiles: Sell
+2 shield of light fortitude: Jozan

The cash total for all money and sold items comes to 14,844 gp each.

Last edited:

Zad

First Post
From Dravot's Journal

From Dravot's Journal - Heart of Nightfang Spire, Finale.

It has been a week since my last journal entry. We are back in Greyhawk, taking the winter off from campaigning. I sincerely hope that our enemies do the same.

I am still struggling to understand what happened a week ago. Certainly, I believe that I am dealing with it better than Kayleigh did, but I have learned that I did not give her enough credit for her strength in dealing with her own death.

Nightfang Spire marks the first time that we have had to retreat in the face of a larger foe. We did withdraw from the Bebelith, but we returned a few days later to take him out. This time we will have to wait months or longer before we are strong enough to wipe out the scourge of Gulthias from the Oerth.

I fought that death ray and almost overcame it's strength, but at the last moment, found that I lacked the fortitude to withstand it's deadly effects. That Kayleigh survived and I didn't confuses me, but I have a theory about it. I believe that Pelor sacrificed me as a message to me and my companions about the dangers further in the spire. I am better prepared to endure the mental and emotional anguish that results in one's death and resurrection.

I think that Gelban was right and in retrospect we should have never gone into the spire. We were drained of life essence time and again, and yet we continued. Kayleigh died, and yet we continued. Jozan endured not one, but two cowardly death attacks by the foul assassin, and yet we continued. We found ourselves surrounded by hags, mohrgs and girallons, and yet we continued. Our own stubbornness would have put us into a situation where no one would have escaped. The celestials even told me that Pelor has continuing need for my work upon the material plane. Had we all died, Chavram might complete his mad plans, or Iuz, or who else knows what.

And so I died that we might all continue on in our work. That is my belief. The celestials either didn't know or wouldn't tell me if this was the case. I will speak with Kunegunda about it tomorrow and see what she says.

Jasmine has been quite distraught since she heard about my death, and even my return and presence hasn't seemed to comfort her much. I have spoken with Bellamy and informed him of my recent state and have decided to head back to Brindinford for a few weeks, and take Jasmine with me. Hopefully, returning to home will help her, and me as well.

Bellamy says that progress has been made toward my eventual marriage, and I am curious to find out what that is, but need to speak with Thora about it. While I am there, I will continue to look for books for my new library, and I will start to assemble a workshop for creating the chalice.

--------------

The Fields of Elysium were amazing. It is my hope to travel there sometime soon when I gain the spell abilities to walk the planes. There is so much to learn and do there.

My plans for the chalice have been completed. The research I did while at the Fields was invaluable to me. Now I need to assemble my workshop and bide my time until I am mentally focused and ready to make it.

The celestials claimed that Pelor was quite pleased that I would make Belline's Chalice. I am still somewhat in awe of this statement...it is one thing to learn about Pelor's glory and his interest in his worshippers, it is another thing to hear from a celestial about specific facts of one's life. To hear that Pelor is pleased is even better.

The darkest time of my life is past me now and I walk forward in the light of Pelor, knowing that I am on the right path and that I do his will and it will lead to the defeat of evil upon this land.

Zad

First Post
Rant

RANT TIME

Ok, you read it. We are done with NfS. We gave up. We packed it in and went the hell home.

This is the first time our party has failed to achieve the objective, and the first time we gave up.

Lemme tell you something - we're not a weak group. We're not the greatest on defense, but we dish out major damage, and we entered NfS as six 10th level characters. Check the front - it calls for four 10th level characters. Wizardru usually beefs up the encounters a little to compensate but he didn't do much in NfS and it still kicked our asses.

How would I describe NfS? Hm. Arbitrary. Cruel. Mean-spirited. Overpowered. Grinding. In some points, simply ridiculous.

I believe it says in the DMG that an encounter appropriate for the party's level should drain about 25% of their resources. I got news for you: I don't think killing one out of four PC's is what they had in mind!

This place is crazy. If you're considering running your players through this dungeon, take my advice and don't. At least not at the listed levels.

Somebody must have pissed in Bruce Cordell's wheaties the day he wrote this module. It's nuts. The encounter levels are horribly under-rated. Death waits for you at several points if you just miss one single roll. Personally I don't think anyone likes PC's dying just because of a single bad roll - this isn't Paranoia after all. Wizardru told us some of the fun bits that awaited us had we continued and we were all so incredibly glad we didn't press on. The final encounter was a nightmare and I don't see how a party could survive unless they were four levels higher (we were 11th/12th by this point) or the DM was just giving out gifts.

At one point, Bruce has a golem. It's a tombstone golem. It's like a stone golem but he took out the "slow" ability and replaced it with a death touch. Every 1d4+1 rounds. Fail a save, die. Too bad, so sad, have a nice day.

Oh but he didn't even up the CR for this. Because that's about the same. Yeah right.

The spire has some interesting elements in it, but there are way too many of them piled up to make things hard for the PCs. The frequent hit-and-run attacks, the difficulty getting in and out, the respawning undead, this place is nuts.

So to Bruce, I can only say "What the hell were you thinking?" and "Did ANYONE playtest this?"

To the other DM's out there, I'll say "Don't do this to your players."

And to my fellow party members, "I'm SO glad we're outta there."

Zad

First Post
DM Observations

Originally posted by Wizardru

Heart of Nightfang Spire, The DM's perspective.

Well, we're done with Nightfang Spire, for now, and reasonably forever. Gulthias may return, but in conditions of my choosing, and the Spire ain't the place it's gonna happen.

PROS:

1). Interesting Monsters Nightfang Spire is full of some truly interesting monsters, and some mad challenges for the party. The classed beasties and mixed ability monsters keep the players guessing.
2). Varied Design The spire proper has a nice design, and there is a good mix of challenges within, requiring a diverse party to deal with them.

3). Evolving Environment The nasties within the spire are intelligent, and the design is such that return trips are not necessarily easier, depending on the player approach. The monsters respawn, hunt the players at their campsite, and ambush the party on occasion. The dungeon is not static.

CONS: There are a bunch of these.

1). Too Long. The amount of work to go through this module is an order of magnitude greater than previous modules. The players spent a large amount of time strategizing and buffing immensely before going in and getting out. Combine this with the dense packing of monsters and other challenges, and the module just starts to DRAG by the end. Most of the players were getting tired of the CRAWL aspect of the dungeon-crawl. Unlike Forge of Fury, where each area had it's own feel, Nightfang Spire is just more of the same.
2). Inappropriate Encounter Levels. Okay, the Tombstone Golem is an EL8. Right. With the SLAY LIVING ability. Gotcha. Half the encounters are EL Variable, which is no damn help at all, as they don't indicate what changes the EL of the encounter, such as the encounter of Aoket and the Spectres (that happening rock group). Gulthias himself is apparently expected to be encountered separately, although everything in the module indicates that by all logic, he shouldn't be. However, at a base EL of 16 (which I think is low), how is a group of four 12/13 characters to take him down, when he, by all rights, should have one EL9 creature and four EL3 creatures with him?

3). Arbitrary Events There is a trap in the catacombs that forces a DC22 WILL save, followed by a DC17 FORT save, followed by death. There are a variety of events like this.

4). Nonesensical Design Here's just a few of them:

Why is there a teleport chamber that only takes you to another room fifty feet away, that is easily walked to? No idea.

Why are there rungs for the Girallons on both tunnels (78/79), when one only takes you to the huge pit of undead? How do the girallons use it? Why would they bother?

How did the big battle between the Gulthias' follower and Free Girallons occur, given that you have to cross through several trapped rooms to get there...traps that no Girallon will ever trigger.

Why has the door to Ogunnon Sathas' chamber been marked as such? Who is this supposed to notify, exactly?

How do the Girallons see to work, with no light source? The Night Hags?

Why is the Key 'protected' in such an odd fashion? No logic is given for the key hunt design, especially since it doesn't affect Gulthias and his minions. Given that this was once a temple, why was it originally put in, in the first place? No Idea.
5). Unbalanced Layout Too much of the dungeon is concentrated into encounter sets. If you don't like fighting the Undead, you're not going to like most of the spire. The respawning monsters means that you'll KEEP fighting them, too. Rogues, Monks and folks with Keen weapons or improved criticals will be pretty bored for the first few levels.

SUMMARY

Heart of Nightfang Spire is not a bad module, but it has some serious flaws in it that I wish I'd identified earlier on, and taken steps to remove. I think the players would have enjoyed it more if I had, and would have removed some of the glaring problems that I had with it.

My players did enjoy a large part of the module...but it got tedious, for most. That, and the fact that the module almost seems mean-spirited towards the players, which is not the sort of environment I want to engender. HoNS is like SC, only turned up to 11, with its prerequisite errors much more glaring, even amidst the parts that are even more enjoyable.

Zad

First Post
The Binders

Originally by Wizardru

Being a treatise on the Binders (and other things):

By request, some information concerning the binders, among other things. Much of this information has been discussed in-game, but not all of it has filtered down to the Story Hour, so here's a brief overview. (Will, this one's for you )

1.) What are they?

Quite simply, they are magical prisons. To understand their full power, you need to understand the roots of magic. Here are the basic rules and history, therein.

• Magic was first discovered by the Dragons.
  • Magic was then discovered by the Elves, who proceeded in exploring it, despite the warnings from the Dragons [most notably from the being now known as The Silvering].
  • There are Nine Circles of Magic, also commonly known as 'Levels' in some circles.
  • Each Circle is originally accessed by a 'key'...basically a simple conceptual formula which 'unlocks' the energies at that level of power. Think of these almost as Zen Koans or basic mathematical concepts (such as development of the number '0'). Without discovery and understanding of these concepts, magic cannot be enacted.
  • Humans gained the ability to wield magic from two sources: Dragons and Elves. Those who were Dragontouched (from interbreeding) gained sorcerous powers, not always comprehending or fully utilizing their abilities. Wizards learned their craft from a rebellious faction of the Gray Elves during an extended conflict between the Suel and Baklunish empires in the distant past.
  • Although the Elves limited the access to the first three keys, they underestimated the ingenuity of the human wizards, who soon mastered the other keys.
  • Extended conflicts erupted, and the Elves soon found their great empire sundered, due to internal and external strife. Eventually, they fleed the west altogether, after dealing with both the 'Storm Lords' and the Suel, who were rapidly gaining power. Eventually, a powerful wizard name Vecna, who had been their prisoner, proved their undoing.
  • The Suel Wizards grew in power, and they eventually sought to bring all of the Suel tribes and houses under control. To this end, the mightiest wizard creates a powerful artifact, the first Greater Binder. (see, we're getting there!)
  • Into this he summoned and imprisoned the most powerful of the Djinni Princes, Ali ben Yalla.
  • There are nine princes of the Djinn, and each one is keeper to one of the nine 'keys' of power. Ali ben Yalla is master of the Ninth, and greatest, key.
    In turn, each of the nine princes were bound, three greater and six lesser.
  • The Greater Binders represent the First, Fifth and Ninth keys, and their masters. The Lesser Binders represent the remaining keys.
  • A Tenth Djinni was bound to an Artifact referred to as the Great Map, designed to monitor the Binders themselves, after their construction.

Hence, the Binders are powerful artifacts designed to hold the most powerful of the Djinn on the Prime Material Plane, and subject to the influence of powerful human wizards who possess them.

2.) What can they do?

They contain the power of some of the most powerful outsiders on the Prime Material. Able to grant wishes normally, the Djinn trapped with the Binders grant their possessors vast powers, but with different abilities and limits. The exact limits of each Binder are unknown to current records.

What is commonly known is that the Binders were stolen and traded back and forth between the Baklunish and Suel during the course of their centuries long conflict. Eventually, they were all reclaimed by the Suel, who decided to use their combined power to deal what they hoped would be their masterstroke to end the long war.

Through their combined power, the Binders were used to call forth the Invoked Devastation, leveling most of the west into the desert waste we know today. However, the Suel didn't count on the power of the Baklunish retaliation, and at the cost of their lives, the most powerful sorcerors and shamans amongst the Baklunish summond the Rain of Colorless Fire, destroying the Suel with equal vigor.

Survivors of both these events fled during and after them, some bearing the Binders with them, but few of the original masters survived long.

3.) So what happened next? How did the come to be hidden?

Put simply, the Gray Elves still felt responsible for the situation, and to this day many view the destruction of the West as partly the fault of the Elves, for giving such power to men in the first place. A coalition of the Dragons, certain Elves and humans sought to first destroy the Binders, and when that failed, sought to hide them until such time as a solution could be found.

The Great Map was constructed to monitor these locations. Internal strife and time took it's toll on those responsible for the construction of the Binder's sanctuaries and on those who marked themselves the Guardians of same. Only a handful remain who know even some of the details, at this late date.

4.) Where are they now? Who has them?

The most important questions, of course. Currently, Chavram is known to possess at least one, and claims to have three or more. Several are still at large, presumably due to their protection, although it is suspected that at least one has been claimed by another power. The full extent of Chavram's abilities have not been gauged, but with the Binder's at his command, his power is clearly rising to the level of demi-god, under the correct circumstances. However, he is far from invulnerable, and the Binders do have their limits. Learning that knowledge is another matter.

Next time, I'll give a brief summary of the mark of the Arcane Archers, and some more details of their nature.

Zad

First Post
From Valanthe's Journal

From the journal of Valanthe the Sleepless:

14th of Sunsebb, Godsday: Whether they’re human or dragons, men are generally all the same. Folks like Gelban and the Hammer, they’re not much different than other men I’ve known…a lot easier to figure out than elves, that’s for sure. So when the Hammer told me that there’d been a change of plans, and that he didn’t want me going after Infernus, after all the discussions we’d had about it, I was more than a little steamed. I made it clear that I didn’t need ‘protecting’, if that was the problem. Turns out it wasn’t…apparently there’s politics involved. Once he explained who Infernus was, it made sense. I didn’t like it…but it made sense.

Still, he did offer me a different job, which was good, as I needed the money. I wanted an edge, the kind only magic gets you…and that isn’t cheap. And I wasn’t taking charity from the Hammer. Ever. I’m terribly fond of him, but I’m my own woman, and I earn what I need. And I always pay my debts. If Ardestor taught me anything, he taught me that.

Needfest is only a few weeks away, so I wanted something. Surely there had to be someone who needed a little lightening of his or her evil burdens. Turns out there was. A sassy little enchantress in the High Garden district. She wasn’t a member of the guild, but the older order, the Sorcerer’s Society, or somesuch. She had her own little club, the Skullfire Mages, and she was NOT a nice lady. Apparently, she also was an expert in her own right in the type of magic that I was interested in: Tattoos. Hammer said that I’d need her backup spellbook, if I wanted him to make one for me. Ain’t commerce grand?

So I did some research. She owned a small estate, complete with stables and some housekeepers. A nice place, if you like that sort of thing, I suppose. Too much room for me, honestly, but a nice place to….explore. After I checked the place out, I visited the midnight market, and got a few supplies. Some scrolls and a few other things that I might need. A good thing, too, as they came in handy.

Mages think they’re pretty clever. Some of them are. A lot of them think that the only people who are going to bother them are other mages. This Jakara, or whatever her name was, she wasn’t quite that thick, but her defenses could use some sprucing up. Oh, there were some alarm spells…but come on, only the worst kind of amateur falls for those. Protecting a camp site’s easy…a house? Whole ‘nother matter. And when you can walk up walls, what good are they, really? Hmmph. I was worried it wasn’t going to be enough of a challenge.

As I snuck in, under cover of invisibility, I saw a servant bringing a horse out into the courtyard. I was patient. I like danger, but I’m not stupid. It took a while, but sure enough, the lady of the house came out, all blood and thunder. God, what ugly pale skin. I mean, don’t these mages get any sun? I work almost always at night, and I don’t look like a zombie. On her exposed shoulder, I could clearly see her ‘skullfire’ tattoo. Bingo. That would make things much easier. I thought.

I didn’t know then that she’d prepared a defense involving my one weakness.

Magic rugs.

No, really. Stop laughing and shut up, or I won’t finish the damn story.

I hate rugs. What is it with mages that they think they have to make every damn thing move, anyways? Are animated rugs what you make when you’re not smart enough to make a golem? Sheesh.

Anyways, I waited a while (making sure to avoid the creepy garden in the courtyard…who knows what was going on there), and then broke in to one of the back entrances. It led to a workshop or a library, I’m not quite sure.

I’m not sure because I was busy avoiding being strangled by a stupid magic rug. Luckily, I was faster than the rug (this time). I still managed to be quiet…which was a good thing, as her homunculus was paying attention. The little winged git was locked in a cage, so I just walked across the ceiling, and got the hell out of there. I glanced at the books, but I knew it wouldn’t be here.

So I worked my way through the house, and found the foyer. Wanna know what was there? I’ll give you a hint: floor coverings of evil. ANOTHER damned magic rug. This one had some sort of snake-hypnotism thing on it. I ignored it. At least it didn’t try to grab me. I kept searching, and then had to decide: up or down? If I were a mage, I’d put in the tower. I didn’t like the last mage’s basement I’d been into, so I went up. Being careful not to wake up the apprentice, I snuck in, and found the mage’s lab. Lots of tools for tattooing and other experiments. Too dangerous to store a book in. I kept searching.

I snuck around several of the servants and their quarters. Don’t know what they were doing, not paid to find out. I find ‘her ladyship’s’ bedroom. Tacky, I don’t mind telling you. Lots of knick-knacks, and imported goods. Who’s she trying to impress, anyways?

There was a fireplace, couch, desk and bed, among other things. The windows to the place were huge bay windows….which was funny, because the building didn’t have any, at least from the outside. Must have been an illusion. Whether this was, or the outside had one, I couldn’t tell. The bed had nothing of note (and wasn’t very comfortable, I might add). The fireplace had a crystal ball on it, but it seemed…wrong. I stared at it for several minutes…and felt myself falling into it, getting lost. I shook my head and snapped out of it. Stupid mage trap. At least it wasn’t a rug.

I found a bookshelf, with a few interesting books on it. Tattooing was a popular subject. But not magic spellbooks here. Not surprised, of course. Why would a mage just leave it sitting out in the open. It’s not smart, and it’s not the way they think. Just ask Scorch. There were also some books on music. She’d scrawled in one of them, a bunch of letters into different combinations, trying to make a word. After a couple of minutes I realized it was always the same five or six letters. I took a few books for myself and Hammer.

Finally, the desk. There was an ugly sculpture on it. A chunk of flat-topped granite with some horizontal lines carved into it, and a series of tall gemstones inserted into the lines. What the hell was this? I touched the stones, and they made a nice, lilting sound. Each one was a little bit different. It took me a minute to realize that they were notes on a scale. I experimented with it. No matter what I did, it always played the same tune. 4, 6, 8, 6, 2 and then 3. Hmmph.

Then it hit me: the combinations in the books. She’d been working on a keyword. You must have to figure out a word on the crystals, and that would do…what? Well, only one way to find out. I thought about it for a moment, and then did a quick listing of the scales. Kayleigh’d shown me something about music, and Mother Gota taught me how to play, so I figured it out. It was playing a word, all right, “FACADE’. I said the word aloud. Suddenly, the book shelf pushed away from the wall, and a secret vault opened. A secret closet! I grabbed a few books, including the one I’d come for. I thought about grabbing a few other things, like the wands I’d seen downstairs, but figured it was time to leave. I said the word again, and it closed behind me. Out the window and down the street time.

I had what I wanted, and now I could get my Shadowmark. I returned to see the Hammer and we "discussed" things later that night - he was really appreciative. Mind you, I still had to cover his costs, but that's what I
love about him.

I just hope Gelban doesn’t find out.

Zad

First Post
This brings us up to date not only with the new messageboards, but with where we are in the current game.

In reposting the story, I left a lot of small posts out mostly because it's too hard to move it all. Unfortunately I had to also leave out a lot of posts from people who have read the story and said nice things to us. That really saddens me as it's posts like that which help keep me writing. So to anyone who read and posted I just wanted to say "Thanks!"

Zad

First Post
This was all on the old thread but moving the story was enough work as it was. I would have loved to take all the nice things people said and copy them over too but it just wasn't practical.

Anyway, after the debacle of Nightfang Spire, Lord Gelban has informed us that there is nothing pressing demanding our attention, and that we probably have a few months over the winter while things remain that way. The characters have each gone off to tend to whatever individual interests they have during this time.

Rackhir has already posted what he's been up to with Chavram and the griffin.

Scorch has undergone some . . . interesting testing at the guild. That's about all I know though.

Valanthe has posted her latest escapade also.

Those three are "done" their winter vacations as it were. The other three have yet to be dealt with by WizarDru. Recent discussions are that while the above three were handled in e-mail, the other three might be handled in a mini-game session with just those players involved.

Dravot is planning on doing research on the mark, and tending affairs at home, probably shuttling between Greyhawk and Brindenford.

Jozan is, I believe, planning on learning more about the destruction of his village.

Kayleigh is planning to return home and visit her parent in Celene, and will also probably go to Highfolk and spend time with Aran'gel also.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Dravot has made arrangements for return for Brindinford, to take care of official business there (messages to the Overking, signing documents and, oh yes, wife-hunting).

Scorch and Dravot have been busy, as well.

Jozan and Kayleigh (and possibly Val) are travelling to Celene, for fun, family and shopping. And other stuff.

Hopefully, we'll resolve most of this material in the next few days, and the alpha game will get jumpstarted fairly quickly. :)

WizarDru

Adventurer
Final 'Dead of Winter' session tonight!

Tonight, we may resolve the most important thing we've ever handled in the Savage Sword of Meepo...[COLOR=orange-red]changing Jozan's NAME.[/color] :p You wouldn't believe the amount of confusion the DM's had keeping straight the fact that Jozan is the Paladin, and not confusing him with being Dravot the cleric, since that's the iconic cleric's name.

Starting with tonight's session, we'll be moving forward with the primary plots in the game, and leaving the WOTC modules behind. They're proving somewhat inflexible, and if I have to spend a large amount of time modifying them, it doesn't really save me any time over making my own, anyhow.

Tonight's session should resolve the outstanding issues for Dravot, Jozan and Kayleigh, and allow the primary game to move forward. Mind you, when the party reassembles, they're going to have to deal with a major problem before doing anything else, but that's an issue for the whole group. How they handle it will be more problematic, but we shall see. We haven't had a regular SSOM game since before the holidays, so everyone's pretty anxious to play, me included. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads