• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards R&D Seminar at GenCon 2007

KingCrab

First Post
That was a lot more info than I expected. Thanks for the recon!

Just a note or two on the info:

1. I'm expecting a lot of arguing about when an encounter actually ends and when a new one really begins with this new system.

2. I liked rope use. It made snese to me. Just cause someone can throw a grappling hook doesn't mean he/she knows how to make it brace against something.

3. I think hiding and staying still and moving silently should remain different skills. Why would they be the same thing?

Pyrex

First Post
Glyfair said:
I'll bet this will be misunderstood. I bet it means that wizards will have a "magic missle" available always, so he won't have to rely on backup weapons.

I suspect it'll look more like the Complete Mage [Reserve] feats than "magic missile all day".

marune

First Post
Razz said:
A lot of sacred cows are going to be at the slaughterhouse, apparently. This one about the beholder is just the beginning...sad sad time for D&D.

IMHO, that nostalgy was the biggest problem the 3.x designers encountered.

It wont be long before many thanks Mearls for hacking those cows in little pieces.

Wormwood

Adventurer
KingCrab said:
3. I think hiding and staying still and moving silently should remain different skills. Why would they be the same thing?

Why should sneaking past a guard required *two* separate skills, but bluffing him, intimidating him, or wearing a disguise requires only one?

Extraneous rolls are not fun.

Wormwood

Adventurer
skeptic said:
IMHO, that nostalgy was the biggest problem the 3.x designers encountered.

It wont be long before many thanks Mearls for hacking those cows in little pieces.

One man's sacred cow is another man's klunky vestigial artifact.

marune

First Post
Wormwood said:
Why should sneaking past a guard required *two* separate skills, but bluffing him, intimidating him, or wearing a disguise requires only one?

Extraneous rolls are not fun.

That's it ! And you can see in the Skills part of the text that many boring "you roll, fail and nothing happens" will be eliminated, that's wonderful!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Remathilis said:
leaked 2008 books? Did I miss something?
The 2008 PHB thread has some information from the Israeli distributor of what books to look for in 2008. Arcane magic, melee combat, dragons and some other stuff all get books. Unless gnomes will be in the arcane magic splatbook, reappearing in "an early supplement" might mean 2009. :(

Honestly, I hope that whatever PHB races they axe shows up, in at least draft form for 10 levels or so, on D&D Insider.

Sammael

Adventurer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
The 2008 PHB thread has some information from the Israeli distributor of what books to look for in 2008. Arcane magic, melee combat, dragons and some other stuff all get books. Unless gnomes will be in the arcane magic splatbook, reappearing in "an early supplement" might mean 2009. :(
FRCS 4E will be out in August...

Remove ads