• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizards R&D Seminar at GenCon 2007

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
The Mirrorball Man said:
What does that have to do with a new edition? Isn't all that pretty much the DM's turf?
Apparently, props, pacing, characterization, and sense of humour are all now strictly controlled in the 4E core rules. Ettin heads must talk to each other. Period. End of discussion.

Glyfair

Explorer
Pyrex said:
I suspect it'll look more like the Complete Mage [Reserve] feats than "magic missile all day".
I don't think so. They have said "once you run out of spells you won't be useless" whereas reserve feats are "as long as you save a spell you won't be useless."

Glyfair

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
The 2008 PHB thread has some information from the Israeli distributor of what books to look for in 2008. Arcane magic, melee combat, dragons and some other stuff all get books. Unless gnomes will be in the arcane magic splatbook, reappearing in "an early supplement" might mean 2009. :(

Honestly, I hope that whatever PHB races they axe shows up, in at least draft form for 10 levels or so, on D&D Insider.

Half-orcs could be in the melee combat book.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Elephant said:
Huh? I was reading the thread, and this seemed glaringly out of place. Who is casting aspersions?

Me too-- since it follows my post, I hope my post wasn't seen as casting aspersions on Mearls... :confused:

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
When are gnomes coming back? :(

None of the leaked 2008 books seem to be an obvious home for them.
What about the Monster Manual?

They've commented that the Player's Handbook and the Monster Manual will give you everything you need to play a goblin PC - so why not gnomes?

Legildur

First Post
Just to share a little laugh, I noticed the reference to dndinsider.com above and went to the page, clicked to add it to Favorites and went to rename it as simply '4th Edition', but accidently hit the shift key and typed '$th Edition' instead. :D

Anyway, no idea yet whether my groups will migrate to 4th Edition (we've been playing The World's Largest Dungeon for 2 years and just made 8th level), but the 'fixes' to the magic item creation system sound great to me.

Talgian

First Post
Michael Morris said:
Mike Mearls is the lead developer for 4th edition. The other panelists where Rich Baker, Andy Collins and Bill Slavesiek.
Is this right? I thought all the other information, like the videos and the stuff at Wizards indicates that Collins, Cordell, and Heinsoo are the leads, and Mearls is under them.

Remove ads