Wizard's Spell Book Allocation

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
The PHB specifically mentions giving Wizard PCs bonus spells for them to add to their Spellbook as a treasure-equivalent.
If one of my players had chosen to be a Wizard, I would have definitely been giving them bonus spells.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Yeah, don't be afraid to hand out a lot of the exact same spells the wizard already has, or as what is in a given wizard NPCs entry. In reality you're going to find only one to two different spells each time an enemy wizard is defeated, if that many.

WaterRabbit

Explorer
The corollary here is if you give out the spellbook, can the PCs sell it and for how much? Can the PC wizard copy the spells from the book into his and then sell the spellbook?

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The corollary here is if you give out the spellbook, can the PCs sell it and for how much? Can the PC wizard copy the spells from the book into his and then sell the spellbook?
You can totally copy the spells and then sell the spellbook. The cost might vary based on the buyer and how common the spells are.

A 1st level wizard with only a handful of spells might pay quite a lot of money (assuming he has plenty of it) for a book with a number of 1st and 2nd level spells. That same spellbook might be worth very little to a wizard of 5th level or high who might only find a couple of additional spells. A book containing high level spells, especially those of 6th level or higher will probably always go for a high amount. How much is probably campaign dependent.

BlivetWidget

Explorer
You can totally copy the spells and then sell the spellbook. The cost might vary based on the buyer and how common the spells are.

A 1st level wizard with only a handful of spells might pay quite a lot of money (assuming he has plenty of it) for a book with a number of 1st and 2nd level spells. That same spellbook might be worth very little to a wizard of 5th level or high who might only find a couple of additional spells. A book containing high level spells, especially those of 6th level or higher will probably always go for a high amount. How much is probably campaign dependent.

Agreed, but I would recommend keeping the spellbook anyway. Copy what you already know into it, and have a backup spellbook.

Remove ads