Wizards wanted to fire us, so can we fire them for setting laziness

Remathilis

Legend
Seriously if 6E comes out in a couple years and FR is still the default setting then I am done, I am moving to PF2 or any number of other options. Very tired of the Misbegotten Realms and campaign books set in them.

Go to Paizo. They have one setting: Golarion. It's a world of generic fanatsy tropes smashed together to create a generic fanatsy world. It's a setting where gunslingers, samurai, alchemists, barbarians and occultists can adventure together and go fight Cthulhu. They have no other setting; even Starfinder is the far future of this world. They have used the same world for 10 years with no intention of using another setting.

But it's not the Realms, I guess.

epithet

Explorer
The only problem I have with the approach WotC takes to their settings at the moment is that no one can use Greyhawk or Dark Sun for products on the DMs guild. You can sell an elaborate guide for running an old series of Greyhawk modules in 5e FR, but you can't sell a guide for running that same series in its native region under the current game edition. I know there are folks out there like GreyhawkGrognard that have a bunch of content ready to go for the DMs guild store if they'd just set aside their apparent fanatical devotion to Drizzitland.

I don't actually want them to publish official content for Greyhawk, really. I have a concern that if they did, they'd eventually and inevitably turn it into the Forgotten Realms, which would be a shame. There are people out there, however, who could turn a tidy profit for themselves and for WotC by providing gazetteers, expansion levels, conversion notes, etc. for people's favorite settings, and at the moment they're being shut out (unless their favorite setting is the FR.) It's one thing to pick a generic setting as the default for all your published adventures, its quite another to prohibit everyone else from using any other setting in content they put up for sale on the DMs guild site.

Chaosmancer

Legend
And finally, with the upcoming Dungeon of the Mad Mage, they might just be giving us a real glimpse of those other settings. They've mentioned that they intend each level of Undermountain to be its own distinct setting (the idea being that Halaster has actually teleported creatures and ecosystems from across the multiverse into his megadungeon) . . . which will be homebrew fuel for this newbie DM.

And this is why I read threads like this, there is always something I hadn't heard of that is either super interesting or really good to know.

Thank you Bitbrain

Remove ads