WizKids is Publishing the Next D&D Adventure Board Game in March

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
From an article on ICv2.

article said:
WizKids is not designing the game; the sales sheet states that "Wizards of the Coast... is designing and developing the game."

It is supposed to be compatible with Wrath of Ashardalon and the rest, though details are sketchy. The info is from a published, and then removed, sell sheet.

Thaumaturge.

Boarstorm

First Post
Yeah, I suppose that fits the time frame better. I withdraw my bet of worthless currency. I might lose, and I can't afford that.

fjw70

Adventurer
Intersting since these games are roughly based on 4e rules. I guess they didn't want to repeat the blunder they made when they switched the minis game rules from 3.5 to 4e.

Boarstorm

First Post
Honestly, even with the enthusiasm I hold for WotC in general and D&D in particular, I'm unlikely to buy this game if it's a rehash of the older board games (as all indications agree it will be). I just didn't enjoy them.

Now, Lords of Waterdeep, on the other hand...

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Intersting since these games are roughly based on 4e rules. I guess they didn't want to repeat the blunder they made when they switched the minis game rules from 3.5 to 4e.

Word is that the boardgames have done quite good business for them and kept the D&D brand afloat when the RPG was going through a downturn. Why mess with a good thing?

Plus the boardgame rules are barely "4e" like. It feels much more like Gauntlet or Diablo on a tabletop than it does 4e to me. (Which is not a knock - I like playing the D&D boardgames. Especially Wrath of Ashardalon which has had a lot of replay value in my house).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In the long-run, Tyranny of Dragons is probably going to be the lightest of the 5E adventure events. Designers are focused on core rules, so no player tie in nook, no board game. Next thing we know, there will be an Elemental Evil cartoon!

Remove ads