D&D 5E WizKids New Minis line for D&D encounters/settings.

darjr

I crit!
Boxed sets designed to work with a previously released encounters or settings.

WizKids unveiled D&D Icons of the Realms: Showdown Setting - The Temple of Light, a new miniatures boxed set, for release into retail in October 2022.

This product introduces the D&D Icons of the Realms: Showdown Settingsline. These new boxed sets allow players to add miniatures to specific encounters from D&D's library of adventures. The sets will include miniatures, a map, and terrain features all pertaining to a specific scenario. The Temple of Light boxed set is for an upcoming adventure that is part of the D&D Spelljammer: Adventures in Space release (see "'D&D Spelljammer: Adventures in Space'").

I see Wizkids is launching a lot of D&D miniatures. I guess it is because they are sold very well. I wonder about possible future Hasbro's plans for Wizkids if this can make money with the licenced products.

R_J_K75

Legend
It's about time! I've spent the last twenty years asking them to do this. Too bad back when it was much more cost-effective they didn't think of doing this.
$80 is steep for a specific encounter set of minis. Obviously they look of really nice quality and you can repurpose them for other encounters but its just not for me. Though they must be selling well if they are commanding that price. Like I said with the Spelljammer minis though there seems to be too many things boxed together that I'd never use and would prefer singles or smaller sets. The asteroids in that set just seem like throwaways, I could spray paint a ball of paper wrapped in masking tape and get the same effect.

pukunui

Legend
$80 is steep for a specific encounter set of minis.
This was always the argument for why minis are mostly sold in random blind boxes - it somehow keeps the prices lower than if you know what you're getting ahead of time.

As much as I love the idea, I just can't justify buying minis anymore - either blind boxes or these sorts of sets. They're just getting to be too expensive on their own, and then international shipping is getting crazy expensive too, so yeah ... no more minis for this guy. :(

R_J_K75

Legend
This was always the argument for why minis are mostly sold in random blind boxes - it somehow keeps the prices lower than if you know what you're getting ahead of time.

As much as I love the idea, I just can't justify buying minis anymore - either blind boxes or these sorts of sets. They're just getting to be too expensive on their own, and then international shipping is getting crazy expensive too, so yeah ... no more minis for this guy. :(
No matter what minis or format they choose to release they can never please everyone. As they've seen less use at my table more and more as the years go by, I can't justify the cost. I think I'd be willing to pay a little more for a single mini that I knew I wanted and would use. Hypothetically, if I could spend $500 to buy singles to put together fleets of Spelljammers from different factions, I'd be more inclined to open my wallet.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

The price can be lower because people have to buy more blind packs to get what they want, so the mini manufacturermakes their mobey in bulk.. That's the theory, at any rate.

R_J_K75

Legend
so the mini manufacturermakes their mobey
If they made a Moby mini I'd make sure the PC's brutally won every encounter with it.
Moby.jpg

Remove ads