D&D 5E WizKids New Minis line for D&D encounters/settings.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
The price can be lower because people have to buy more blind packs to get what they want, so the mini manufacturermakes their mobey in bulk.. That's the theory, at any rate.
Well, that plus they're going to sell more volume. The number of people who can/want to use a specific group of minis for a given encounter is always going to be lower than the number of people who want assorted minis for general use.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
I would have loved a set like this for Rime.

If I were to buy all 3 aspects of Auril from the blind box set it would be around $100 if I could find them in stock anywhere.

I would pay $80 for a set of the main characters rather than hoping to open them in a box. I'm not spending $500+ on a case just to get them.

aco175

Legend
What, no mention of the other release in the article of... Book Tabs for the 3 core books. Now you can tab chapters of your books for $9.00 each. Not sure how I feel about this. Partly think that it should come with tabs and partly think I have blank tabs that I use for several places already and would not spend the money. I can see where some may like it though.

1654707134115.png

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
What, no mention of the other release in the article of... Book Tabs for the 3 core books. Now you can tab chapters of your books for $9.00 each. Not sure how I feel about this. Partly think that it should come with tabs and partly think I have blank tabs that I use for several places already and would not spend the money. I can see where some may like it though.

View attachment 250511
Yikes! Nine Bucks! Three bucks max seems more in the right ballpark to me.

But regardless I just bought a pack of blank ones at Staples a while ago and used those.

The price can be lower because people have to buy more blind packs to get what they want, so the mini manufacturermakes their mobey in bulk.. That's the theory, at any rate.
There was also the benefit of no leftover stock on the shelf, and only one SKU per set so easier management for stores and distributors. Moving to non-blind objectively killed the line. The cases had one each of troll, frost giant, war demon, cyclops, unicorn, hippogriff. The hippogriff and unicorns were pegwarmers that stores were stuck with, and had to order more of to get more trolls, demons, etc. They clogged the shelves for years after, while even the weakest of blind packs were sold out. Blind packaging also made commons/uncommons dirt cheap on the secondary market. Back in the day, you could get general D&D staples like orcs, zombies, skeletons, etc for about 50 cents a pop.

The price on those book tabs seems less gougey when you consider there are 168 tabs for the PHB and 92 tabs for the MM and DMG.

But then—after 30 tabs or so, each additional tab actually reduces functionality for something like this. I guess the idea must be that different people consult different pages, so you just apply the ones that matter to you.

Still, I pity the folks (and you know they're out there) who will apply all the tabs and then have to spend as much time finding the tab they need as it would have taken to just flip through the book...

Last edited:

Remove ads