[WOIN] Archaic Careers Beta For Free (Sort Of)!

If you're one of those who was waiting for the O.L.D. character creation book rather than the (recently released) futuristic NEW one, it's a good day! As of right now, [WOIN] Archaic Careers is available in beta format on RPGNow. You can use the below discount coupon to download it right now for free. Not only that, if you do so, you'll get the final version updated for free in about 3 weeks (otherwise you'd have to buy the final version). "Create knights, burglars, mages, musketeers, and berserkers in this sourcebook for the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system."

If you're one of those who was waiting for the O.L.D. character creation book rather than the (recently released) futuristic NEW one, it's a good day! As of right now, [WOIN] Archaic Careers is available in beta format on RPGNow. You can use the below discount coupon to download it right now for free. Not only that, if you do so, you'll get the final version updated for free in about 3 weeks (otherwise you'd have to buy the final version). "Create knights, burglars, mages, musketeers, and berserkers in this sourcebook for the What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. roleplaying game system."

Click here to redeem the coupon. It will add the PDF to your RPGNow cart for $0.00.

With over 40 careers, 7 races, and a wide selection of skills, traits, and exploits, this book walks you through the character creation process. Select your character's early careers using the life-path system to create inspiring Grand Elf musketeers, shy Mountain Dwarf assassins, brilliant Human firemages, naive Smallfolk clerics, or brawny Orc barbarians.

Will your character be a master of lore, a warrior with shield and sword, or a sneaky burglar? A notorious assassin, a wily con artist, or an inquisitor seeking justice? Only you can decide!

The deal! Like with the Future Careers book recently released, there is a non-monetary cost. This is the last crowd-sourced proofread, basically. So the price is this: if you download the book, please create and post a character in the comments. So it's not totally free; a little participation is requested! I hope you find it fun.

168216.png

ZickZak

Explorer
Have a look at it and see! It's not very similar at all, either in tone or mechanics. Much flatter, broader advancement, designed to cover a character's lifetime.
Thanks for the reply. I cant make myself read it. I will wait for some of those comparsions on blogs or youtube video.

One Shot

First Post
Here's Cornelius Agrippa updated to fit the Rules Reference Document.

Cornelius Agrippa
A brilliant young human mage who collects books

STR 3 (2d6)
AGI 3 (2d6)
END 3 (2d6)
INT 4 (2d6)
LOG 10 (4d6)
WIL 6 (3d6)
CHA 3 (2d6)
LUC 6 (3d6)
REP 4 (2d6)
MAG 7 (3d6) – 21 MP

Size: Medium
Health: 30 (49 if using cinematic mode)
Soak: 4 (leather armor)
Melee Defense: 14 (foresight)
Ranged Defense: 14 (foresight)
Mental Defense: 18 (meditation)

Unarmed: 2d6 (1d6+2)
Staff: 2d6 (2d6)
Ray of Light 4d6 (2d6+1 over 30‘ to 1 Creature) for 6 MP

Speed: 4 squares
Jump: 6'/3'
Carry: 60 lbs
Initiative: 2d6

Max Dice Pool: 5d6 (5 Grades)
Careers:
1) Wizard’s Apprentice (9 years)
2) Loremaster Grade 1 (3 years)
3) Mage Grade 1 (3 years)
4) Mage Grade 2 (2 years)
5) Mage Grade 3 (3 years)

Skills:
Compulsion (4 Ranks) (2d6)
Movement (2 Ranks) (1d6)
Illusion (1 Rank) (1d6)
Divination (1 Rank) (1d6)
Evocation (1 Rank) (1d6)
Healing (1 Rank) (1d6)
Astronomy (1 Rank) (1d6)
Linguistics (1 Rank) (1d6)
History (1 Rank) (1d6)
Foresight (3 Ranks) (2d6)
Meditation (1 Rank) (1d6)

Exploits:
Trait Brilliant: Your mind is honed, sharp, and analytical. Once per day you may replace any other attribute check with a LOG check.
Explorer: Driven by an inquisitive, exploratory nature, you gain bonus XP equal to your grade every time you take a journey of more than one week. You cannot gain this bonus more than once per month.
Arcane Secrets: Humanoids, Light.
Specialization (Humanoids): You may exceed your MAG attribute by 2 points when using the secret Humanoids. You may only ever specialize in one secret.
Identify: You can automatically identify a magical item, its name, and its properties.
Attuned: You are able to detect magic easily. You do not need to make any kind of attribute check to detect magic within 30', and are aware of its existence automatically.
Aim: This grants +1d6 bonus to a ranged attack roll taken in the same turn. The attack action must come immediately after the aiming action.
Signature spell: Compelling Handshake (Compulsion Humanoids – Average Subtle Compulsion: 1 round, touch, 1 creature – 9 MP, 1 action, +1d6) You increase a target's position on the autonomy status track by two steps. The creature is unaware that it has been controlled, and cannot shake off the effect, which lasts for 1 round.
Spell: Ray of Light (Evocation Light – Elemental Damage 2d6+1: Inst, 30‘, 1 creature – 6 MP, 2 actions)
Plus a lot of other spells.
Equipment: leather armor, staff, backpack, 51 gc, some books (by hook)

TildenThorne

First Post
I really enjoy this character creation system... Here is my first effort. (This is sort of a standard build type I shoot for when trying a new game)

A youthful, ambidextrous sylvan elf knight with a taste for pipeweed
Medium sentient fey humanoid (grade 5; max dice pool 5d6) - Careers: Noble, Archer, Minstrel, Druid, Knight
STR: 5 (2d6), AGI: 6 (3d6), END: 6 (3d6), INT: 5 (2d6), LOG 4 (2d6), WIL: 5 (2d6), CHA: 5 (2d6), LUC: 4 (2d6), RAD: 4 (2d6), MAG: 6 (3d6) beasts, lightning
Health: 30, Soak: 6 (scale mail), Vuln: -, Melee Defense: 14 (20 w/ shield), Ranged Defense: 14 (20 w/ shield), Mental Defense: 11
Initiative: 2d6, Perception 2d6, Carry: 110 pounds, Speed: 5, Climb: 5, Jump: 12'/5'
Actions: 2, Natural Damage: 1d6+2
Longbow: 4d6 (2d6+2 piercing, range 20), Longsword: 4d6 (2d6 slashing), Short Sword: 4d6 (1d6+2 slashing)
Skills: Bows 2 (1d6), Concentration (1d6), Foresight (1d6), Heraldry (1d6), Infusion (1d6), Movement (1d6), Nature (1d6), Riding (1d6), Stealth (1d6), Swords 2 (1d6)
Exploits & Traits: Aim, Ambidextrous, Animal Companion - Wolf, Arcane Secret - Lightning, Bonded Mount, Fey, Healthy, Instrument, Natural Affinity - Beasts, Rapid Shot, Silver Spoon, Trance, Unimpeded, Young
Gear: high quality musical instrument (crwth), large shield, longbow, longsword, scale mail, short sword, superior quality clothes; some remaining gold coins.

I believe I got it all right... A way to attack twice in melee and at range... A cool mount... A wolf just making sure no one talks tough... A way to make cash (and friends) at the inn (music)... And I am hoping the magical skills to add a little lightning to my weapon attacks (maybe?) and play with some movement effects (hopefully on my mount and wolf?)... I think I am understanding magic but I still have no idea how spells work yet... But that is what I was thinking when I purchased those magic skills (Infusion, Movement and the Secrets of Beasts and Lightning).
I really have to say... I may have tried to cover too much ground, but I checked the pre-made characters and this seems to hold up ok... But, this character just looks to be a LOT OF FUN out of the gate! I may change my tune after I get to play the idea (if ever) but WOW! You do not usually get to have this much fun right off the starting line!
I am now VERY excited to see the rest of this game system... Play with the spell rules... And see if this motley pile of numbers and a cliché habit will actually play well with others ;)
Anyway... Great work so far... Looking forward to see how this looks in the end!

Last edited by a moderator:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That looks awesome, [MENTION=6781228]TildenThorne[/MENTION]!

I'm sending the final proofread version off to layout today. Thank you guys for the help!

Remove ads

Remove ads