• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WOIN N.E.W. Space Opera [OOC]...

GreenKarl

First Post
I edited the first post but also...

XP and Advancement

OK just too formally spell this out:
Too advance a Career Grade is the Grade x5 in XP
For Incremental Upgrades...
**To raise an Attribute is the new level x2 in XP (raising STR from 9 to 10 costs 20XP, while increasing a skill rank from 2 to 3 costs 6XP)
**To purchase a new Universal Exploit (cannot purchase career exploits separately) cost half the price of a new grade (so Grade x2.5 XP)

Shayuri

First Post
When you advance a career grade, you choose a career and add the benefits? This was something I was unclear on from the book. Or do you just pick more skills, attributes, etc etc? If you choose a career, does it have to be one you've 'used' during the game?

Also, is the 'androids pick 2 modifications' being used in your game, since we've heard from the writer that it's going to be canonized in the next book coming out? :)

GreenKarl

First Post
Well from my reading you get all the "stuff" you would get from an new Career, 4 points in Stats, 2 skills and an Exploit. Now I am not 100% on this but thats my understanding...

Shayuri

First Post
That's how it looked to me too, GK, about ranking up, but I wasn't sure in hindsight if you -could- choose a career (with access to career exploits), or if you were -obliged- to pick a Career, or if Careers are only chosen during character generation and not afterwards.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Okay, have to say that I am interested. I remember making some characters a couple years back for a contest Morris had and really enjoying it. Have room for another player? What roles need to be filled on the team? I'll get the books and see what I can work up. Looks like a Face might be helpful? Or maybe a medic?

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Yeah, adding a new career is like leveling up. All four attribute increases, 2 career skills and an exploit.

And actually, there are 2 ways to level up. XP and time. If you spend downtime, usually 1d6 years, you can advance a grade without needing to spend XP. I suppose that would be for people who want to use their XP for exploits and such.

[MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION] Hey just wanted to give you a heads up but you can't just read someones mind with empathy if the target is unwilling. You would need to make a PSI vs Mental Defense check. Rule is on page 62 under "Checks and attacks" of the NEW core book. Wanted to bring this to your attention as Axel is a Psycher and would be actively preventing others from reading his thoughts and emotions.

Remove ads