• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wolverine looks awesome!!!

Felon

First Post
Not exactly. Marvel's learned not to sell the rights, and they're making their own movies. But they haven't regained any rights they'd already sold. Sony still has Spider-Man, and Fox (alas) still has X-Men.
Goes even farther than that. Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, and some others that haven't even got movies are still optioned.

For Marvel Studios, it's Avengers characters or bust....for now. There's even been talk of Hawkeye and Ant-Man movies.

The Wolverine movie--for good or ill--is the product of the same studio and executives who gave us X3, not the studio that gave us Iron Man or Hulk.
Did someone other than Fox make X1 and X2, or are you just focusing on the negative?

Felon

First Post
I know I am in a minority, but I have never been a fan of Wolverine, as a character.

Having said that, the trailer looks great -- but, of course, it does what a trailer is supposed to do -- clip for us several action highlights.

Despite not being a Wolverine fan, I'll still watch it, and you know, I'll probably sill enjoy it on some level.

Several xmen shown there, I wonder how many have a cameo and how many have some focus as sideline characters....
Gambit (he had several clips in the preview, so guessing he's more than a single cameo scene).
Deadpool (guess based on physical appearance)
Blob (guess based on physical appearance)
Sabertooth (guess based on physical appearance and tie to wolverine's comic background)
Silver Fox ? (or whatever that girl's name is, in the comics, that wolverine liked from his candian group that was killed by sabertooth -- am guessing soley based on that scene where Wolverine is holding a dead girl in his arms and mourning her loss)

And some woman that appeared to turn white/silver? Or maybe that was silver fox again -- i never knew what her power was.

And there was a brief flash of a young black girl with white hair.. the fact that they even had a clip of her in the preview makes me think she's important... a young storm? i think there is some comicbook story where wolverine does meet a young storm (but i could be mixing something up).

who else did you guys/gals notice?
The girl turning to crystal is probably a young Emma Frost. Don't ask me why, but for some reason some writer thought telepathy would be well-complemented by the ability to turn her body into organic diamond. The little black girl with white hair is undoubtedly Storm. For the rest, our observations sync up.

Is that guy he's fighting at the end supposed to be Sabretooth? If so...what a letdown. They got him right in X1. They guy there looks like some lame Dracula wannabe.

Darth Shoju

First Post
The girl turning to crystal is probably a young Emma Frost. Don't ask me why, but for some reason some writer thought telepathy would be well-complemented by the ability to turn her body into organic diamond.

I believe that writer was Grant Morrison. I'm not sure why he decided to do that either.

EDIT: an interesting tidbit from Wikipedia on this:

Emma Frost - Wikipedia said:
Using Frost as a character was suggested to writer Grant Morrison on his website by a fan. While writer Grant Morrison initially had no plans to use her, the death of the character Colossus left Morrison with an opening.<sup id="cite_ref-5" class="reference">[6]</sup> He created Emma's secondary mutation--a super strong diamond form--as a replacement for Colossus' powers and added her to the cast.<sup id="cite_ref-6" class="reference">[7]</sup>

Is that guy he's fighting at the end supposed to be Sabretooth? If so...what a letdown. They got him right in X1. They guy there looks like some lame Dracula wannabe.

Yeah. On the one hand, the guy they've got now (Liev Schreiber) is a pretty decent actor, but on the other hand he's way too small. While I was watching the trailer, I was wondering how Sabretooth was going to grow 10 inches taller by X1.

Last edited:

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
By the looks of it there's going to be alot of cameos.. I just pray that young Scott Summers no shows this film.

Cyclops is my favorite character, so I also hope Scott Summers is not in this film...for entirely different reasons than you do.

I know I am in a minority, but I have never been a fan of Wolverine, as a character.
Hello, friend.

Did someone other than Fox make X1 and X2, or are you just focusing on the negative?

What in that list isn't the negative?

I'd say the difference in quality has far more to do with Bryan Singer (The Usual Suspects) directing X1 and X2 and Brett Ratner (Rush Hour 1-3) directing X3.

Yeah, that's probably why X3 was even worse than the first two.

*Sigh* Guess I'll stop hating on Wolverine's big feature movie. It's only the fourth this decade to focus on him, after all.

Sure it was Fox, but they had different studio heads, and yes, it was interference from the studio execs that caused a lot of the crap that was X3.

So for all practical purposes related to the issues in question, they might as well have been different studios.

Felon

First Post
What in that list isn't the negative?
Looking at how much both critics and audiences enjoyed all three of them, the answer is none of them should be looked at as negative. They collectively took the franchise and the genre a long way, and without them there's no Wolverine movie.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
See, if it was the Wolverine I knew, it would be rated "R". Figure it will be a good movie, action and FX driven, but he will not be the hardcore berserker.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads