Wonder Woman Spoilery Review

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Why, where is this fictional island? Is it nearer to Gotham? Or Metropolis? Or Star City? Central City? National City? Grodd's Gorilla City?
It is near Turkey. Remember Turkey? Turkey is where Chris Pine stole Dr. Poison's notebook and stole a plane. The same plane he was in when he crashed near the island. Now, I'm not too familiar with WWI planes, but I'm pretty sure the plane he stole didn't have enough fuel to fly from Turkey to just-one-day-away-from-London-by-boat. It also needs to be waters controlled by the Germans because a German boat followed Pine to the island.

Close to Turkey, island, waters where Germans go freely, Ares, Zeus, Amazons... The island near Greece.

But this is over thinking it. The writers didn't put that much thought into this.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
Just got back. Loved it. That film had heart, and Gadot has some serious charisma. It was funny where it needed to be and poignant where it needed to be without feeling too preachy. The action was superb - although i I had one criticism about the final battle its that I don't like the glowy special effects package that WB seems to have bought a job lot of.

The over-over the top nature of the final battle would be one of my very few criticisms of the movie, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the whole.

cmad1977

Hero
The over-over the top nature of the final battle would be one of my very few criticisms of the movie, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the whole.

This is basically my biggest issue with all superhero movies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmad1977

Hero
Over the top is the very nature of comics. OVER-over the top leads to loss of suspension of disbelief and viewer fatigue (cf. the Transformers movies).

I see. I agree. I missed an over. Instead of over-over the top I thought the ending was as over the top as say Avengers to me. Which is to say I thought it was over the top but not quite over-over the top. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

There are two.

Marvel repeats the massed attack from the sky with endless weak foes dispatched by a group of plucky defenders. See Iron Man, Avengers, Iron Man 3, Guardians of the Galaxy, Age of Ultron.

DC does the single big foe with lots of lightning and glowy stuff and super-epic poses. See Batman vs. Superman's Doomsday, Wonder Woman's Ares.

Neither work. These movies need to find a different way to end films. Neither is good at third acts.

Last edited:

Ryujin

Legend
There are two.

Marvel repeats the massed attack from the sky with endless weak foes dispatched by a group of plucky defenders. See Iron Man, Avengers, Iron Man 3, Guardians of the Galaxy, Age of Ultron.

DC does the single big foe with lots of lightning and glowy stuff and super-epic poses. See Batman vs. Superman's Doomsday, Wonder Woman's Ares.

Neither work. These movies need to find a different way to end films. Neither is good at third acts.

I think that GotG1 did it pretty well despite using both the swarm of bees and BBEG with lightning memes. It's not the spice used, but knowing not to dump an entire bottle on a single dish.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
There are two.

I agree re Wonder Woman and BvS - indeed the only comment I made on the WW finale was gee at least they didn't bring back Dumdsday.

I also think that Marvels approach has a lot more story telling potential and this was most notable in Avengers where the Battle of New York was used to give each of the Avengers a character moment - Cap taking tactical command, Tony leading the Leviathan in so others could attack and then his 'sacrifice' to close the portal, the Hulk smashing the Leviathan (I'm always angry), then his team up with Thor and then his Puny god moment and then catching Tony, even Hawkeye got time to shine in that set up. Avengers uses its Boss battles to extends its characters not just as a flashy shock and awe finale.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
There are two.

I agree re Wonder Woman and BvS - indeed the only comment I made on the WW finale was gee at least they didn't bring back Dumdsday.

I also think that Marvels approach has a lot more story telling potential and this was most notable in Avengers where the Battle of New York was used to give each of the Avengers a character moment - Cap taking tactical command, Tony leading the Leviathan in so others could attack and then his 'sacrifice' to close the portal, the Hulk smashing the Leviathan (I'm always angry), then his team up with Thor and then his Puny god moment and then catching Tony, even Hawkeye got time to shine in that set up. Avengers uses its Boss battles to extends its characters not just as a flashy shock and awe finale.

The ending was weak. But that's common in superhero films.
The problem is the CGI takes so long to make that certain key fights are planned and work starts on them prior to filming (or often even scripting)
Like the Iron Man/ Thor/ Cap fight in Avengers 1. And likely the Hulkbuster fight in Avengers 2. The Ares fight her was very likely planned and scripted before the directed had even fully signed on board.

A good director will give you context and meaning for the fight. They'll make you care. Others... less so.
This fairly worked. It wasn't egregious. And it was thematically solid, which is more than I can say for most other superhero films...

Traditionally, Thermyscera is in the Bermuda Triangle, which is where it looks to be when it starts zooming in on the globe.
Obviously too far to sail to London in a few nights. Let alone fly a WWI plane there.
Although, it's only implied they have it in a single night. Because a long travel montage is needless.

Remove ads