Woohoo! More boardgames!

Dr. Screampunk

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
I thought that you already had Ticket to Ride Merric?

And when do you find time to play all these games? Between 4 D&D games and work, surely you must not have any free time!

Actually, I get the impression that Merric has nothing *but* free time.

:lol:

Vindicator

First Post
MerricB said:
I have Ticket to Ride: Europe; not the original. (Well, now I have both). Now I need Ticket to Ride: Maerklin Edition. ;)

I work part-time; Tuesday-Friday (morning only on Friday). Play D&D Friday afternoon & evening, and every 2nd Sunday afternoon. Play boardgames (for about 10 hrs) every 2nd Saturday, plus solo sessions at home (Arkham horror mostly), and occasional weeknight games at Randy's.

Uh, I'm assuming that at present there's no, err, girlfriend in your life?

I mean, I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, but, umm, there's more to life than, you know, playing games, dude.

Vindicator said:

I mean, I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, but, umm, there's more to life than, you know, playing games, dude.

Sometimes I wish that I had Merric's freedom of no significant other and no large financial responsibilites. With a wife, a new house and a baby on the way I don't think I'll be getting that for a long time!

On a slightly more serious note, as long as Merric is happy with his life and he's not hurting anyone else I don't see why it should matter to anyone else. I'm not trying to be snarky towards you Vindicator, I just think that not everyone wants the same thing out of life. As long as you are happy with the life you lead then that's all that matters in my opinion.

Olaf the Stout

Cowpie Zombie

First Post
Vindicator said:

you would never know that from seeing his blog.

but that's okay, he's at a young stage in life. he will grow up just like we all had to.

in the meantime, he should "gather his rosebuds while he may", as the poet said.

Johnnie Freedom!

First Post
Vindicator said:

Maybe I have a different take on the whole "Merric B has no life other than playing games" thing, but I suspect a lot of what he writes in his blog and posts here is intended to be taken with a grain of salt, perhaps even tongue-in-cheek self-conscious irony. That goes for a lot of these other guys who tell us things like, "I'm currently running three D&D 3.5 campaigns and playing in a fourth one. They all meet twice weekly". I usually suspec there's a ;) implied there, even if it isn't explicitly stated.

Just my $ 0.02.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Olaf the Stout said:
If you only work part-time then how the heck can you afford all these goodies in the first place?

There are two reasons:

Reason 1: Still live with my father. Thus, living costs are *way* down.
Reason 2: Still live with my father. Thus, living costs are *way* down.

I know that technically, this is only one reason, but it was such a big one, it was worth mentioning twice! :)

I'm not trying to pry so don't answer my question if it makes you uncomfortable. It's just that I know how expensive European board games and D&D books are in Australia. I also know that you don't buy them from online stores overseas so you are paying whatever price they're charging at your LGS (or Melbourne GS as the case may be).

My recent games I've been getting from Mind Games in Melbourne, which has very good prices - http://www.mindgamesmelbourne.com/T-ISTOCK.DAT

I try to get other people to pick them up for me - or occasionally order online.

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Vindicator said:

You're quite right, but, alas, there's never been a girl for me. Not that I haven't wished there had been (or will be) one...

It is almost assured that if I really like a girl, she will already be in a loving relationship. I say almost because I live in hope. :)

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Johnnie Freedom! said:
Maybe I have a different take on the whole "Merric B has no life other than playing games" thing, but I suspect a lot of what he writes in his blog and posts here is intended to be taken with a grain of salt, perhaps even tongue-in-cheek self-conscious irony. That goes for a lot of these other guys who tell us things like, "I'm currently running three D&D 3.5 campaigns and playing in a fourth one. They all meet twice weekly". I usually suspec there's a ;) implied there, even if it isn't explicitly stated.

Just my $ 0.02.

Heh. At present, I'm as happy as I've ever been - and given I've been through some pretty nasty depressive periods in my life, I've got something to compare it to.

One reason I'm happy is because I'm playing lots of boardgames and RPGs, and thus seeing my friends.

Take my plans for this upcoming weekend:
Friday afternoon 2.30-6pm: DM "Shackled City" for Sarah, Daniel, Dave, Adam & Rob.
Friday evening 7.30-11pm: DM "Savage Tide" for Rob, Martin, Peggy, Bradford, Rich & Craig.
Saturday morning: 10.45am-2pm: Watch "Pirates of the Caribbean 3"
Saturday afternoon/evening: 2.30pm-midnight: Play board games with my friend Randy.
Sunday afternoon/evening: 2.30pm-midnight: Play board games with Randy, Sarah, Rich, Meg, and Daniel (and possibly a few others).
Monday all day: sleep a lot. And read some books.

I freely admit there's something manic about the way I'm currently playing games. It hasn't been helped by getting back in touch with Randy (a lovely Canadian now living in Ballarat; he's married with 3 young daughters). Randy is pretty much as committed to board games as I am. So, we'd planned Sunday as one of our regular board game days, and suddenly he discovered he was free on Saturday as well. His first option? Call me and ask if I wanted to come over. My first reaction: Cool! No problem! :)

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
I've lusted after Twilight Imperium since I saw it at GenCon last year.

Heh. I've never quite lusted after it - I save that more for Eurogames - but the opportunity to get it at 20% off was too good to pass up.

(Hmm: Just worked out another way I save money - I don't drink or smoke. There's a lot of money saved just there).

I expect to play it this weekend, which will be interesting. One mistake I made was to get a lot of games that take 3+ hours to play. It'll take a few months until I have the opportunity to play them all!

Cheers!

Remove ads