Level Up (A5E) Working on a Kender

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I like it mechanically but doesn’t it run into the trope of monoculture? Does the Kender culture have an analogous Human culture? Maybe I’m over thinking it; I’m pretty drunk with the in-laws going quietly insane.

Maybe call it Communal Culture or something like Kibbutzim?

Edit: now that I think about it Kibbutzim seems like a slam dunk for where a Kender might typically hail from.
Halfling is the heritage. Kender is one of the many cultures a halfling might choose. I’ve taken the approach of Kender not being a heritage.

Larnievc

Hero
Halfling is the heritage. Kender is one of the many cultures a halfling might choose. I’ve taken the approach of Kender not being a heritage.
Ah, I totally did not get that. I assumed Kender was like Elf biologically speaking. Still, Kender culture (from my recollection of 2nd ed Dragonlance) and Kibbutz culture seem very similar.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ah, I totally did not get that. I assumed Kender was like Elf biologically speaking. Still, Kender culture (from my recollection of 2nd ed Dragonlance) and Kibbutz culture seem very similar.
In A5E a heritage is biological while a culture is learned. The two are combined to make what O5E calls a ‘race’.

Larnievc

Hero
In A5E a heritage is biological while a culture is learned. The two are combined to make what O5E calls a ‘race’.
Yeah, I get that. I was just thrown by using Kender as the culture, instead of the biology. Like I say, I really like the mechanics.

If there was anything I would add at my table I would give an ability that can be used in any communal area larger than a tavern where if a non magical item is needed the PC can state that they have it. Once per long rest or something like that.

That way they don’t steal from friends or anyone in particular and just happen to have picked it up.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Wanderlust: Through your journeys and conversations with 'strange' peoples you have learned bits of lore about the world. Proficiency bonus times per day you can make a History, Arcana, Nature and/or Religion check with which you are not proficient with advantage.

Faolyn

(she/her)
I do think the wanderlust should incorporate the curiosity aspect. Most things I think of are a little bland though.

Maybe something like difficut terrain doesn't slow you down? Kender just heedlessly throw themselves headlong forward, not worrying about the terrain.
Thought: Whenever the Narrator would roll on the Boons & Discovery table, the kender can make them an additional time.

Remove ads