• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Working on a Spreadsheet Character Generator

Nimmo

First Post
Update 07/05/2014:

DOWNLOAD THE LATEST VERSION HERE (Link hasn't changed, just pasting it up here for easy access)

Just completed another wee bit of the character sheet and whilst I have not yet completed adding all of the careers I have decided to come back to that later (as I expect that they will change anyway when the new playtest document comes out) and added the derived stats section and also managed to give the player a chance to choose an age-related trait. I am aware that the character sheet doesn't look particularly pretty at the moment but I will get to that when I have completed the rest of the basic functionality.

I am also going to share the list of things I want to do, but don't quite know how to do yet, if you have any ideas or suggestions on how to carry out these tasks then please do get in touch and let me know. Either by a reply to this thread, a PM or even an email directly to me.

ToDo:
Handle career abilities
Deal with bonuses to various attributes based on skills in careers
Add items granted by careers
Handle Weapons, Armour, Items and their various qualities

ToDo (but don't know how):
Enforce pre-requisites for careers
Enforce Skill limits based on tiers
Handle repeatable careers which have options/attributes that change when repeated (Such as taking Gambler twice)
Handle character progression with new ranks in skills, increases in attributes etc
Track XP spent and calculate costs of options for progression

That's probably enough for now.
Let's all hope that the last day of the kickstarter is a very profitable one!

</edit>

Update: 06/05/2014:

I figured that since this thread was having quite a few updates and there are a few links floating around that I would add a "DOWNLOAD LATEST VERSION HERE" link at the top, so here goes:
DOWNLOAD THE LATEST VERSION HERE
(This link will point at the latest version of the spreadsheet which will update minutes after I save it thanks to the wonders of cloud technology)

Also just to make things a little easier for everyone, I will make it clear here that this character generator is being made using Libreoffice (which should be 100% compatible with Open Office since they are both much the same package) and will likely not work with Excel. I moved over to Libreoffice from Excel as it seemed that more people had an interest in a tool being made for a free spreadsheet package than a potentially expensive and OS-dependent one.

If you look at the Documentation sheet, which is the first worksheet in the spreadsheet you should see that there are some simple instructions on how to use it and also a little list of what I've added on different dates.

As things stand it allows you to select your race, skills and careers totalling up attributes and such. I will be adding the derived stats once I have finished adding the careers to the careers table. (Which I might tweak further as I have just had an idea on how to make it easier for me to work with) then move onto handling skills and everything else after that. This evening or tomorrow I am going to write out a list of things I intend to do and know how to do, things I want to do, but haven't decided how I will do (including what I can't currently figure out) and post that up here as well.

</edit>

I had noticed that there was a character generator built in Excel that had been created and after getting bored today I decided to take a stab at making one myself.

Currently it is far from complete and only allows you to select your race and starter profession. My intention is to add as much automation as possible so that there is little to no manual typing in except choosing your name and that sort of thing.

View attachment Nimmog Generator.xlsx

Over the next couple of days I will try to add some formal documentation.
For now, go to the Background sheet, type in your character's name and then you can start using drop-down boxes to select your race and starter profession. If you choose a human there is a section to the right which says "Human Attribute Bonus" and you can use a dropdown box to select which attribute you wish to boost and it should all be reflected on the character sheet on the front.

Last edited:

Nimmo

First Post
Ah, this could be an issue with me using excel 2010. The drop down menus are done using input validation and where the options depend on the previous selection they also use the indirect and substitute functions.

Here is the link to the site I used to learn how to do the drop-down lists for Excel: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html

If enough people ask me to I will investigate and see if it is possible to do what I have been doing in Open/Libre Office or even on Google Docs and then share it there. Until then though I will continue to work on it for Excel, as if I do change format at least all of my data entry (which is the time consuming bit) will be preserved.

Also, here is a link to the up-to-date version of the generator (as I update it it will automatically be synced to this link): http://goo.gl/7HMtOr

Last edited:

Atom Mlatom

First Post
Yeah, actually, the drop down lists were making me wonder if I was doing something wrong (LibreOffice.) The one thing in Linux that Windows overshadows... stinkin MS Office. ha.

Nimmo

First Post
Yea, M$ Office does have that thing that keeps people on Windows. I will upload the document to my Google Drive account and see if the dropdown boxes work there too, still not ideal for everyone, but it will at the very least give everyone free access to the thing.

Will report back with some results after I get my last lesson of the day planned out.

Edit:
After brief investigation Google Docs as an option has been shelved for now as I can't get the Excel file to open in it, not tried with the Libre Office one yet though. Perhaps later.

Here's a link to the new Libre Office spreadsheet instead. It seems that some of the dropdown stuff copied over perfectly and I didn't even need to do anything with it, but some stuff didn't. Not taken the time to investigate what caused some to be preserved and others not to. I just re-implemented it all.

You can grab the .ODS version here: http://goo.gl/WAkWl1

Last edited:

Atom Mlatom

First Post
Got the ODS version to work in LibreOffice. Nice!

Also, surprisingly, got some limited functionality on my Android with Kingsoft Office and the xlsx version.

Nimmo

First Post
Glad to know the ods version is working for people. I have discovered that most of the lookups on the character sheet tab on the ods version was all messed up and I spent an hour or so clearing those issues up. I have now finished putting in careers up to the end of the investigation branch. I have a few issues that I know about and don't quite know how to solve yet. I will give a list of these issues when I get off my phone and back to a desktop in the hopes that someone will be able to suggest ways to fix it.

Edit : should comment as well that I have decided to abandon the excel version and only maintain/develop the ods one.

Remove ads