Working on Improving My Art and Doing a few Char Portraits

Ben Kamphaus

First Post
Uh, hi. I'm sure this is an interesting first post ; ) But I'm a gamer, and sort of an artist, and am looking for a nice way to get some criticism and work on my art skills. Anyways, my main medium is pencil sketching (yeah yeah, laugh at me), though I do some work in water color and ink when I'm happy with the concept. I thought I'd put some of my sketches of characters I (or my wife) have played, and see if anyone would be interested in me helping capture their character on paper.

Edits: Image Problems (Bad formatting on my part... Doh!)

Last edited:

Ben Kamphaus

First Post
From home computer

So, instead of linking...

Again, though I've lurked for a bit, I haven't posted here before, so sorry for the extra posts! *runs away*

Attachments

• gnomedog2.jpg
    gnomedog2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 277

Ben Kamphaus

First Post
My character Semyon

My character Semyon, working from the original concept. He started out as a Rogue 1 / Fighter 2 oriented around fighting from horseback. He was essentially loosely based on different historical concepts from the Ukraine and Russia's medieval Kiev Rus period and afterwards. His armor is modelled after an actual medieval Russian suit of Chainmail.

Attachments

• semyon.jpg
    semyon.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 253

Ben Kamphaus

First Post
Second picture of Semyon

This is the second, and final phase of Semyon's existence, though it's a picture I'm being forced to redo. : ) A couple of mechanical problems on my part - the main one being that I didn't leave enough room on the page for his sword or feet, kind of took away a bit of my motivation, and I didn't take the time to get the eyes right, like I did with the original Semyon. Hopefully I'll get the newer one finished : ) Characters I've played for a bit always tend to take me more time to get just right.

Attachments

• semyon3.jpg
    semyon3.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 228

Ben Kamphaus

First Post
Evelyn

This is my wife's character, Evelyn, who is a druidess married to Semyon (The ranger concept). The inspiration of her pose was one of Diterlizzi's Dragon Magazine covers. My wife picked out the dress and hair style for me and I added the butterfly to show the her character's gentle nature. She also griped me out over the hands until I got them right...

Attachments

• evelyn.jpg
    evelyn.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 218

Arravis

First Post
Don't fear drawing hands :). Though they can be tough to do, practice at it... spend time just drawing your own hands. It'll help quite a bit. Anyway, overall I like them and would love to see more :).

Malessa

First Post
Very nice! look forward to seeing more.....

Hands and feet are the worst! Helps me to look at real life photos in magazines, sports, girly, etc.....lol......its also easier if the person is holding something, like a weapon, it hides alot!

Ben Kamphaus

First Post
Hmmm....

Thanks for the pointers on the hands, though I think they turned out fine on the girl (Just realized the other pictures I posted were basically missing the hands or not showing them in detail! Haha)

I'm working on another to post up here, and like I said, if anyone has any requests I'd like to draw them. The big thing is I have little or no experience following the creative directions of anyone other than myself or my wife.

Thanks for the feedback.

Darraketh

First Post
Re: From home computer

Ben Kamphaus said:
So, instead of linking...

Again, though I've lurked for a bit, I haven't posted here before, so sorry for the extra posts! *runs away*

Oh this pic of the dog rider is really cool! Mind if I scarf him as a model for my gnomic mages?

Could you draw a few more, say standing around looking scholarly? Same dress, beard and nose if you will, please. One individual standing would be fine. Don't want to wear out my welcome.:)

Remove ads