D&D (2024) Worldbuilding Differences between 5e and 5.5?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I'm still confused at how they are "losing ki" as they have more points and do more things than they did before the name change
I mean changing Ki to Discipline forced WOTC to focus the monk into a stronger archetype due to the less overtly magical base.

The monk no longer turns invisible, astral project, speaks every language and doesn't age. They can't if go from the "mystical energy of ki" to the "extraordinary energy within themselves".

The monk pours their training into their body and mind to be a master warrior.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I am saying, the soul itself is natural thus nonmagical. But the soul can manifest innately magical effects. (Compare the conscious observer effect in quantum physics.)

Both the Monk and the Psion derive their magical effects from ones own soul. The mind (consciousness and expression) is an aspect of the soul that the Psion often uses to manifest magical effects. The bodily aura (ki) is an aspect of the soul that the Monk often uses to manifest magical effects.
Sure.

I was saying the base use of the soul that the monk uses is nonmagical. The soul is natural and the base monk's use of it is natural.

Subclasses may offer the monk magical options for soul.

Yaarel

He Mage
Sure.

I was saying the base use of the soul that the monk uses is nonmagical. The soul is natural and the base monk's use of it is natural.

Subclasses may offer the monk magical options for soul.
So you are saying the Monk class is "preternatural", like the special senses of certain animals?

So the Monk class is precisely the same thing as an Athlete?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
So you are saying the Monk class is "preternatural", like the special senses of certain animals?

So the Monk class is precisely the same thing as an Athlete?
Nope. I'm saying the Monk is "naturally supernatural".

They are not bound by the limit. Monks is the limit.

D&D has a different set of laws of physics and only Monks and Fighters can hit it naturally and without outside aid.

Yaarel

He Mage
Nope. I'm saying the Monk is "naturally supernatural".

They are not bound by the limit. Monks is the limit.

D&D has a different set of laws of physics and only Monks and Fighters can hit it naturally and without outside aid.
Semantics?

I am saying the "soul" − including lifeforce of the body, namely the bodily aura − is "naturally" (innately) "supernatural" (magical).

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Semantics?

I am saying the "soul" − including lifeforce of the body, namely the bodily aura − is "naturally" (innately) "supernatural" (magical).
I am saying that the monk is "supernatural" by our standards but not supernatural by D&D's standards.

Or in other words, the monk is like the fighter, the limit of our natural ability. Just another path. The base monk is as magical as the fighter or rogue. The subclasses make monks magical.

Yaarel

He Mage
I am saying that the monk is "supernatural" by our standards but not supernatural by D&D's standards.
"Supernatural", ... in other words, "magical".

Or in other words, the monk is like the fighter, the limit of our natural ability. Just another path. The base monk is as magical as the fighter or rogue. The subclasses make monks magical.
By reallife standards, the Fighter classes is doing magic.

D&D sometimes calls this magic the "martial source" of magic.

Subclasses can add or substitute an other source of magic, such as arcane, primal, divine, or psionic.

Arguably.

Martial, psionic, and primal, are sources of magic that derive from ones own personal soul. (For the primal source, animals, mountains, rivers, and trees, have kinds of souls.)

By contrast, arcane and divine derive from the multiversal weave.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
"Supernatural", ... in other words, "magical".

By reallife standards, the Fighter classes is doing magic.

D&D sometimes calls this magic the "martial source" of magic.

Subclasses can add or substitute an other source of magic, such as arcane, primal, divine, or psionic.

Arguably.

Martial, psionic, and primal, are sources of magic that derive from ones own personal soul. (For the primal source, animals, mountains, rivers, and trees, have kinds of souls.)

By contrast, arcane and divine derive from the multiversal weave.
Maybe I can say it in simpler terms.

In 2010, the Monk's power source was Psionic.
In 2014, the Monk's power source was Ki.
In 2024, the Monk's power source will be Martial.

Remove ads