D&D (2024) Worldbuilding Differences between 5e and 5.5?

Argyle King

Legend
How do the mechanical changes to the game (and how classes, monsters, spells, and etc) work change how the in-game world of a 5e game functions?

For example, does a larger list of "common" magic items mean a world in which magic items are more commonly assumed?

How do some of the changes influence the style of the game and the types of stories told through the game?

the Jester

Legend
For me:
How do the mechanical changes to the game (and how classes, monsters, spells, and etc) work change how the in-game world of a 5e game functions?
They generally don't. The differences are going to be few, and I'm pretty sure I'm not using one of the bigger ones- monsters losing the Magic Weapons trait in favor of doing other types of damage.

For example, does a larger list of "common" magic items mean a world in which magic items are more commonly assumed?
No, 'common' is relative to other magic items. That said, in my game, it is much easier to create a common magic item than an uncommon one. So there are more common items made in the world than uncommon ones, for example. But magic items are pretty rare in my game; there have been eras of widespread magic item production, but the current era isn't one of them.

How do some of the changes influence the style of the game and the types of stories told through the game?
Hard to say without a final version at hand.

Money/value of magic items (or mundane items for that matter) impacts my home game worldbuilding.

In my home game, 1cp is the general equivalent of $1 (USD); 1sp is $10; and 1gp is $100.

Therefore a 50gp healing potion or a common magic item is equivalent to $5,000, which is the value of a decent horse or a used car, and some medical bills (at some point in history).

That is out of everyday reach for many commonfolk, but it is something they can save for. A family may have a common magic item if it was inherited or if it was helpful. Like a Wand of Prestidigitation. Use it to clean your house, or stains from clothes. Would that be a common magic item?

I am very interested whether Wizards is going to give proper values to magic items for this reason.

Yaarel

He Mage
I suspect, a notable impact on worldbuilding is the end of the assumption of Evil Humanoids, such as Orcs.

Orc cultures will become more nuanced, with normal people with both heroes and villains among them.

Same goes for Drow Elf cultures.

Human cultures have always had this nuance and individualistic alignments, but now other Humanoids will also.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Wrt the common items, it's hard to guess
We have not heard any indication that PC: monster math will be significantly reworked. Beyond the monster math we've not seen any hind that 5e's death grip on dc5-30 will be expanded to provide additional room for such items to not break the bounded accuracy still seemingly in place.... Not have we seen even a bare hint that (dis)advantage being the only tool in the toolbox is recognized as a mistake in need of fixing.

With none of that changing l'm not sure how much room that the resulting system will provide towards allowing these common magic items to exist. Unless they are useless fluff like billowing cloaks and helmets that make the wearer's eyes glow they are almost certain to be just as overturning to PCs as not so common magic items already are. If they are useless fluff I'm not sure how it could impact world building beyond consuming a notable number of pages that could otherwise be better used to actually support the dungeon master in the dmg.

R_J_K75

Legend
I understand the question, but I'd say only as much as the DM/table allows or wants it to. I'd think that as long as the group agrees which changes to adopt and which ones to ignore then there shouldn't be a problem regarding character creation and game expectations. I would hope with the 2024 revision that if a group decided that they were going to use the new rules wholesale that there are guidelines how the rules affect world building, character, NPC, and monster creation/progression/impact and how they affect the world around them.

For instance, let's say that rings of invisibility are a common magical item. This would probably make theft more common in a large city where it's hard to catch the culprit. Whereas in a small country hamlet where only one person has one it may be easier to say, "hey why is it only things come up missing when Zanzibar the traveling salesman comes around"?

mellored

Legend
Not at all. I have played with characters from the playtest in the same game as character from the 2014. There is no issues. +5 to hit and 18 AC still means the same thing as it did before.

One of the goals they reiterated repeatedly, again and again, is that all the old adventures and modules would still work. (I.e. they want to keep selling Curse of Strad).

This is mostly a balance patch. Getting rid of hard to use mechanics, adjusting over or under powered spells, cleaning up confusing language, and adjusting some monsters to better fit their CR.

There has been no change.

Except that they will include some for unarmed attacks. So the monk can get +2 flaming fist or whatever, instead of being left out.

It will reduce the gap between power gaming and new players.

DM should have an easier time balancing encounters.

Martials can do more than just hit things. Not a lot more, but some.

aco175

Legend
I plan on buying the PHB and maybe some of the others if they are worth it. Then all PCs will be the new style and I can rid out making the monsters and items 'about good' until the second or third campaign when we have enough homebrew rules to have the other things not be a big deal.

Reynard

Legend
I suspect, a notable impact on worldbuilding is the end of the assumption of Evil Humanoids, such as Orcs.

Orc cultures will become more nuanced, with normal people with both heroes and villains among them.

Same goes for Drow Elf cultures.

Human cultures have always had this nuance and individualistic alignments, but now other Humanoids will also.
This isn't new. Eberron came out 20 years ago and the idea wasn't shockingly fresh then.

Remove ads