Worldbuilding - One of the joys of GM/DMing?

Aristotle

First Post
I'm a world builder. Have been for years. It's probably one of the more attractive elements of gaming for me. Even my modern games are set in alternate realities or near future eras where I can apply a little creativity.

Most of the complaints I see against world building seem to be complaints against any defined campaign setting, home brewed or published. Not really relevant to world building as campaign settings may just not be your bag, and that's cool. There are lots of different kinds of gamers here.

I'm currently building my 4e campaign, and have diverged from top-down methodologies to bottom-up. I made that decision precisely to leave enough of the world in the dark that I could easily work with players and let them play whatever they like. Yeah, it'll have to fit within the context of the larger setting (which really only means the general mood and technology level), but I'm pretty imaginative and flexible. So long as your not looking to force an oddity into my campaign, or rewrite history to the extreme benefit of your character, I can work with it.

I have not noticed a growing trend against world building. I actually think the points of light phenomenon (while not actually anything new) has increased the desire to take the pieces we are presented with and try to work them into our own 'great work' settings.

Treebore

First Post
Part of the problem with "world building" is this idea that you have to build a whole world to be a "World Builder". Greyhawk didn't. Forgotten Realms didn't. The Wilderlands didn't. Blackmoor didn't. They built regions or a continent or 3, not a whole world. A whole world is there, but these settings only care about what is "right here".

So world building is really just creating enough of a world in which to run the campaign you want to run. If your campaign ideas require a whole world, then you detail the whole world.

About two years ago my campaign finally became a whole world. I cheated a bit though. I took all my favorite settings, that weren't already fully detailed worlds themselves, such as Oathbound, and put them all on the same world. I finally did this because I was finally given a "needle" with which I could connect/sew all these settings together with.

So now I know what every bit of my world looks like.

This is not needed for "world building" though. Your world only needs to be big enough, or be able to become big enough, to run with whatever your players do.

So creating a hamlet/village/town/city in which to start your campaign and then add on from there is still world building, its just building at the smallest scale possible.

Anyways, if you want to get serious about world building I can suggest a nice "World Building Library" that has helped me with every aspect and question I have had to answer. Plus helped me do it in a consistent and cohesive whole.

The World Builder books from Troll Lord Games, such as "World Builder", "Nations Builder", "Cosmos Builder", "Canting Crew", etc... The other books I have found to be a huge help, especially for trade and economics issues, are "Magical Medievel Societies: Western Europe" and "Silk Road" from Expeditious Retreat Press.

Do you have to have these books? No. They are just invaluable in helping me pay attention to the details and creating and maintaining a cohesive whole, as well as working out as "realistic" a trade and economic system as I can for my world. So these books are far from a "have to have". For me, anyways. However I probably would have considered them "essential" 20 years ago, when I didn't have such a deep understanding of economics, business, religion, politics, laws, beliefs, history, science, etc...

Now the books are largely guide lines, that help me make sure to look at and consider as many variables as I want to consider, and to detail trade routes and wealth levels of whatever location(s) I decide I want to know that level of detail about, and to make all these decisions in a consistent and cohesive manner.

Most DM's don't worry about that. They get along just fine "winging it", and you will too. You just may reach a point, though, where you want to be as "realistic" as possible, and have your world work together as cohesively as possible. If you ever start desiring to do that, then get the books I have mentioned. Plus there are others that can help with writing up guilds, and other more specific aspects of your campaign. In fact ENWorld has published a series of PDF's that are very helpful.

Another thing I suggest about world building is to not hurry. Take your time. You have years (hopefully) to work everything out.

So yes, I love world building. I like a high degree of realism. It doesn't have to be "real world realism", just "it works realism". Plus it doesn't have to be a whole planet to be "world building". A world is as small or as big as you want it to be.

Snoweel

First Post

Every setting has it options and limitations. Thats just the way things are. FR, Krynn, Athas, Greyhawk, etc. all of them have a set of assumptions and it is these assumptions that define a setting. A setting is defined as much by what you subtract as by what you add. On Krynn there are no orcs so therefore if you want a half orc maybe I can work with you to create a half-hobgoblin character or some other half monster to fit the bill. If your heart was set on a helf-orc then I can't help you.

I'm well aware that settings are defined by their limitations (I was once an obsessive worldbuilder myself) and agree with your examples of published settings.

However my question was about your homebrew. And specifically, why you feel it is superior to detail your setting so much that you are left with the same limitations you would have if you used a published setting - ie. arbitrary restriction of player choices.

I don't play kitchen sink settings because they are all the same and IMO uninteresting.

How are they all the same? The could differ by history, geography, cosmology, current events, etc.

They will most certainly differ by the tales told about the exploits of your PCs once they get to work.

How does including the 'kitchen sink' make them all the same?

There are always reasonable workarounds for someone's character vision. However, if I am willing to create a half-hobgoblin race for your character concept, then you have to meet me and get the half-orc out of your plans...compromise is a 2-way street.

Fair enough.

Every setting has its own banes and boons...or they would all be bland copies of one another. If I am DMing in settings similar to Arthurian Britian, Africa, Arabia, etc. then you can choose amongst a cornicopia of available options. When I play, I fully expect that there are noticable differences between the various settings and I respect my DM's right to allow or disallow that which he decides is appropriate. I do more DMing than playing...but I respect the DMs right to choose what is appropriate for his campaign.

Sure, but where do the players get their say as to what kind of campaign they want to play in?

By starting in your overly detailed homebrew (or in most published settings) you limit the players straight off the bat before they even begin discussion of what they want out of the campaign.

If you start with less concrete detail you can accomodate the players first and then apply your arbitrary restrictions for flavour.

I am not a DM who believes that just because WoTC (or whoever) creates a splatbook I am obligated to add it to my campaign/setting. If it fits, its allowed, if it doesn't...it isn't.

This is just my point - if you didn't start with such a stockpile of unnecessary detail then you're less likely to have to tell the players that what's fun for them doesn't fit.

Devoted tourists? Arbitrary decisions? Well aren't we just jumping to conclusions?

My conclusion is drawn from the information you've provided - according to you your players seem devoted to touring your homebrew much like the fanboys of any published setting, and as the sole author of your setting how could your decisions be anything but arbitrary?

My arbitrary decisions are my decisions that as a DM I have every right to make.

We're not talking about your rights here, we're discussing functionality.

I don't play favorites and I don't make descisions arbitrarily despite your assumptions.

Every decision you made in the creation of your homebrew was by definition arbitrary.

Is a DM running a game in the Midnight setting, a setting without gods...except for Izrador...the Lord of Evil, being arbirary for not allowing a cleric of Pelor or any clerics in the party?

Once again you're missing the point - the decision to run Midnight in the first place is arbitrary. From there any decisions made in light of setting cohesion are contingent on the initial arbitrary decision to run Midnight.

Is a Greyhawk DM being cruel for not allowing a PC to be a cleric of Mystra when Mystra is an FR goddess and the DM isn't doing a world mixing campaign?

See my point above re: Midnight.

My PCs aren't tourists, they are heroes in a setting that happens to contain much more than just them. My players feel as though their PCs are part of a broader world with history and flavor.

I have played in (and DMed I'm sure) games where this was ostensibly the intent of the DM. I'm sure that if a DM was having enough fun unveiling his creation he might be able to convince himself that the players were equally as invested in the experience. Who knows.

They are the stars of the campaign which is a smaller subset of the entirety of the whole setting. Their heroics have real impact because it is my setting so I can have whole chains of cause and effect happening because I don't have to be beholden to a game company's authors to come up with canon.

No, instead you're beholden to what you've already written about your own setting.

I meant to say thematic elements such as those found in published settings like Athas, Midnight, Ravenloft, etc. Settings with peronality have thematic feels to them. Some of them are easier to spot than others, but they are there. Thematic elements are like the personality of the setting and set the atmosphere. Strong thematic elements are IME able to dictate the type of game to be had nearly wordlessly. IME only in those settings with weak thematic elements ie. vanilla RAW D&D in a "Known World" kind of thing, tend to create more DM player conflicts because of ambiguous expectations.

I know what theme means. Please try not to be so snarky.

My question to you was why does your homebrew need to ape published campaign settings by including rigid themes that dictate the types of campaigns that can and can't be run? It's your homebrew - why go to such effort filling it with the kind of unnecessary detail that ultimately limits your opportunities and those of your players?

And Snoweel, there is no need to be a wise arse, I didn't say it was my life's work I said it was a personally fulfilling creative outlet.

It's a creative outlet for me too. I'm just trying to illustrate how being 'married' to your setting unnecessarily restricts what you (and your players) can do with it.

If you can't tone down the snarky manner in which you respond to my posts, feel free not to respond.

Don't be so self-righteous princess.

If I am running a game in Conan's Hyboria there are already a set of strong assumptions (low magick, human PCs, lots of cruelty and violence, moral ambiguity, etc.). These assumptions free both the DM and the players to concentrate their energies on what does exist in the setting instead of having to wonder whether or not a Naruto or Drizz't rip off will fit...he wouldn't...question answered and now we are free to worry less about every other potential option that rolls down the track.

For the record, I think such narrow settings as Hyboria, Midnight and Dark Sun are all examples of settings that have atrocious replay value.

I've enjoyed playing in each of them but never want to again. Actually, I might give Dark Sun another crack but I want to feel like I'm able to affect the setting.

There is often freedom in knowing one's boundaries so long as those boundaries aren't destructive. Every setting, whether it is from gaming or literature has boundaries...its just the way things are.

I couldn't agree with you more. But having such emotional investment as you obviously do in your 'precious' (for want of a better term) limits your players' input into deciding those boundaries.

Snoweel

First Post
I'm a world builder. Have been for years. It's probably one of the more attractive elements of gaming for me. Even my modern games are set in alternate realities or near future eras where I can apply a little creativity.

Most of the complaints I see against world building seem to be complaints against any defined campaign setting, home brewed or published. Not really relevant to world building as campaign settings may just not be your bag, and that's cool. There are lots of different kinds of gamers here.

I'm currently building my 4e campaign, and have diverged from top-down methodologies to bottom-up. I made that decision precisely to leave enough of the world in the dark that I could easily work with players and let them play whatever they like. Yeah, it'll have to fit within the context of the larger setting (which really only means the general mood and technology level), but I'm pretty imaginative and flexible. So long as your not looking to force an oddity into my campaign, or rewrite history to the extreme benefit of your character, I can work with it.

I have not noticed a growing trend against world building. I actually think the points of light phenomenon (while not actually anything new) has increased the desire to take the pieces we are presented with and try to work them into our own 'great work' settings.

Spot on.

SavageRobby

First Post

I'm not a worldbuilder GM, for much the same reason I don't paint miniatures: I suck at, and while I could probably learn to get better, I have neither the time nor inclination for it. I envy those that really get into worldbuilding, though.

However, one thing I like to do - even using published settings, or more accurately, especially using published settings - is let my players help me shape the world with their character creation choices and desires. Almost always, when I get the "Is there a culture like _______?" question, the answer is yes - and if there wasn't before, by god, there is one now, and we go about modifying an existing culture in the game world, or adding a new one. With this kind of creative riffing between the players and I (and not just limited to high level cultures, but to people, governmental structures, events, prophecies, technology - you name it) we've created some really memorable places and character links, and those have given me all kinds of ways to springboard their character creation choices into nicely woven campaign elements.

I'm not a worldbuilder GM, for much the same reason I don't paint miniatures: I suck at, and while I could probably learn to get better, I have neither the time nor inclination for it. I envy those that really get into worldbuilding, though.

However, one thing I like to do - even using published settings, or more accurately, especially using published settings - is let my players help me shape the world with their character creation choices and desires. Almost always, when I get the "Is there a culture like _______?" question, the answer is yes - and if there wasn't before, by god, there is one now, and we go about modifying an existing culture in the game world, or adding a new one. With this kind of creative riffing between the players and I (and not just limited to high level cultures, but to people, governmental structures, events, prophecies, technology - you name it) we've created some really memorable places and character links, and those have given me all kinds of ways to springboard their character creation choices into nicely woven campaign elements.

One of the best things that happened in my Diamond Throne campaign was that one of the players decide he wanted to play a Giant "Commissar". Such a thing doesn't exist per RAW/setting book. His idea was having a character that worked in a more or less official capacity to investigate threats and crimes in the Diamond Throne. It was a perfect plot hook, and I used it several times in my campaign to motivate the players actions and to flesh out details.

If every player provides me with just one such hook, a hook that ties strongly into the game world, I am sure things could be awesome.

Maybe for my next homebrew, I will try to use such ideas more...

Psion

Adventurer
One of the best things that happened in my Diamond Throne campaign was that one of the players decide he wanted to play a Giant "Commissar". Such a thing doesn't exist per RAW/setting book. His idea was having a character that worked in a more or less official capacity to investigate threats and crimes in the Diamond Throne. It was a perfect plot hook, and I used it several times in my campaign to motivate the players actions and to flesh out details.

Cool.

I like threads when they talk about cool stuff instead of "your game sucks". :)

Cool.

I like threads when they talk about cool stuff instead of "your game sucks". :)

Me, too.

I think I'll have to create a Comissar of the Diamond Throne Paragon Path for 4E. (I think I still have a 3E/AE PrC lying around somewhere on my hard disk, but it got never used...* )

* Consider this a plug for my blog, because it _might_ get posted there. ;)

SweeneyTodd

First Post
I dig worldbuilding, but these days I mostly wait on developing the details until I've got players lined up and they have at least a general idea of what characters they want to play.

I figure time's short and unless a part of the setting is going to have an interesting interaction with something the players are interested in, I don't have time to flesh out a lot of the details. :)

I dig "Points of Light" because of this, because it kinda says "Hey, if you want to flesh out a culture, give a really solid example town and run with it... the other things far away can wait." That meshes well with how our games seem to go.

Wyrmshadows

Explorer
Snoweel, I'm not even going to quote the last response you gave me. It was filled with low level hostility. You are quite the charmer...from indignation at my explanation of a term I thought I could have clarified more, to projecting that chip you have on your shoulder onto my responses, to calling me "princess," for finding your endless pissiness annoying.

Personally I find your lack of tact and aggregious flouncing of the rules of civil discourse rather invigorating but we are not the only folks reading this thread. It is for them that I ask that you find a way to vent your bile outside this thread, thereby preventing it from becoming distracted from its main purpose.*

*...which is of course to allow me to expound my wisdom while at the same time subtly and thoroughly invalidating all opinions different from my own thereby demonstrating my native and complete superiority as a gamemaster...shhhhh...don't tell anyone.
:angel:

Wyrmshadows

Remove ads