Worlds of Design: “All About Me” RPGs (Part 1)

I’ve played and GMed FRPGs since 1975, yet I’m sure I’ll never see all the different styles of play that are possible. I describe an immersion-breaking but popular style, “All About Me”, that differs greatly from the cooperative semi-military style.

I’ve played and GMed FRPGs since 1975, yet I’m sure I’ll never see all the different styles of play that are possible. I describe an immersion-breaking but popular style, “All About Me”, that differs greatly from the cooperative semi-military style.

I’ve played and GMed FRPGs since 1975, yet I’m sure I’ll never see all the different styles of play that are possible. I’ve seen a fair bit of one style lately that I’d like to describe, because it’s so vastly different from the styles I’m accustomed to.

I’m accustomed to RPGs as a more or less military matter, where there’s a war on between good and evil, or at least where the group of adventurers (sometimes religious heroes, sometimes mercenaries) is a group of soldiers that are sometimes on a mission against the enemy, and sometimes on a mission to gather more loot, but always in a military like setting, where if you don’t cooperate with one another you’re going to die sooner or later. I have always used pieces for characters and a movement grid so that geospatial relationships can be illustrated, because group armed conflict is partly slaughter and partly maneuver.

What I’ve seen lately is high school or college aged folks playing what I’ve dubbed “All About Me” fantasy RPG. The emphasis is on the individual actions of the player characters, not on the actions of the group as a whole. Each player wants to do his own thing, run his own story, often showing off to the others. Typically in this situation there’s a lot of customization of characters to begin with. And sometimes the whole group is a bunch of characters somewhere between quite neurotic and psychotic.

Why is this important? Because many people cannot maintain immersion when things get silly. It becomes too obvious that you’re playing a (silly) game, not participating in an adventure. Some people don’t care. I do.

In these circumstances cooperation can be difficult. Typically the GM arranges the game so the players can survive and succeed without cooperating. In one of the recent groups I’ve watched the GM complimented the players because, despite the great diversity and psychological complications of the characters, they did cooperate. (Though I didn’t see much cooperation while I watched.)

What I observed was what you might expect from the situation, that is, several people blurting out what they wanted to do, talking over other people who were trying to say what they wanted to do. Now some people are used to this because that’s the way their families behave, but others are accustomed to people who take their turn speaking and maintain some modicum of politeness. The chaos is not too problematic when there are four players, but when there are eight players it becomes difficult. It’s up to the GM whether he or she does something about this, of course, and this particular GM (who has a stupendous voice and is slightly older than the players at age 23) has not tried to teach the players to behave in a less self-centered manner.

RPGs are about having cooperative adventures, not about one-upmanship, as far as I'm concerned. But Third Edition D&D enshrined one-man armies and showoff characters in the game.

I lay down the law pretty quick about behavior when I GM, but then again, I’m never going to GM this kind of game. To me it’s unreal and unrealistic behavior in a situation where there ought to be a real chance that somebody might die. This is not to say that I require a grim seriousness from players, but the “All About Me” style doesn’t fit with my semi-military notions of what’s going on.

The result in this particular case is a game with not much combat, so much so that there are no actual pieces or figures for the characters and no movement grid – it’s all done by talking. But even in games where figures and grids are used, the game can still mostly be “all about me” in what amounts to a relatively safe environment.

I wouldn’t be surprised if many of the players are accustomed to single player computer RPGs, where there’s no one else to cooperate with and no one else competing for attention.

As always, this is descriptive, not prescriptive. More next time in Part 2.

This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. You can follow Lew on his web site and his Udemy course landing page. We are always on the lookout for freelance columnists! If you have a pitch, please contact us!

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

thexar

Explorer
This isn't new at all. It isn't just teenagers, and certainly not all teenagers. It has frequently been the DM's wife, but not all, or always. The worst AAM players to take a place at my table were neither teenage, married, or female.

All I can say is, give everyone their fair time slice, and do not allow anyone to monopolize your time. Reward teamwork, and punish no one. You have a chance they'll catch on and turn into good players. If they bail, let them. If they explode, then it is imperative you give them the chance to have this discussion 1 on 1. If other players try to help, they will feel ganged up on, and this is not a good experience for anyone (especially if they expected a friend at the table to back them up).

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
The poke at 3rd edition seems to neglect the fact that, for characters with weird psychology and builds that make them one-person armies, White Wolf's World of Darkness games beat 3e D&D to the table by about a decade.

Yeah, when I read the original post I remembered many a World of Darkness type game back in the day. A skilled GM in that style can run a pretty good game, although some adjustments really need to be made to keep the PCs from flying apart too much in a way that the more "Plumbing the Depths of the Dungeon for Rightness and Loot" doesn't require. I played a good bit of D&D that way, too, especially using the original Lake Geneva style of ensemble cast small group of protagonists with henchmen.

I have to say this is good about this article - in describing a playstyle that is not his own, the OP doesn't talk like it is the word of God from on high like previous articles have;
We have "because it’s so vastly different from the styles I’m accustomed to ", "Some people don’t care. I do." " as far as I'm concerned" "doesn’t fit with my semi-military notions of what’s going on. " - so that is a good thing.

The Blame Game (tm) is well in force, as normal; noting 3rd edition (which as has been pointed was preceded by years by other systems doing the same thing), and of course, blaming video games.

The thing I see continually is the conflation of "RPG" with "D&D" - what is described as the OPs preferred style is a common style of D&D. Many many major games/genres do not play like this - White Wolf Games (as has been mentioned), CoC (where combat is to be avoided), most superhero games (to be true to genre death either is very rare, or easily recovered from). This limited focus seems to indicate a lack of knowledge of other games (which I honestly don't think is what is going on, given the length of the OP's exposure to RPGs) or the dismissal of them, in which case the term RPG should be stricken from his articles and say "earlier versions of D&D" to more accurately focus on what subset of games that is being referred to.

Getting past the biases and outright factual mistakes makes it difficult (for me) to discuss the substance of what may be in these articles.

Aaron L

Hero
I am sure the author of this post would despise the kinds of campaigns my friends and I prefer; our ideal games consist of about 50% combat, 50% roleplaying, and never use miniatures, battlemats, or physical icons of our characters. It is entirely theater of the mind. Our last game session, the beginning of a new campaign, lasted 6 hours, 5 1/2 of which was pure roleplaying and only 1 1/2 hours of which was combat. This is because when maps and miniatures are used games descend shift from roleplaying games into tactical wargames, with players planning out moves and actions for their characters from a perfect omniscient god's eye view, at a level far above what a person in the midst of actual combat would be able to do, and end up making decisions as if they were moving game pieces on a board (because that is what they are actually doing) rather than trying to portray a character, and they stop trying to think in terms of what that flawed, imperfect character would do in that situation in favor of coming up with the most tactically flawless maneuver they can perform.

Using miniatures on a map for combat adds yet another level of abstraction between you and your character, an undeniable physical representation right in front of you separating you even more from your character, and, however much you may believe you can avoid it, changes your mindset from one of roleplaying your character into one of playing a game of chess. Dimwitted barbarians and foolish thieves suddenly become tactical geniuses when the battlemat is laid out and the minis set up, giving a perfect overhead view of the action for all to see, the fog of war is completely dispelled, and every foolish or confused decision that would have been good roleplaying totally befitting the character instead becomes an inexcusable tactical blunder on the part of the player.

I suppose our style of gaming absolutely could be described as "it's all about me," albeit for every character, sequentially. Ideally, every character gets the spotlight at different times, and yes, we absolutely do love to show off to the other players and do cool things to get our "check this out, look at me!" moments; this is one of the most important elements of the game for us, and we all love it, as it creates great, memorable scenes that are talked about for years after. We play D&D as working to simulate the characters and events of a great pulp fantasy novel, with each of the characters as the protagonists of their own stories, all coming together to share in each others' stories. We don't try to hog the spotlight because we know everyone will get their chance to shine, we appreciate seeing each others' spotlight time and accompanying joy almost as much as our own, sometimes even more, and we each actively try to enhance the spotlight moments for the other characters/players, as the best improv actors do.

And I really can't imagine what at all is wrong with that style of play.

To do otherwise, to my mind, makes it really inexplicable why one would even bother playing Dungeons & Dragons at all rather than a tactical wargame. Instead of a roleplaying game, portraying a D&D party as simply a military unit in a series of military engagements turns the game into a wargame with a bit of roleplaying tacked on. It just baffles me.

machineelf

Explorer
One of the things you mentioned, about players talking over each other: I try to emphasize to my players that in combat, they only have time to utter a short sentence on their turn, not have drawn out strategy discussions. I also emphasize to them that having strategy discussions other than a short phrase a character can make while swinging a sword or casting a spell is a bit of meta-gaming, and it's a good practice to let other players make their own decisions about what they want to do without telling them it's a bad decision or suggesting another.

In terms of the loner, nuerotic player tendancies, I ask my players to think about why they are traveling with this group, and why they are untied? I encourage them to have their characters grow as friends and become a kind of family as they adventure together, because that would be the only reason they would stay together through all the hell they will find themselves in (sometimes literally).

Last edited by a moderator:

Celebrim

Legend
One of the biggest insights I've had to how games play I've had in the last 20 years is that the number of players matters.

AD&D was written with the idea of 8-12 (or more!) players, but more often played with 3 or 4. It ran fine with 3-4 but the author had assumed more and given advice and guidelines accordingly.

I find that almost every game I read lately is actually written for at most 3-4 players, and more often just 1-2.

I think the style the OP refers to as "all about me" is greatly encouraged by most modern RPGs, which privilege knowingly or unknowingly the aesthetic of self-expression (or what you might call 'exploration of character'). Unfortunately, these RPGs simply don't realize that the style that they are calling out only works for small numbers of players, and perhaps works best for a single player. It's a perfectly valid style to adopt with a small number of players - and maybe even the most interesting style to adopt in that situation - but it grows rapidly dysfunctional as the number of players increases.

nickostopheles

First Post
I’ve been RP gaming 30+ years and I find your categorizationfar too simplistic and inaccurate. Granted I’ve been doing mostly PBP the lastseveral years and only recently have tried some live events again so my observationsof “younger” players is limited. But still I do have some experience.

I think you are mixing up several categories, lumping all ofthem together and calling one – your way, and the other “All About Me.” I wouldargue there aren’t two categories but many.

Tactical vs. Story
Cooperative vs. Individualistic and/or selfish
Dangerous vs. Safe
…which is very related to…
Serious vs. Comedy

Secondly these aren’t either/ors, but actually spectrums.That creates even more variations in gameplay style, thinking of them as dials.And I’m sure there are more vs categories I didn’t think of.

Personally, I like to mix up those knobs. I don’t want to doone thing over and over. Sometimes I want to do a light comedy adventure,sometimes I want to Walking Dead it (nearly die all the time due to tacticalmistakes). Regardless I tend to be a very cooperative person and design cooperativecharacters, but I want the PC to do what s/he would do, not necessarilytactically optimal. If another player plays an interesting jerk, I’ll go alongwith it to some extent, but if s/he getshim/herself in trouble I met just let them die depending on what I think my PCwould think.

As for selfish players who do whatever they want, well I hadat least one in every campaign from 1987 to present. This is not remotely new.

The increase in story/character is due to overall trends intaste and popular things like the Critical Role podcast.

The increase in comedy/safety is due to things likeAcquisitions Inc on youtube and The Adventure Zone podcast.

That’s aside from general story oriented RPG games that havebeen happening for ages. As well as people trying to simulate the vibe ofmovies/books/tv shows/video games they like within the imagination engines ofRPGs.

You basically just seem to want to wargame, so when you joina group ask if that’s the tone of their game or if you’re running one,emphasize you run a very wargame-like D&D game. That should pretty muchsolve everything.

You don’t want to be special ops guy walking onto the set ofScooby Doo with swords.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads