Worlds of Design: A Time for Change

J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings and Silmarilion set a fashion for fictional civilizations lasting many millennia without much technological or social change. This worked for the literature, but rarely makes sense for games.

stone-age-2115390_1280.jpg

Photo courtesy of Pixabay.

It is all a matter of time scale. An event that would be unthinkable in a hundred years may be inevitable in a hundred million.” Carl Sagan​

One of the things Tolkien did with Middle Earth has encouraged an unbelievable view of history as something that very slowly changes over millennia. Perhaps one reason was that in Middle Earth there were people who remembered the First Age. They were alive then, a consequence of the practical immortality of the elves (and some half-elves). If your world doesn’t have the continuity of immortality then barely-changing history stretching thousands of years makes even less sense.

What I’m trying to do is point out why these fictional civilizations that last for millennia don’t make sense. Why is this important? One word, immersion. People who know much about history will probably see your worlds very long history-without-much-change as unbelievable, thus destroying the immersion in the world that’s so important to engaging play. Though those who don’t know much history may not find it distracting at all.

Often, the very long histories are a form of self-indulgence, the writer writes what he wants even though it is hardly necessary to the game.

The funny thing is, it’s not necessary to have thousands of years of history to do what you want; a few hundreds of years will be just fine. What was our world like 500 years ago? The end of the Middle Ages, the recent discovery of the New World, the beginning of the end for Mesoamerican civilizations, China drawing back into isolation, the Ottoman Empire growing into Europe as it was no longer opposed by the no-longer-extant Byzantines, Russia still a benighted land fighting the Tartars, India dominated by Muslims, and so forth. Armies still included pikemen and others not yet armed with gunpowder weapons. The first circumnavigation of the world was being accomplished.

And that’s only 500 years ago.

Now if we go back 5,000 years there were nascent civilizations only in Mesopotamia and Egypt (China and Harappa (India) came later), and technological change was slow (though faster than we may think today because the changes were so fundamental, such as the development of writing). Iron-working had not yet been developed, bronze was very expensive, and horses were much too small to pull chariots, let alone to ride. When iron-working was developed it took many centuries to spread throughout the Old World.

Furthermore, a civilization with iron or steel armor and weapons, with well-developed ships, is not going to sit in stasis unless someone is deliberately trying to suppress change, as we see in some fantasy and science fiction stories (see David Weber’s Safehold series).

There are lots of reasons why civilizations cannot remain static - which is the primary way you’re likely to have histories thousands of years long, civilization in stasis. There are resource limitations: if you use iron for many centuries you’re going to use up easily accessible sources, and have to develop new technology to be able to continue to obtain iron ore. That’s true for many other resources, even renewable ones such as timber. If you irrigate land long enough (as in Mesopotamia), it begins to deteriorate from salt deposits. You can’t continue doing things the old way because the resources change.

And the longer your civilization goes on, the more you must change.

If you’re writing a separate setting, one that is not part of a particular game, then circumstances are somewhat different. There are so many supplements available, whether world settings or adventures, that you can’t really expect many people to use them directly in games even if they read them. In other words, many people are reading them for the story more than for their utility in a game. That’s compounded perhaps by the people whose RPGs are primarily storytelling machines and not opposed games. (There’s no possibility of failure.) Those folks are naturally going to read settings and adventures more as story than as game.

In these cases, indulging your storytelling bent at the expense of game makes perfect sense. So those long histories, if they are relevant to the stories, are no longer self-indulgence.

Rome (kingdom, republic, and empire) had a history approaching 1,000 years - more if you include another thousand for the Byzantine Empire that succeeded Rome, and called itself Roman. China has a history more than 2,000 years long. There were empires in Mesopotamia more than 4,000 years ago - but they were lost to memory until archaeologists excavated ancient mounds that turned out to have been great cities, that used fired-clay tablets to record information. A 3,000 year history is a very long time.

Of course, if YOU want to write thousands of years of history for your campaign or your RPG rules, that's your choice. It may help you create your game. But do you want to inflict all that history on the gamer? I enjoy history (that’s what my Ph.D. is in), but very long histories for games are not my preference. Your mileage may vary.

This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. Lew was Contributing Editor to Dragon, White Dwarf, and Space Gamer magazines and contributed monsters to TSR's original Fiend Folio, including the Elemental Princes of Evil, denzelian, and poltergeist. You can follow Lew on his web site and his Udemy course landing page. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

aramis erak

Legend
I can understand the reasoning here, and agree with it in most circumstances but there is one key factor that's not mentioned: fossil fuels. Pretty much every technical advance from the late middle ages onwards came in some way from the mining and use of fossil fuels. Yes, you can invent the steam engine, but without an energy-dense power source such as coal you're not going to get much further - sure, you can use charcoal but the energy density is not the same and making charcoal is a labour & time intensive process. After that, you have no oil and so no gasoline, no natural gas, no internal combustion engine, no gas lighting/heating/engines.

You can apply this thought experiment best in a post-apocalypse setting, given that our modern world has already pretty much exhausted all easily available sources of fossil fuels and we now have to use high-tech industrial methods to eke the last few ounces out of the ground.

So, if you want to move a medieval-like society forward, figure out a way to do it without fossil fuels - it's not as easy as you think.

Everything I can find cites typical charcoal at around 30MJ/kg, and Coal at 16 to 36 MJ/kg, averaging 33 MJ/kg.

Biodiesel is variable, but typically mid 30's to lower 40's.
Petroleum is in the 40's and 50's, but biodiesel at upper 30's to lower 40's is comparable to bunker oil.

So, lack of petroleum won't be an issue until looking for the highest fuel efficiencies - it'll slow rockets and aircraft more than anything else.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Re: energy sources

One of those survival shows I watched years ago had a guy who heated his hot tub by placing it in the center of a parabolic mirror he fashioned out of snow. He was able to do so because he was kind of a black MacGyver.

Obviously, you’re not going to be able to make parabolic mirrors from snow your primary energy source, but it’s just one example of how smart people can work out innovative solutions.

Last edited by a moderator:

MGibster

Legend
A lot of RPG fantasy settings are post apocalyptic. Or at least posit a distant era where ancient now extinct civilizations created wondrous buildings and powerful magical items player characters adventure for. That could explain why things haven't changed a whole lot.

Hussar

Legend
A lot of RPG fantasy settings are post apocalyptic. Or at least posit a distant era where ancient now extinct civilizations created wondrous buildings and powerful magical items player characters adventure for. That could explain why things haven't changed a whole lot.

Kinda sorta. Even post apocalyptic settings do advance eventually. Sure Europe kinda wallowed for a while after the fall of Rome but it wasn’t millennia to recover, but centuries.

It’s actually pretty rare for stagnation to occur. Not impossible but rate.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I posited in another recent thread that any powerful nation with expansionist tendencies and a powerful navy would make learning spells like Magic Missile part of the basic training for “any sailor capable of learning” those spells- expanding the capacity of a ship’s crew to take down their opposite numbers with no fear of missing is too big of an advantage to ignore. I also noted that a similar requirement might be imposed by a government with a mindset similar to England’s when they passed laws making learning the longbow mandatory.

The 2e book DM's Option: High Level Campaigns had an interesting demographic breakdown based on standard stat generation method (3d6 at the time) and how many members of a given class would result in a given population. Of course, at the time classes had minimum stat requirements, which makes the numbers less applicable for WotC-era games, but it's still interesting.

Of course, that was pre-Eberron, pre-5e and pre-Magic Initiate feat. I actually wrote an article on the Kobold site about the impact Magic Initiate could have on armed forces:

https://koboldpress.com/cult-activity-order-of-the-jinx/

It's mostly a list of NPCs created using that logic and approach.

Aldarc

Legend
Kinda sorta. Even post apocalyptic settings do advance eventually. Sure Europe kinda wallowed for a while after the fall of Rome but it wasn’t millennia to recover, but centuries.

It’s actually pretty rare for stagnation to occur. Not impossible but rate.
Even then, a lot more innovation happened during this time than we commonly give credit, both outside of Europe (e.g., China, Eastern Roman Empire, Abbasid Caliphate, etc.) and inside of Europe.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
That's an interesting thought. What if magic only works because that universe's physics are "fuzzy", and so hard science, as we know it, doesn't exist. So even the art of chemistry/alchemy is a crap shoot, or at least difficult enough that only masters can produce something potent consistently, making gunpowder a very rare substance.

An alternative is that magic itself works according to laws, but possibly highly uncertain ones. Lyndon Hardy, who is a physicist, explored this in his fantasy novels, the first of which is Master of the Five Magics.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I don't think you can have this conversation without at least nodding the direction of lifespan. D&D is full of sentient races that live for hundreds or even thousands of years. And actual deities and other immensely powerful beings that are essentially immortal. That's going to have a huge impact of the development of technology. How it should affect technology is a complicated thing of course, and I'm not suggesting I have the answer there. Setting lifespan next to magic does start to index reasons why the development of technology might be non-standard though, with lots of those talking points mitigating for a slower progress there than the real world comparisons. That said, I don't think that a completely static culture makes any sense either.

I like Eberron as an example of a D&D setting that takes some of the things in this thread into account.

An alternative is that magic itself works according to laws, but possibly highly uncertain ones. Lyndon Hardy, who is a physicist, explored this in his fantasy novels, the first of which is Master of the Five Magics.

It could be. Notice that you can't just copy a spell from someone's spell book straight into yours. You have to "personalize" it. In 5E it costs you 2 hours and 50 GP per level of the spell to decipher / translate it and write it into your own book. I guess it could be "bad hand writing" on their part :D or it could simply be differences based on "you", not being the same as "them". The 5E PHB (page 114) talks about having to decipher the "unique notations" of the other mage. That could be one of the laws of magic, but that makes it pretty uncertain. There used to be a chance of failure in previous editions when you did this and no one volunteered their own spell books because they could be damaged iirc. And scrolls were erased in the process. Scrolls on the other hand when used "just work"... presumably because the scroll contains the personalized elements of the writer. Interesting. For me, this is what makes magic an "art" rather than a "science". As always ymmv.

Hussar

Legend
I don't think you can have this conversation without at least nodding the direction of lifespan. D&D is full of sentient races that live for hundreds or even thousands of years. And actual deities and other immensely powerful beings that are essentially immortal. That's going to have a huge impact of the development of technology. How it should affect technology is a complicated thing of course, and I'm not suggesting I have the answer there. Setting lifespan next to magic does start to index reasons why the development of technology might be non-standard though, with lots of those talking points mitigating for a slower progress there than the real world comparisons. That said, I don't think that a completely static culture makes any sense either.

I like Eberron as an example of a D&D setting that takes some of the things in this thread into account.

Realistically, as far as I'm concerned, those "long lived" races should be extinct pretty quickly. Not so bad in 5e D&D where elves only live a couple of centuries, but, back in AD&D, when elves lived for a thousand years or more and generally only had one or two children, simple attrition would have wiped them out.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases