Worlds of Design: A Time for Change

J.R.R. Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings and Silmarilion set a fashion for fictional civilizations lasting many millennia without much technological or social change. This worked for the literature, but rarely makes sense for games.

stone-age-2115390_1280.jpg

Photo courtesy of Pixabay.

It is all a matter of time scale. An event that would be unthinkable in a hundred years may be inevitable in a hundred million.” Carl Sagan​

One of the things Tolkien did with Middle Earth has encouraged an unbelievable view of history as something that very slowly changes over millennia. Perhaps one reason was that in Middle Earth there were people who remembered the First Age. They were alive then, a consequence of the practical immortality of the elves (and some half-elves). If your world doesn’t have the continuity of immortality then barely-changing history stretching thousands of years makes even less sense.

What I’m trying to do is point out why these fictional civilizations that last for millennia don’t make sense. Why is this important? One word, immersion. People who know much about history will probably see your worlds very long history-without-much-change as unbelievable, thus destroying the immersion in the world that’s so important to engaging play. Though those who don’t know much history may not find it distracting at all.

Often, the very long histories are a form of self-indulgence, the writer writes what he wants even though it is hardly necessary to the game.

The funny thing is, it’s not necessary to have thousands of years of history to do what you want; a few hundreds of years will be just fine. What was our world like 500 years ago? The end of the Middle Ages, the recent discovery of the New World, the beginning of the end for Mesoamerican civilizations, China drawing back into isolation, the Ottoman Empire growing into Europe as it was no longer opposed by the no-longer-extant Byzantines, Russia still a benighted land fighting the Tartars, India dominated by Muslims, and so forth. Armies still included pikemen and others not yet armed with gunpowder weapons. The first circumnavigation of the world was being accomplished.

And that’s only 500 years ago.

Now if we go back 5,000 years there were nascent civilizations only in Mesopotamia and Egypt (China and Harappa (India) came later), and technological change was slow (though faster than we may think today because the changes were so fundamental, such as the development of writing). Iron-working had not yet been developed, bronze was very expensive, and horses were much too small to pull chariots, let alone to ride. When iron-working was developed it took many centuries to spread throughout the Old World.

Furthermore, a civilization with iron or steel armor and weapons, with well-developed ships, is not going to sit in stasis unless someone is deliberately trying to suppress change, as we see in some fantasy and science fiction stories (see David Weber’s Safehold series).

There are lots of reasons why civilizations cannot remain static - which is the primary way you’re likely to have histories thousands of years long, civilization in stasis. There are resource limitations: if you use iron for many centuries you’re going to use up easily accessible sources, and have to develop new technology to be able to continue to obtain iron ore. That’s true for many other resources, even renewable ones such as timber. If you irrigate land long enough (as in Mesopotamia), it begins to deteriorate from salt deposits. You can’t continue doing things the old way because the resources change.

And the longer your civilization goes on, the more you must change.

If you’re writing a separate setting, one that is not part of a particular game, then circumstances are somewhat different. There are so many supplements available, whether world settings or adventures, that you can’t really expect many people to use them directly in games even if they read them. In other words, many people are reading them for the story more than for their utility in a game. That’s compounded perhaps by the people whose RPGs are primarily storytelling machines and not opposed games. (There’s no possibility of failure.) Those folks are naturally going to read settings and adventures more as story than as game.

In these cases, indulging your storytelling bent at the expense of game makes perfect sense. So those long histories, if they are relevant to the stories, are no longer self-indulgence.

Rome (kingdom, republic, and empire) had a history approaching 1,000 years - more if you include another thousand for the Byzantine Empire that succeeded Rome, and called itself Roman. China has a history more than 2,000 years long. There were empires in Mesopotamia more than 4,000 years ago - but they were lost to memory until archaeologists excavated ancient mounds that turned out to have been great cities, that used fired-clay tablets to record information. A 3,000 year history is a very long time.

Of course, if YOU want to write thousands of years of history for your campaign or your RPG rules, that's your choice. It may help you create your game. But do you want to inflict all that history on the gamer? I enjoy history (that’s what my Ph.D. is in), but very long histories for games are not my preference. Your mileage may vary.

This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. Lew was Contributing Editor to Dragon, White Dwarf, and Space Gamer magazines and contributed monsters to TSR's original Fiend Folio, including the Elemental Princes of Evil, denzelian, and poltergeist. You can follow Lew on his web site and his Udemy course landing page. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Really, it's like D&D settings that are created that never take the Monster Manual into account. It bugs me to be honest that most settings ignore the enormous potential of various monsters. Take the lowly Fire Beetle. A three foot long beetle that generates perfectly safe light? Never mind the eating potential there, you've just lit every city in the world for free. Who wouldn't breed these things to be safe? Garbage disposal, free light and food for the taking.

Because it turns out that not all species can be domesticated despite thousands of years of trying?

I suppose selective breeding might yield some with reduced dangerous qualities and enhanced benefits like larger glands or whatever it is that glow. On the other hand, it's also possible that those traits are linked in such a way that make that impossible. In any event, there's no reason to assume they must be domesticable or bred for specific qualities simply because of time. That's more of an artistic choice for the setting.

drl2

Explorer
Interestingly some of Tolkien's early writings that formed the basis for the history of Middle-Earth did involve more modernized technology - the original story of the fall of Gondolin talked of the city being overrun not by dragons but by fire-spewing machines.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Because it turns out that not all species can be domesticated despite thousands of years of trying?

I suppose selective breeding might yield some with reduced dangerous qualities and enhanced benefits like larger glands or whatever it is that glow. On the other hand, it's also possible that those traits are linked in such a way that make that impossible.

A good one might be that fire beetles glow because of something they eat in dungeons, but that itself doesn't grow where dungeon air ain't foul enough. It might be cool to play with the idea of alchemists trying to breed them, though.

In any event, there's no reason to assume they must be domesticable or bred for specific qualities simply because of time. That's more of an artistic choice for the setting.

Certainly. They were trying to mimic the kind of craziness that existed in Marco Polo or other travelogues that were filled with lots of BS.

Jay Verkuilen

Interestingly some of Tolkien's early writings that formed the basis for the history of Middle-Earth did involve more modernized technology - the original story of the fall of Gondolin talked of the city being overrun not by dragons but by fire-spewing machines.

Tolkien was very strongly influenced by the pollution of the countryside that came along with industrialization and also by the devastation of the landscape he saw during the Battle of the Somme, so that makes a lot of sense.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
The issue here is less about their life-expectancy but, rather, their birth and fertility rate. I'm not sure why we are treating elves as if they were pandas. I don't really see an issue with saying, "elves live long lives and have lots of kids." If people are worried about elves over-running the place, then one can introduce the idea of "the Longing," where elves who reach a certain age are drawn to live in the fey courts of the Feywild. We never see elves over a certain age because the rest join the "Hidden Kingdoms" of the fey. Explanation made.

I'm fairly certain 5E has something I either Volo's or Mordenkenian's about that.

Aldarc

Legend
I'm fairly certain 5E has something I either Volo's or Mordenkenian's about that.
Neat. I'll take a look at that later. I did not really read the standard playable race sections that closely.

Maybe, but (1) humans have a long history of domesicating things that almost seem unintuitive to domesticate, and (2) there is tremendous history in D&D of monsters of domesicating other monsters.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
A lot of RPG fantasy settings are post apocalyptic. Or at least posit a distant era where ancient now extinct civilizations created wondrous buildings and powerful magical items player characters adventure for. That could explain why things haven't changed a whole lot.

Including Middle Earth. We know that the Noldor settled in Middle Earth to fight Morgoth, built realms and a substantial civilization that was nearly wiped out by Morgoth's resurgence. We know very little of the average fertility of the elves at that point - except that we know some of the great patriarchs of Noldor civilization were having 6-7 or so kids. It's a bit harder to assume much of anything else when we have so few data points like Elrond and Celebrían's 3 kids.

Jay Verkuilen

Maybe, but (1) humans have a long history of domesicating things that almost seem unintuitive to domesticate, and (2) there is tremendous history in D&D of monsters of domesicating other monsters.
From what I understand, there really aren't that many species we've domesticated, but lots more can be tamed. Elephants, for instance, are tamed, but not domesticated. Ditto most apex predators like bears, lions, etc. There are numerous examples of plants that seem like they should be domesticable but aren't. Huckleberries aren't but strawberries are, which is why the latter cost an order of magnitude less than the former.

My feeling is that if it's fairly replicable and in widespread distribution among peasants then it's a good call for domestication but if it takes a special "beastmaster" or enchanter, you're talking about taming. (Of course, it's fantasy, so who knows?)

Last edited by a moderator:

drl2

Explorer
Tolkien was very strongly influenced by the pollution of the countryside that came along with industrialization and also by the devastation of the landscape he saw during the Battle of the Somme, so that makes a lot of sense.

Yep, and if I remember correctly, that particular story was begun while he was hospitalized recovering from trench fever - possibly having seen or heard about the first use of tanks in warfare.

The Ents were allegedly a response to technology as well; supposedly the idea for them sprang up as he watched a bulldozer clearing trees and one of his children said something like "I wish the trees could fight back".

Aldarc

Legend
From what I understand, there really aren't that many species we've domesticated, but lots more can be tamed. Elephants, for instance, are tamed, but not domesticated. Ditto most apex predators like bears, lions, etc. There are numerous examples of plants that seem like they should be domesticable but aren't. Huckleberries aren't but strawberries are, which is why the latter cost an order of magnitude less than the former.

My feeling is that if it's fairly replicable and in widespread distribution among peasants then it's a good call for domestication but if it takes a special "beastmaster" or enchanter, you're talking about taming. (Of course, it's fantasy, so who knows?)
And then you have House Vadalis of Eberron. ;)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases