Worlds of Design: Citing Your Sources

In the early 1980s I wrote a column in Dragon Magazine called “The Role of Books.” I described nonfiction books so that Dragon readers could decide whether to read them as a source of ideas. But people have changed how they their ideas and inspiration.

In the early 1980s I wrote a column in Dragon Magazine called “The Role of Books.” I described nonfiction books so that Dragon readers could decide whether to read them as a source of ideas. But people have changed how they their ideas and inspiration.

Keep in mind this was only a decade after the invention of fantasy role-playing games. The expectation was that players and GMs would come up with their own ideas for the characters in their campaigns, perhaps derived from books and film rather than from game specific publications. There were certainly game specific publications around, but most of them cost money and the distribution system still followed the distribution of the games: in game shops or direct. Of course, there was The Lord of the Rings as well.

So I found nonfiction books, like a book about medieval life that you might find in a library, and described it for the readers so that they could decide whether it was worth reading. When Dragon changed its submissions to require purchase of all rights, I stopped writing anything for it, and that was the end of my contributions to that column.

I would not write such a column nowadays because of changes in how people get their ideas and inspiration:

• There are a lot more fantasy films and novels than there used to be
  • There are vastly more game specific supplements
  • There is an immense amount of free material available via the Internet
  • Most people don’t try to make up their own adventures, that expectation is gone
Addressing these points in order...

There are a lot more fantasy films and novels than there used to be
, both from increased popularity and from more than 35 years of additional releases. Improvements in computer graphics have a lot to do with it as well. For GMs, it’s fairly easy to adapt incidents or entire plots from a film or novel to an RPG. Yes, some of that went on with The Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit 40 years ago, too much some people would say, but with the advent of the LOTR films there are surely more people since 2001 who have seen the films than have read the books.

There are vastly more game specific supplements: some adventures, some settings, some descriptions of particular elements of fantasy (such as castles, or Vikings, or pirates). This is a result both of the ease of production with modern computers, but also the accumulation of 35 to 40 years. Many fantasy supplements don’t wear out; for example, even a supplement for first edition D&D can be applied without too much trouble to fifth edition.

There is an immense amount of free material available on the Internet. The Internet includes sites that will generate new characters, new dungeons, new cities, even character names and backgrounds, such as donjon.bin.sh (well worth a look). Many of the “old-time” supplements are now free, or “free.” I remember talking about music to one college student who said, “why would I bother to buy any, it’s all on YouTube?” We don’t quite have a YouTube equivalent for RPGs, but the material is certainly out there. For example: all the issues of Dungeon magazine.

Another reason for the change is that most people don’t make their own adventures as much anymore. They use existing ones whether free or at a cost. But even the cost is relatively low because of PDF distribution online (quite apart from piracy). This tendency to rely on the publisher helps keep them in business despite the wealth of free material available. In my experience, most RPG players don’t expect their GMs to make up their own adventures. I expect ENWorld readers are much more likely to make up their own stuff; but here we have an atypical group of RPGers!

Of course, the kind of nonfiction I wrote about in my old column may be more popular nowadays, and is more common because we have 35+ years of additional work to choose from. But why read something not closely related to games when you can read something made for games?

This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. Lew was Contributing Editor to Dragon, White Dwarf, and Space Gamer magazines and contributed monsters to TSR's original Fiend Folio, including the Elemental Princes of Evil, denzelian, and poltergeist. You can follow Lew on his web site and his Udemy course landing page. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Derren

Hero
Most fantasy products copy from history. So I decided to cut out the middleman and also take my inspirations directly from history.

Last edited by a moderator:

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
"Reality is stranger than fiction."

I use all sorts of everything in making adventures. The last adventure, I used a player's backstory of a warrior monk that was interested in Marcus Aurelius, so created an order of future Hospitallers, in a Roerich painting style setting, and mixing Bilal's The Hunting Party with the assassination of Pompey. I do also use pre-made material, when I can hide the origin, the main issue being that players might have read it before.

On published material vs. home grown...

The hardback 5E adventures seem to sell pretty well. Most of those sold are probably being played at some point. I started playing in 1974 (I'm a dinosaur, I know) and I always did (and do) my own setting / adventure material. I own pretty much no modules / adventures from back in the day (with a few exceptions). I did buy (and still do) buy setting material from which I crib ideas for my own setting. I own most of the new 5E hardbacks. I'll never run the adventures, but I read them, look for ideas, and make them available to the kids in the game club I advise at school (I keep an extra set of the core books at school as well). My students seem more comfortable running published adventures. One of them has ventured to run his own as well as using published material. This isn't statistically relevant, but anecdotally it seems to back up Lew Pulsipher. These are new players. Judging by the popularity of D&D right now there are a lot of new players (and DMs) out there...

Other things...

I remember the Role of Books articles fondly. I have always used "outside materials" (I have degrees in history and cultural anthropology) as well as reading pretty much every fantasy and science fiction book available back in the day. Not so much anymore btw -- I'm short on time and, to be blunt, there is a lot of mediocre material seeing publication today. I suspect that was true "back in the day" as well, but I wasn't as discriminating then as I am now :)

Another discussion that probably can't be settled without information we don't have access to. The upside of that: everybody can say "I'm right". With a straight face :)

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I'm one of those weird people who likes to make up my own adventures though I'm not too proud to use a published adventure.

At least according to a lot of what WotC has said, a lot more people run their own and/or customize published materials, certainly than WotC would like for their own sales figures.

I'll steal stuff from published material but rarely run things as written.

You're absolutely right that we've all got greater access to game supplements and fantasy media than we did back in the 1980s. I can hit up Youtube and watch other people gaming whereas back in 1987 the only way to learn how to play was to just do it.

I do think there's still value in looking at non gaming sources for gaming material. We can still find interesting ideas looking at modern fiction as well as historical stuff.

Yeah, there can be some really great inspiration in non-gaming material, especially in historical stuff. NPCs, plot lines, ways of making the world feel "real", and so on. One source now that was not available back in Ye Goode Olden Tymes is YouTube. There are TONS of great history videos one can watch. Also there are a number of videos that are aimed at people writing stories which help go through how to devise an effective plot, characterization, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Verkuilen

I do agree with an earlier post that material outside pop-culture is more likely to be "unknown" to players.

I got busted by this. Way back when I stole the name "House Targaryen" from the very first Game of Thrones book for the ruling house of a country who were Weredragons. I found GoT really tedious and didn't bother reading further in the series. At the time my players hadn't read any of the novels and the show wasn't even a glimmer in anyone's eye. Unfortunately, that's just not something I can actually use in my campaign now. :/

I

Immortal Sun

I got busted by this. Way back when I stole the name "House Targaryen" from the very first Game of Thrones book for the ruling house of a country who were Weredragons. I found GoT really tedious and didn't bother reading further in the series. At the time my players hadn't read any of the novels and the show wasn't even a glimmer in anyone's eye. Unfortunately, that's just not something I can actually use in my campaign now. :/

Yeah, I try real hard to avoid using exact names from any material really. I might copy a character whole cloth from something and make some minor changes (different hair, different skin tone, etc...), but I'll always give them their own name.

In part because if people put 2+2 together they start having expectations about how the character should behave based on the source material. In other part because my luck has always been there's that one guy who knows these names.

I mean, I literally wrote Thanos into my last campaign but called him "Ja'Gor" and nobody even noticed.

Jay Verkuilen

Yeah, I try real hard to avoid using exact names from any material really. I might copy a character whole cloth from something and make some minor changes (different hair, different skin tone, etc...), but I'll always give them their own name.

Yeah usually I'd change things but for some reason I hadn't, or at least not much. My House Tregaryan really bore no resemblance to the one from GoT except for the draconic blood and the name.

In part because if people put 2+2 together they start having expectations about how the character should behave based on the source material. In other part because my luck has always been there's that one guy who knows these names.

Yeah I'm a lot more careful and my players were cool about it, though to be fair at the time there was no sign GoT would even take off as a fantasy novel series, much less become a worldwide phenomenon, but it is unnecessarily jarring.

I mean, I literally wrote Thanos into my last campaign but called him "Ja'Gor" and nobody even noticed.

I have a hard time taking a villain named "Thanos" seriously. It's a really common Greek man's name!

Michele

Villager
- Role-playing is not just about fantasy. One can have a historical setting, or maybe historical-with-a-peculiar-twist. And historical isn't just medieval, either. So the over-abundance of fantasy fiction isn't all that relevant if I'm preparing a Cliffhangers scenario set in the 1930s. Not if it is historically accurate, and not if the occult or alternate-history aspects aren't elves and wizards.

- Even assuming we stay in the fantasy genre, we might want something more resembling our Earth's middle ages, with wizards thrown in. "Gritty", "realistic" fantasy, I believe, sometimes is better served by knowing how actually likely it would be to find a physician in a small market town in Northern France in the 1200s, than by relying on D&D assumptions. Of course, that may not be true if go for "high" fantasy.

- Exactly because players may have seen movies and TV series, they may well find something new at my table if I go to the actual sources, instead. If I know they prefer something new, then that's a good choice. There is the possibility they want a canonical Game of Thrones game, of course; in that case, they'll let me know well in advance and we'll use canonical fictional sources.

- Free material is often worth what it costs.

Jay Verkuilen

- Role-playing is not just about fantasy. One can have a historical setting, or maybe historical-with-a-peculiar-twist. And historical isn't just medieval, either. So the over-abundance of fantasy fiction isn't all that relevant if I'm preparing a Cliffhangers scenario set in the 1930s. Not if it is historically accurate, and not if the occult or alternate-history aspects aren't elves and wizards.

- Even assuming we stay in the fantasy genre, we might want something more resembling our Earth's middle ages, with wizards thrown in. "Gritty", "realistic" fantasy, I believe, sometimes is better served by knowing how actually likely it would be to find a physician in a small market town in Northern France in the 1200s, than by relying on D&D assumptions. Of course, that may not be true if go for "high" fantasy.

I've gotten more interested in some alternate settings than just pseudo-Medieval Western Europe. For instance, I'm pondering a campaign world (tentatively named Norrebe, which is "Eberron" backwards) that's modeled on early Modern to 19th Century Europe. However, the big twist is that humans are incredibly rare, having been largely wiped out by Plague several hundred years before, and thus the main nations would be demi-humans and/or civilized humanoids. The pseudo-France and pseudo-Germany would be halflings, pseudo-Italians dwarves, pseudo-Japanese dragonborn, etc. Part of this was to totally f--k with the stereotypes that have grown up around these races, such as "all dwarves are either alcoholic Norse or Highlanders". A variant on this would be more human-centric but oriented around the early Modern period during the constant warfare in Eastern Europe that went back and forth after the Fall of Constantinople through to the Siege of Vienna.

So, doing some reading or YouTube videoing on the eras is very helpful.

- Free material is often worth what it costs.

Heh, true dat.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads