Worlds of Design: Creativity and the Game Designer

What part does creativity play in game design? Novice game designers often have a confused idea that game design is all about creativity, which is very far from the truth. Creativity is important, but a small component of game design. Most of the work involved in designing the game is fairly straightforward thinking and problem solving. This is not to say that it's easy, but it does not...

What part does creativity play in game design? Novice game designers often have a confused idea that game design is all about creativity, which is very far from the truth. Creativity is important, but a small component of game design. Most of the work involved in designing the game is fairly straightforward thinking and problem solving. This is not to say that it's easy, but it does not involve a great deal of creativity.

creativedesignpart1.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.
"The key question isn't "What fosters creativity?" But it is why in God's name isn't everyone creative? Where was the human potential lost? How was it crippled? I think therefore a good question might be not why do people create? But why do people not create or innovate? We have got to abandon that sense of amazement in the face of creativity, as if it were a miracle if anybody created anything."--Abraham Maslow
The Misunderstood Creative
The general point I want to make here is that you don't need to be a terrifically creative person to design a good game. Creativity can be misunderstood. In game design it is mostly not about getting ideas, is not brain fever, is not wild imagination. Anybody can come up with nutty off-the-wall stuff. For me, creativity is about finding unusual ways to solve problems, not necessarily unique, not necessarily flashy.

Too many people think creativity is all there is to game design, and it has to be said, the sexy part of game design is the conception and elaboration of an idea that may turn into an enjoyable game. The rest of it is not sexy. It takes a long time to test and modify a game, and it often gets to be un-fun toward the end of that time. I think a lot of so-called game designers want the equivalent of a convenient relationship with the most fun parts without the work that makes relationships last. You can try and do this in games, but what you'll end up with is a lot of half-done, and usually half-baked, games that will not be published unless you publish it yourself.

It's also not unusual for people who call themselves designers to complain that constraints limit their creativity. That's actually the opposite of the truth, in art generally as well as in game design. Constraints promote creativity because you work harder to find solutions to your problems--and you have specific problems.

It's really hard to decide what to do when there are no constraints. You need to consider the constraints and that will help you make a better game. You always have a target audience, for example, whether you know it or not. You may not think of it in your head, but it's there. Constraints breed creativity.

Creativity vs. Execution
While you can be creative in lots of different ways, if you don't execute the overall game, if you don't have a willingness to stick with it until the end when you're bloody sick of it, then you will not come up with a good game. Maybe somebody else (called a game developer) will do that work, and the game will be great in the end, but it will be your work plus somebody else's. The whole process is more an engineering problem than a creativity problem.

Adams and Rollings in Game Design Fundamentals suggest that creativity or innovation by the game designer amounts to 5% of a game. My formulation is a modified form of something Thomas Edison said, and that is success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. Edison said 1% and 99%, but he was famous for using trial and error. In other words, he guessed at a solution and checked the results, and that's why he perhaps discounted inspiration.

Talented Game Designers
Some people certainly have a talent for designing games and some people certainly don't. Inborn talent may make the difference between a decent game and a good game but game design is also a craft that can be learned, not something that only a few lucky individuals can do. The necessary creativity is in most of us. We just need to bring it out, or bring it back in Maslow's terms.

Execution counts for far more in game design than creativity. If there is no creativity then you're probably not going to get much of a game, but creativity is not the major part of the equation.

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Adams and Rollings in Game Design Fundamentals suggest that creativity or innovation by the game designer amounts to 5% of a game. My formulation is a modified form of something Thomas Edison said, and that is success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. Edison said 1% and 99%, but he was famous for using trial and error.

This is so true. Send me to the pub with a friend, and we'll have 100 ideas for you within an hour. Ideas are easy. Turning them into products is hard.

Envisioner

Explorer
Yeah, creativity is like air - absolutely essential, but also so commonplace as to be worthless. Anyone up to and including toddlers can manage to come up with an idea, perhaps even an interesting one, but having sufficient intelligence to actually explore that idea to a reasonable extent, that's what's of real benefit to society.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
More adventure ideas, less meta; it's like I bought The Spinward Marches by mongoose, mostly old data, and everything else was meta-story that didn't help me GM a game at all.

DWChancellor

Kobold Enthusiast
At work we call this "vision" and then pretend that "vision" is the hard part. I'm continuously surprised that so many people with engineering degrees and engineering backgrounds haven't shaken this mental corruption.

I so enjoy all the shouts of "innovation" and "transformation" as if adjectives have anything to do with how things actually get done. Especially when both words are mostly code for "do less, care less, but make us look good while we dismantle everything of value our predecessors built."

Tom B1

Explorer
More adventure ideas, less meta; it's like I bought The Spinward Marches by mongoose, mostly old data, and everything else was meta-story that didn't help me GM a game at all.

I like MgT, but the reality is, all you really need for Traveller as a game is:
a) A bit of an idea of the setting
b) A few nuggets and NPCs to knock together in ways that players may want to muck with
c) A task system where you can easily describe any task (a difficulty, some assets, special circumstances) and resolve it fairly easily

Everything else is overdone. How many unusable Traveller ship combat systems do I own? Boxed mayday or TNE's Brilliant Lances are the two best, but both still flawed. And how many vehicle construction systems do we need or even want to try to write software and debug to make calculation humanly feasible without aneurysms? None. We can make up the stats of vehicles we think need stats.

Creativity is often in recognizing what is working, what is not, and what to amputate and discard. But without the hard work, without the diligent work to test and revise, we never get to the final product with high quality.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I like MgT, but the reality is, all you really need for Traveller as a game is:
a) A bit of an idea of the setting
b) A few nuggets and NPCs to knock together in ways that players may want to muck with
c) A task system where you can easily describe any task (a difficulty, some assets, special circumstances) and resolve it fairly easily

Everything else is overdone. How many unusable Traveller ship combat systems do I own? Boxed mayday or TNE's Brilliant Lances are the two best, but both still flawed. And how many vehicle construction systems do we need or even want to try to write software and debug to make calculation humanly feasible without aneurysms? None. We can make up the stats of vehicles we think need stats.

Creativity is often in recognizing what is working, what is not, and what to amputate and discard. But without the hard work, without the diligent work to test and revise, we never get to the final product with high quality.

I just bought this from DTRPG for $20, it's all you need:
file.php

I played mongoose for 10 years, it has too many problems, very long and whiffy combats, space combat gets even worse. Classic has some issues too, except for whatever it's worth, it's fast; plus Classic sticks more to the science fiction side, and mongoose veers off into space fantasy. I think I counted 683 original PDF's for Classic that I bought from Marc Miller, mong of course mines that for most of it's pubs, just converting stuff over, with some results great, others abysmal. Absolutely the worst products have been from mongoose, where GDW stuff is the highest quality.

For space combat, Classic's "Book 2" style is about the best (also what is used in the Traveller Book above), it's quick, and there is a lot for players to do, plus it strikes a good balance between play-ability and real world physics. Later Traveller stuff, such as armor on spacecraft, or big "spinal mounts" weapons are fantasy; sadly these tropes get repeated in other systems as well as later versions.

The worst for game design is poorly thought out meta, which after reading, adds nothing to the game, except wasting time. Cue the game designer as frustrated novelist cliche, but there is truth to that. What games need in design is concise writing and a laser like focus on the table, and whatever fluff, chrome, or meta, shouldn't rise above 5-10% of the product.

pemerton

Legend
Classic has some issues too, except for whatever it's worth, it's fast; plus Classic sticks more to the science fiction side

<snip>

For space combat, Classic's "Book 2" style is about the best (also what is used in the Traveller Book above), it's quick, and there is a lot for players to do, plus it strikes a good balance between play-ability and real world physics. Later Traveller stuff, such as armor on spacecraft, or big "spinal mounts" weapons are fantasy; sadly these tropes get repeated in other systems as well as later versions.
I use 1977 Classic with some modified PC gen tables to incorporate some later skills, a few tweaks borrowed from the 1981/Traveller Book revision, and a few tweaks of my own. Your post makes me almost ashamed to admit that I have written up some rules that incorporates spinal mounts (vailable for vessels of around 4000+ tons) into Book 2 space combat, loosely inspired by High Guard.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads