Worlds of Design: How Long Should Your Rulebook Be?

The nature of tabletop RPGs is that the players can try to do anything, so it's impossible to cover every possibility in the rules. In a way your rules are like the programming of a video game, because you can’t cover every possibility.

The nature of tabletop role-playing games is that the players can try to do anything, so it's impossible to cover every possibility in the rules. In a way your rules are like the programming of a video game, because you can’t cover every possibility.

pens-5034971_960_720.png

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Among the online audiovisual game design courses I offer (on Udemy.com) is about six hours on rules writing for tabletop games. The following discussion is specifically about the special aspects of RPG rules writing.

Tabletop vs. Video Game RPG Design​

The nature of tabletop RPGs is that the players can try to do anything, so it's impossible to cover every possibility in the rules. That's the reason why you have a human game master (GM). In video game RPGs, without a human GM, the players are far more limited in what they can do, but that’s no different than other video or board games. In a way, your rules are like the programming of a video game, because you can’t cover every possibility. So how much DO you cover?

The question really amounts to: how long do you want your rules to be? Hundreds of thousands of words as in Fifth Edition Dungeons & Dragons, or as in a Pathfinder rulebook (a massive 566 large-format pages)? Or do you want to stick to a “mere” 100,000 words, which is on the long end of the average novel length? I recently saw a game by Robin Laws quoted at 700,000 words!

Contrast this with board and card games which have rules as little as 1,000 words, where 20,000 is a lot (that’s more than the rules and commentaries of my epic game Britannia). The British 20th century composer Sir William Walton wrote only one opera; when he finished he said “don’t write an opera, too many notes”. From a design standpoint I have the same view about role-playing game rules: “too many words.”

You have to choose your emphasis, even if you write 700,000 words. What are the main attractions or foci of your game? Is it combat, interpersonal relationships, role-playing, exploration, politics, or something else? Write your more detailed rules to cover those possibilities. Don't try to be exhaustive, because if you do you'll become exhausted, and so will many of your readers. Some of them will be happy to read every word you want to write, but that's the exception. I hearken to these maxims even in role-playing games, certainly in board and card games:
  • everything should be made as simple as possible but not simpler” (Albert Einstein)
  • a designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add but when there is nothing left to take away” (Antoine de Saint-Exupery).

Rules vs. Settings vs. Adventures​

Keep in mind the distinction between rules, settings, and adventures. A game must have rules, but a role-playing game does not need an explicit setting, and does not need to include adventures. The rules describe the mechanisms of the game. Rules govern what the characters can and cannot do, and how they try to do them, and the GM takes care of the rest.

Settings, on the other hand, describe the area where the player characters operate. It may be an entire world, it may be part of the world, it may be quite small or quite large. Its geography, chronology, history, technology, culture ecology, and other aspects are all part of the setting. So you can have setting books that are larger than the average novel.

Most RPGs have a default setting that determines things like: Are there rayguns? Are there horses? Are there large warships? Is there gunpowder? and so forth. For D&D the answer was "late medieval with magic added, and a little Tolkien".

Adventures describe a situation with an objective, where characters have the opportunity to succeed or fail. There can be a story imposed by the designer, or the designer can present an interesting situation and let the players write their own stories, or somewhere in between.

You are obliged to write the rules if you're going to make a game. As the game designer you're not obliged to write the setting or adventures, but either one (and especially some kinds of adventures) might make it easier for your game to function immediately when someone buys it.

Keep in mind also that role-playing games derive from miniatures games, not from board or card games. People expect board/card game rules to be precise and all-encompassing, although it often doesn't work out that way. People expect miniatures rules to require a certain amount of negotiation! In RPGs we have the GM to arbitrate and mostly avoid negotiation. Your RPG rules are most unlikely to be as precise, and certainly not as all-encompassing, as board or card game rules, because RPGs inherently involve fewer constraints. There's just a lot more you have to talk about in an RPG, unless you leave a great deal to the GM.

Game Master Rules​

That brings up a major question in writing RPG rules. In board and card game rules you have no impartial arbiter to interpret and flesh out the rules. Players will be reading the rules, and players tend to read rules the way most benefits them in the specific instance. (Of course, RPG players do this as well.) The question is, how much do you want to leave rulings to the GM?

In the early evolution of the hobby the GM was god-like in his or her effect on the game. This has changed because it's hard to be a GM, to be able to make rulings that make sense and hang together, to deal with the diverse agendas of the players. So over time games have tended to make the GM an arbiter of the rules rather than a godlike influence, with the idea that this is easier for a GM to do. The unstated objective, I think, is to enable more people to GM successfully. But it means the rules must have more and more detail, and must be more and more precise to avoid interminable arguments between GM and players. So your choice of rules length is likely to make a big difference in what kind of GM you require.

RPG and board game rules are different because there are different objectives, but mainly because games need either precise rules, or a GM. Always keep in mind, the more you try to do with a set of rules, the more likely you are to leave them unfinished!

Your Turn: Have you ever written a set of RPG rules? Did you finish? If not, why not?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

univoxs

That's my dog, Walter
Supporter
Every time I think I have a unique idea, it turns out someone already did it. More than writing clear and concise rules, formatting and presentation are the things that would drive me so batty I would never complete a work. Nothing frustrates me more than working on a document in say Microsoft Publisher. I have self published a couple short stories and I never got the formatting the way I liked. The fact that I give up so easily means I should not be in the game in the first place. If I truly had the passion for it I would see it through. I'll leave the writing and publishing to the professionals just like they leave the arm-chair quarterbacking and "if-it-were-me"isms to us rabble.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I've written rules for boardgames, and I've written rules for several RPGs. It really does vary. Probably by personal preference as well. Most of the rpg rulebooks I've written are all encompassing--no separate book for players, GMs, etc. So those are around 300 pages or so, with well over 2/3 of that devoted just to monsters and magic items (a lot of page count goes there, as well as spells). I really try to keep big rule books under 400 pages. More than that, and the heft is just too much and page count is intimidating. My boardgame rules are under 20 pages or so. That's the hardest challenge, as a lot of things go to the cutting room floor. Only the most critical rules need to be in, and things must be kept simple.

Currently I'm working on Chromatic Dungeons (an OSR clone), and I'm up to about 200 pages and have just started monster entries (and still have magic items left to go). Everything else is written. Then again, I'm intentionally trying to keep rules fairly simple, like a cross between B/X and 2e. Give the guidelines and structure, then let the individual GM decide rulings based on playstyle preferences.

Atomoctba

Adventurer
Yes, I already wrote four or five different RPG systems, but none with the idea of publishing. Just to take fun with my tabletop friends. Also, I think I do them just for the pleasure of do them and nothing more. A new working system is rewarding for my needs of dopamin hehe.

Of course, not every one of my homebrew systems were really good or even playable. One of them seemed beautiful on paper and a disaster when my tabletop pals attempted to use it. There are others I am proud of, but doubt would be popular because they are very niche.

Kannik

Hero
I've written a few RPG rulesets over the years (some more complete than other), and my current one (The Aurora RPG Engine) is about 4 pages to describe the core engine (or 25 6x9 sized pages in an introductory document that includes designer notes and suggestions for how to hook onto the core engine for different genres/games).

That's just for the engine; I'm playtesting it in a Star Wars campaign right now (to which I am delighted and pleasantly surprised to find is going very well), and the expanded/complete ruleset currently sits at around 44 pages. With full prose and layout, plus adding in the few other items that are missing, I'd say it would probably clock in at around 80 pages or so. Then there would be the sourcebook pages (general NPC stats, equipment, etc) for about another 20-40ish pages.

The "sourcebook" type material of world fiction, lore, magic, adversaries, etc, is often where most of an RPG's page count comes from (something like half the D&D PHB are spells, for example). So a game based on modern day action requires less overall page count than something based on a fictional world with magic or supertech that requires both more rules and more background material. :)

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I prefer less is more approach. The more you try to write about something the potential for the user to miss something because they gloss over a giant text block. If you can express your idea successfully in the fewest words as possible those rules are much easier to digest and be retained by the player.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Oh yes. Back in the day, before TFT was a thing, half our player group wrote short rule sets to turn Melee and Wizard into an RPG. In recent years I've finally written up a rulebook for my own RPG. Nothing new in it, and I find it tempting to add/subtract stuff whenever a new rule that I like shows up. Just the old, this is what I want to play sort of thing.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I wrote some 5e stuff for a 3pp, but not my own game (yet). I actually would prefer to make my own setting/adventures, but lack the time to do so; and, I must admit, I dearly love Paizo's Golarion setting too much to set it down.

I extensively house-rule and transplant parts of different game systems together, but I've never considered writing for others simply because it doesn't pay enough to make it worth the effort.

Ace

Adventurer
I wrote a 24 Hour RPG some time back. It came to 2700 words or so. I never released it since it was nothing special and I wrote in on impulse.

Having written many reviews on this site back in the 3e days along with some articles for other publishers I can tell you from experience, its time consuming and a lot of work. As such I probably wouldn't write an RPG except as a labor of love since its not going to be better than any game out there now.

If I were writing that labor of love, what Ron Edwards calls a Fantasy Heartbreaker , I'd do it in 3 books either 64 or 128 pages, likely a core rules, companion and world book. Anything more than that would be too much effort to write or honesty if anyone played it, to learn. A few exceptions aside, simple systems like Tiny D6 are the current gaming trend IMO.

I'd guess each book would take several months and frankly in a crowded market, almost no one would bother with them other than my own group if them so it wouldn't be worth it.

Even if I were to use an established system, like say a Fantasy Medieval Christian version of Blue Rose/True 20 I tinkered with a good setting would still be quite intensive to write and the whole thing might come in over 300 pages. I've written that much and it can take months.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads