Worlds of Design: How "Precise" Should RPG Rules Be?

I was watching a game played with a dice pool, and could see that the GM was waiting for the dice roll and then deciding by what felt right, rather than having any kind of precise resolution. How precise are the RPG rules themselves, and what are the consequences of imprecision?

I was watching a game played with a dice pool, and could see that the GM was waiting for the dice roll and then deciding by what felt right, rather than having any kind of precise resolution. How precise are the RPG rules themselves, and what are the consequences of imprecision?

But, he thought, I keep them with precision. Only I have no luck anymore. But who knows? Maybe today. Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

In answering this question, I thought about FATE and its fudgable (by design) rules. It moves far toward storytelling aid and away from traditional game. Contrast the relatively short FATE rules with the vast rules of versions of D&D beginning with Advanced D&D (1e).
[h=3]Miniatures-Based[/h] From a board gamer’s point of view, much about miniatures rules is open to negotiation, a reason why there are referees at so many miniatures battles. Fantasy RPGs derive from the Chainmail miniatures battle rules, not from board games.

Board games must have precise rules. There’s no GM (in almost every case) to interpret or to be rules arbiter. RPGs can get away with vague or incomplete rules because there is a GM (in most cases). On the other hand, an RPG is trying to cover “everything” that might happen, so naturally the rules tend to be much longer than the rules for a board game.

Precision in rules is important to a game’s GM philosophy. If the GM is merely a rules arbiter, then precise rules are vital. If the GM is a god-like guide who is above the rules, less precise rules work. It’s easier for a GM to be a rules arbiter, and that expands the potential pool of referees. We saw this especially clearly in 4e D&D.

Video games must have precision underneath, for programming purposes. Video game design documents (or whatever system is used) must be explicit and complete, so that programmers and other game developers can do what the designer intends.

It’s very difficult to be both precise and concise. When I’ve playtested a board game solo several times, the rules I then write will mostly cover the basics. By the time I’m done with the game (likely years later) there have been questions that required additional explanation, and even though my philosophy is to simplify a game rather than add things to it to solve problems, the final rules will be half again as long as the early ones in order to provide clarity and precision.

"Legalese" is an example of rules-writing gone way too far to the side of precision. But one person’s legalese is another person’s precision.
[h=3]“Reasonable” Players?[/h] The writer of the following comment epitomizes the “rules don’t require precision” attitude:

"[Game] Writers tend to be too wordy and explain everything in excessive detail when in fact their readers are perfectly capable of drawing their own conclusions from just a bit of input." --anonymousmagic

This advice may work for RPGs, where you have both a rules arbiter/god and a group of players who can restrain the rules lawyers in the group. If you're designing a game where people won't be very competitive (no "rules lawyers") then this can work. But it’s bad advice if you're designing a competitive game.

I like rules that are similar to technical writing (instructions), that attempt to be exact rather than "reasonable". Because there are *lots* of unreasonable game players, especially for two-player games where there might not be a majority of reasonable players to rein in the unreasonable one.
[h=3]Chrome[/h] “Chrome” is exceptions or additions to the basic rules to provide much of the color and flavor of historical games and fictional games. But as exceptions/additions to the basic rules it adds to the length and complexity of the rules.

Take the simple example of leaders in a wargame. Standard Risk has just a single kind of unit, the Army. There are no leaders. In Britannia there are a number of leaders, even though most armies are of one basic type, with the leaders adding to the dice roll in combat. Simple enough, but leaders provide a human element in a game about a thousand years of history. In Diplomacy, a faceless World War I game, an epitome of simple that relies on player-to-player negotiations for most of its interest, there are no leaders.

In RPGs, which are the opposite of facelessness, almost every designer will want lots of “chrome” to help represent a “real world” experience, even if it’s a fictional world.

How precise should RPG rules be? “It depends.”

This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. Lew was Contributing Editor to Dragon, White Dwarf, and Space Gamer magazines and contributed monsters to TSR's original Fiend Folio, including the Elemental Princes of Evil, denzelian, and poltergeist. You can follow Lew on his web site and his Udemy course landing page. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio
I

Immortal Sun

Hmmmm...well, the article is indeed less offensive.

But it doesn't really seem to say much.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
70's games are usually a bad example for rules, as they almost always started small and then grew in an ad hoc manner. 80's rules then decide to have a rule for everything, which meant subsystems often worked poorly, as well as edge case rules could be played by a rules savvy player.

While a decade and a half later, 3E seemed to have a rule for everything and had craziness like the grappling and Dispel Magic rules.

practicalm

Explorer
I'm not sure I'd really characterize that as "rules precision" per se. HERO or GURPS are both examples of very precise systems. They're point buy type systems rather than class/level. Using a class/level system is a design choice that many games make, particularly ones that have an implicit "zero to hero" basis and are trying to keep all the PCs on similar rough power positions. They have their benefits, but introduce some definite rough spots or "proud nails". You're right, the old wizard or old veteran is level 1 is an example. This is really more a property of a level system, though, not a class system, and you'd likely see the same thing happen in a point buy system with fixed point totals unless there was a way for the true novice to leave points unspent or allocated to "good fortune" or something like that.

It really isn't hard in point buy systems to have characters that are more naturally talented but have few skills and then characters with more points in skills. People's preferences for this sort of thing matter.

I do notice that characters bought to a certain point value in GURPS or HERO are very different than characters that are both to a lower level and then have received xp to spend. I like that dynamic better than leveling up.

And yes GURPS and HERO are very precise systems around character generation and success rolls. Skills default to other skills and there is even a TL attached to skills in GURPS which can matter for time hopping adventurers, but the way that precision is used is important as well. At a certain skill level there shouldn't be rolling for routine tasks, similar to how skills in 5th edition D&D are often used.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Hmmmm...well, the article is indeed less offensive.

But it doesn't really seem to say much.
Agreed. It needs more "precision". Or more cowbell. Heck, anything with a clear, concise thought on whatever he's trying to say!

Good articles don't end with "it depends" as your definitive answer. On the other hand, good relationships will end if you answer anything with "it depends". Try it sometime when you need an excuse to live on someone's couch for a few days.

Retreater

Legend
I like precision. It suggests simplicity. I can easily get my head around something tactically precise like 4e and be dumbfounded by the rules for role-playing scenes in more modern games. Reading those kind of rules just make me want to throw up my hands and say "just tell the GM that rules don't matter and do what you think is cool and while you're at it, toss these rules in the trash because you don't need rules to tell your story; damage the characters or don't depending on what the story wants you to do. And if the characters succeed or fail is dependent on what points the players spend in the drama pool and if anyone feels sad today."

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
While a decade and a half later, 3E seemed to have a rule for everything and had craziness like the grappling and Dispel Magic rules.

Sure, I don't think "the rule for everything" game era is over, even now; except yes, I agree, it is about how well the subsystems work. Sometimes I think the playtesting wasn't thorough enough, or they did, and then changed things. I have also seen in playtests things get rewritten, but the original rules get put in the final product ...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Indeed. And it only got worse as 1e progressed (hence some of the value of 2e - notice how surprise rules were regularized). It’s one reason 1e could never really be called a rules-light system. I think people tend to get that impression because, due to DM heavy lifting of the rules, players could experience it in a rules-lightish way.
And this is a key point: only the DM needed to worry about a lot of the mechanics or even know (or care) how they worked. This is still my preference as a player.
3e shifted the expectation rather than add a lot more rules by exposing the rules in the player book rather than put them in the DMG only. In fact, I’d really say 2e started that trend, 3e just solidified it.
And in so doing changed the "feel" of play whether intentionally or not, as players now had to concern themselves much more with game mechanics during the run of play; something I found quite annoying as a player.

As a DM, having the mechanics mostly be DM-side also makes it easier to change or tweak or kitbash something that for whatever reason isn't working.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
And this is a key point: only the DM needed to worry about a lot of the mechanics or even know (or care) how they worked.

Darn kids nowadays! With their fancy newfangled hula-hoops, rock music, and knowing game rules.

I generally fall on the side of "I want to know the rules" but my first experience with Vampire: The Masquerade was with a game where we didn't know the rules and the Storyteller rolled all the dice. I will say this... it really heightened the mystery and tension in a way that knowing the rules probably would have changed. Of course, the players need to have very high trust in the GM, who really needs to have very solid mastery of the system.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads