Worlds of Design: How "Precise" Should RPG Rules Be?

I was watching a game played with a dice pool, and could see that the GM was waiting for the dice roll and then deciding by what felt right, rather than having any kind of precise resolution. How precise are the RPG rules themselves, and what are the consequences of imprecision?

But, he thought, I keep them with precision. Only I have no luck anymore. But who knows? Maybe today. Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

In answering this question, I thought about FATE and its fudgable (by design) rules. It moves far toward storytelling aid and away from traditional game. Contrast the relatively short FATE rules with the vast rules of versions of D&D beginning with Advanced D&D (1e).
[h=3]Miniatures-Based[/h] From a board gamer’s point of view, much about miniatures rules is open to negotiation, a reason why there are referees at so many miniatures battles. Fantasy RPGs derive from the Chainmail miniatures battle rules, not from board games.

Board games must have precise rules. There’s no GM (in almost every case) to interpret or to be rules arbiter. RPGs can get away with vague or incomplete rules because there is a GM (in most cases). On the other hand, an RPG is trying to cover “everything” that might happen, so naturally the rules tend to be much longer than the rules for a board game.

Precision in rules is important to a game’s GM philosophy. If the GM is merely a rules arbiter, then precise rules are vital. If the GM is a god-like guide who is above the rules, less precise rules work. It’s easier for a GM to be a rules arbiter, and that expands the potential pool of referees. We saw this especially clearly in 4e D&D.

Video games must have precision underneath, for programming purposes. Video game design documents (or whatever system is used) must be explicit and complete, so that programmers and other game developers can do what the designer intends.

It’s very difficult to be both precise and concise. When I’ve playtested a board game solo several times, the rules I then write will mostly cover the basics. By the time I’m done with the game (likely years later) there have been questions that required additional explanation, and even though my philosophy is to simplify a game rather than add things to it to solve problems, the final rules will be half again as long as the early ones in order to provide clarity and precision.

"Legalese" is an example of rules-writing gone way too far to the side of precision. But one person’s legalese is another person’s precision.
[h=3]“Reasonable” Players?[/h] The writer of the following comment epitomizes the “rules don’t require precision” attitude:

"[Game] Writers tend to be too wordy and explain everything in excessive detail when in fact their readers are perfectly capable of drawing their own conclusions from just a bit of input." --anonymousmagic

This advice may work for RPGs, where you have both a rules arbiter/god and a group of players who can restrain the rules lawyers in the group. If you're designing a game where people won't be very competitive (no "rules lawyers") then this can work. But it’s bad advice if you're designing a competitive game.

I like rules that are similar to technical writing (instructions), that attempt to be exact rather than "reasonable". Because there are *lots* of unreasonable game players, especially for two-player games where there might not be a majority of reasonable players to rein in the unreasonable one.
[h=3]Chrome[/h] “Chrome” is exceptions or additions to the basic rules to provide much of the color and flavor of historical games and fictional games. But as exceptions/additions to the basic rules it adds to the length and complexity of the rules.

Take the simple example of leaders in a wargame. Standard Risk has just a single kind of unit, the Army. There are no leaders. In Britannia there are a number of leaders, even though most armies are of one basic type, with the leaders adding to the dice roll in combat. Simple enough, but leaders provide a human element in a game about a thousand years of history. In Diplomacy, a faceless World War I game, an epitome of simple that relies on player-to-player negotiations for most of its interest, there are no leaders.

In RPGs, which are the opposite of facelessness, almost every designer will want lots of “chrome” to help represent a “real world” experience, even if it’s a fictional world.

How precise should RPG rules be? “It depends.”

This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. Lew was Contributing Editor to Dragon, White Dwarf, and Space Gamer magazines and contributed monsters to TSR's original Fiend Folio, including the Elemental Princes of Evil, denzelian, and poltergeist. You can follow Lew on his web site and his Udemy course landing page. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio
Personally I feel that games are too precise these days. I also don't like the "Robot" language used. RPGs are too often written like a boardgame. And frankly that just breaks the immersion.

For instance, so you are describing a spell. The text will refer to Condition Z (like Staggered) or Weapon Quality X (like Knockdown) and use key terms like Blast or Cone. Why not just describe using proper sentences and common sense words (everyone knows what unconscious or asleep means for instance) rather than terms or acronyms which refer you to another page ?

Its one of the reasons I fell out of love with the 2d20 system by Modiphius, every frekin thing references something else. It just bogged down everything unless you somehow knew all the rules by heart. Same with D&D 5e, the text is so robotic. It used to be fun reading 1st and 2nd edition AD&D, the new editions may have less up to interpretation, but it so god-awful boring to read.

That position is too hardlined for my tastes. There is not a singular traditional model of play; there are traditional models of play. You mention GURPS a lot, so should I assume that's your pet system? It was first published in 1986. That date is after much of the old school play that the OP generally regards as traditional RP. So GURPS would hardly qualify as traditional either. Yet here you are suggesting that Fate can't be traditional because "GURPS-style Ads & Disads...are still king," implicitly occupying a traditional position.

Nah, I'm a d100 guy. But GURPS is a poster child for the Ad/Disad approach to character customization. GURPS-type of games are an extension of the old-school games - first by a skill system and then later Ads/Disads or Edges/Flaws. It's a road that RPGs in general have been taking and that continues to this day. But if you insist we can consider the games of the 90s (and late 80s, I suppose) Middle School. It has become a standard model of gaming. I think its main property is character customization with handpicked skills and Ads/Disads that confer a variety of different mechanical benefits. And, for a time, a plethora of circumstantial modifiers. But that has fallen a bit out of favor (Shadowrun still practices it though).

I would argue that the main FUDGE chassis for Fate is conventional. It operates as a GM-set ladder difficulty scale or through opposed rolls. There are skills. You can use your skills to Attack, Defend, and Overcome opposition. And that propels a solid chunk of the game. That is the conventional part of Fate I was discussing.
I agree that FUDGE is more conventional than FATE.

Much as I said before, the main unconventionality of Fate as you seem to suggest here as well is the addition of Aspect-related add-on features. It's unquestionably a big feature, but there is nevertheless a lot of conventional design behind Fate. Its unconventionality does not erase its conventionality.
Well, we're talking about degrees here and that is always subjective and I am not very inclined to quibble about that. But let me just point out:

• rolling Attributes and Skills into one,
  • range bands; and,
  • the damage system
are all more or less unconventional.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
That position is too hardlined for my tastes. There is not a singular traditional model of play; there are traditional models of play. You mention GURPS a lot, so should I assume that's your pet system? It was first published in 1986. That date is after much of the old school play that the OP generally regards as traditional RP. So GURPS would hardly qualify as traditional either. Yet here you are suggesting that Fate can't be traditional because "GURPS-style Ads & Disads...are still king," implicitly occupying a traditional position.

Whether you agree or not, it's got a certain persuasiveness. There may be subcultures within the broader RPG culture in which other traditions may dominate, but as long as those subcultures are a small proportion of the broader RPG culture, their niche traditions will never be viewed as traditions of that broader culture - no matter how old they are.

And there we go. It has become a standard model. We are now talking about multiple models, standards, and traditions.
We can do that but if we evaluate the ICv2 charts, we got to concede that the Middle School model is kinda the prevalent one.

D&D 5E might make concessions to the OSR with its toning down of Skills and Feats but it's still not Old School. And if I was hard pressed to find any concessions to the New School, I'd probably pick 5E's Inspiration and Advantages/Disadvantages, having a very vague semblence to Aspects.

Are you misreading me on purpose?
No. Correction: I think that FUDGE is more conventional than FATE.

Aldarc

Legend
We can do that but if we evaluate the ICv2 charts, we got to concede that the Middle School model is kinda the prevalent one.

D&D 5E might make concessions to the OSR with its toning down of Skills and Feats but it's still not Old School. And if I was hard pressed to find any concessions to the New School, I'd probably pick 5E's Inspiration and Advantages/Disadvantages, having a very vague semblence to Aspects.
I don't think I am having the conversation with you that you think that I am having. :erm:

I don't dispute this. However, I am also not arguing whether one game is more conventional than other. I argued that Fate's core, underlying chassis is fairly conventional.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Personally I feel that games are too precise these days. I also don't like the "Robot" language used. RPGs are too often written like a boardgame. And frankly that just breaks the immersion.

I get where you're coming from. The more transparent and simple the mechanics are, all other things being equal, the more they can get out of the way.

For instance, so you are describing a spell. The text will refer to Condition Z (like Staggered) or Weapon Quality X (like Knockdown) and use key terms like Blast or Cone. Why not just describe using proper sentences and common sense words (everyone knows what unconscious or asleep means for instance) rather than terms or acronyms which refer you to another page ?

Its one of the reasons I fell out of love with the 2d20 system by Modiphius, every frekin thing references something else. It just bogged down everything unless you somehow knew all the rules by heart. Same with D&D 5e, the text is so robotic. It used to be fun reading 1st and 2nd edition AD&D, the new editions may have less up to interpretation, but it so god-awful boring to read.

This can be an issue with both games you cite and I do think there's a real tradeoff between clarity of rules and fun to read. Still, ultimately games are meant to be played, although I do recognize that a lot of the enjoyment comes from the savoring. However, the John Carter 2D20 rules are likely to be lighter than, say, Conan, which would help a lot in the respect of stripping off the things that make Conan rather crunchy. I really like 2D20 in general but it does have a few too many bells and whistles in spots. I found a good bit of the special effects can simply be ignored or altered a bit and it sped up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Still working it out myself, honestly. The best answer so far: reading RPG rules, for the reader, provides an experience equivalent to participating in--playing--the RPG.

OK, I think we part company there. IMO good rules often don't actually read all that well in terms of sparking the imagination but they play well. This is where good art and a few good fictional examples of play can really help, though. Also, lots of times, the part that's the most fun and interesting is the world building, at least to me, although too much of that can be a real burden.

Reading the rules of chess, the player may imagine various moves and countermoves. But this experience is best described in terms of sheer mechanics--a rook moves so, a queen reacts so. In essence, a player is encouraged to experience aspects of the finite decision space.

But this ignores the emotional aspect of a game like chess. A human player has an emotional experience. Good competitive players are generally skilled at reading other people's emotions and keeping cool to play a stratagem through.

RPG rules provoke an experience outside the purported decision space.
That is, a player reading combat rules is invited, even compelled, to imagine that combat inside a context larger than the combat rules cover or CAN cover. To wit: who is fighting? Why? What do they look like? What are the physical, emotional, and social contexts of the encounter? Etc., etc.

100%. It's a rare person who imbues chess pieces with a characterization, whereas the ideal in a TTRPG is that this happens. There is a fictional secondary reality to it that's generally absent from most board games.

Hussar

Legend

Really? 5e is chock a block with new school type mechanics.

Fighter's Second Wind, various reroll mechanics (Lucky Feat, Halfling's Luck), encounter design being set to xp budget, lack of save or die, heck, even the concept of bounded accuracy is very much a New School approach to game design.

5e is mechanically very much a new school game. It's miles away from an Old school game. The only really old school thing about 5e is how it's written. And, even then, it's still very much grounded in story creation and creating character in play. The whole "test the player" thing is virtually absent from 5e play.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases