Worlds of Design: Is There a Default Sci-Fi Setting?

The science fiction default setting is less clear than the “Late Medieval plus some Tolkien” fantasy default, but let’s talk about it.

The science fiction default setting is less clear than the “Late Medieval plus some Tolkien” fantasy default, but let’s talk about it.

futuristic-5930957_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Months ago I discussed the fantasy default setting in "Baseline Assumptions of Fantasy RPGs.” A default may not exist at all in some of the sci-fi categories below, but I think it’s worth discussing.

The Automation Difference​

Keep in mind the big difference between fantasy and science fiction: automation. Stories are about people, not machines, even though automation is likely to be dominant in the future. We already see this happening today, with robotic explorers on Mars, and unmanned drones fighting terrestrial wars.

It’s also possible that science fiction novel and game authors spend more time describing their settings than fantasy authors do, maybe because there’s so much more deviation from a default than in fantasy. In general, there may be less emphasis on "monsters" and uncivilized "barbarians" than in fantasy worlds.

In no particular order I’ll discuss:
  • Automation
  • Transportation
  • Communication
  • Adventurers
  • Aliens
  • History & Change
  • Technology
  • Warfare & Military
  • Demography & Habitation
  • Longevity

Automation​

Let's start with automation. In sci-fi settings, automation tends to vary immensely. We can see robots as intelligent as humans, and other settings where automation has not reached the level of human intelligence. You rarely see automation dominating the military, again because stories are about people, not machines. In Frank Herbert’s universe (Dune), the Butlerian Jihad has eliminated automation where any kind of intelligence is involved.

Transportation​

Faster-than-light travel is most common; often even very small spaceships, such as shuttles and fighters, can achieve it, sometimes it takes a big ship. If there is no faster-than-light travel, then the setting is usually confined to one star system, or involves “generation ships.” Sometimes the ships have built-in drives, so they can go from anywhere to anywhere; other times they must use fixed links in some kind of natural or man-made network, whether it’s wormholes or something else.

Communication​

Most likely, communication is at light speed, or at travel speed, whichever is faster. Once in a while you get instantaneous speaking communication (as in Star Wars); but that gets hard to believe on the scale of an entire galaxy, if only for the potential interference.

Adventurers​

Are there “adventurers” at all? Maybe we should say, people who go on, or get caught up in, adventures? I don’t see a common thread for how numerous such people are.

Aliens​

There’s no default here, but most common is a human-centric universe, possibly with no aliens, possibly with aliens ignored by or subordinated to humans. We also see humans as subordinate to aliens, in some sub-genres.

History & Change​

Time frame varies from near-future to millennia from now. Rate of change is usually very slow in the latter, so that the setting can still have some familiarity to readers and players. The pace of change in the near future is inevitably quick, as we see things change so quickly in the modern day that we’d be puzzled by slow tech change in anything like our own society.

Technology​

No default here. The paranormal may be important. Much of what goes on is still familiar to contemporary people, because that helps make it easier to willingly suspend disbelief.

Warfare & Military​

This is all over the map. Conflicts are usually between worlds or groups of worlds. What’s notable is that authors are often stuck in some kind of earth-history model where ground forces are very important. Keep in mind, typical SF situations are lots of separate star systems, much like small islands. What really counts is the (space) navy, if anyone is willing to “blast planets back into the stone age.” If they are willing to do that, ground forces don’t matter/are on a suicide mission. If they’re not willing to bombard planets, then ground forces matter, but are at immense disadvantage when the enemy controls the orbital zone of the planet.

Demography & Habitation​

Terra-formed worlds or worlds naturally habitable, versus most people live in habitats to protect them from hostile environment. In the video game Elite: Dangerous, planets are just barren places to explore, space stations are where people live. Again, there’s no default.

Longevity​

I’ve always found it odd that Elves, with vast lifespans, are as willing to risk their long future in potentially lethal adventures as they seem to be in fantasy games. If the technology of the science fiction setting provides long life or even immortality, how does that affect adventuring?

For further reading, see Atomic Rockets. It’s a website describing various SF topics, often baring the fundamentals of what reality might demand. Such as why interstellar trade is likely to be very sparse or non-existent.

Your Turn: Have you devised a campaign setting for science fiction role-playing?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

aramis erak

Legend
I think there are now (but not until the mid 00's) two default settings...

Star Trek (Hard Space Opera/soft Sci-Fi)
Star Wars (Soft-Space Opera/ space fantasy)

Anything other than those two really needs explanation to players. And that explanation can either be in rules or in a licensed property's films/tele/books.

Traveller is as much a default setting for science fiction as D&D is for fantasy.

I’ve never understood why some game designers can’t see that. Traveller is a generic science fiction RPG, while the default Third Imperium setting is also similar to the vanilla fantasy of Forgotten Realms, in effect. You can do a different sci-fi tale each week as you travel around a diverse galaxy of encounters. You can incorporate concepts from Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, as well as classic writers such as Asimov or Heinlein and, in later editions, a fair sprinkling of cyberpunk and biotech ideas too.

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
The trouble with sf rpg is logic is harsh trip wire. I was running a T20 Traveller game. I was going to strand them on a desert island. Um A planet with only one mining company with min star port. I got them crashed halfway across the planet. My plot line was meet the natives. Party with the natives. Discover the natives have access to Tech 14 or what ever the magic tech level was. Logic defeated me as. One player point out the tech level I set of the mining company who had access to weather/com stats. And two air to space ships.

Laurefindel

Legend
Traveller is as much a default setting for science fiction as D&D is for fantasy.

I’ve never understood why some game designers can’t see that. Traveller is a generic science fiction RPG, while the default Third Imperium setting is also similar to the vanilla fantasy of Forgotten Realms, in effect. You can do a different sci-fi tale each week as you travel around a diverse galaxy of encounters. You can incorporate concepts from Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, as well as classic writers such as Asimov or Heinlein and, in later editions, a fair sprinkling of cyberpunk and biotech ideas too.
Traveller is most likely the most generic sci-fi RPG, in the sense that there’s probably a place in it for whatever you think of.

but it isn’t default.

i know next to nothing about it, but I could easily be dropped in a Star Trek or Star Wars game without intensive briefing.

« Default » fantasy setting is late-medieval plus Tolkien because there was little competition for a pop-culture fantasy reference. Also, late medieval is something we know about, if only in a highly romanticized way. Fantasy references are getting more diverse now, so the initial assumption of medieval+Tolkien is getting less and less true.

sci-fi references were more diverse to start with, or should I say, there were more competition in pop-culture in sci-fi in the late 70s mostly because of TV. Star Trek and Star Wars fared the best, and so has Aliens, Blade Runner, and Lost in Space (although the latter is not really a « setting »)

Traveller has inherited more from Asimov and Philip K. Dick’s literature, but those lacked a consistent, specific setting to refer to. Asimov’ s three law of robots is probably his greatest contribution to pop-culture, but not enough to compete with Han Solo, lightsabers, Spock’s pointy ears and William Shattner’s overacting. And since the to two Star Trek/Wars are mostly incompatible, a default sci-fi could never emerge

Ulfgeir

Hero
I think there are now (but not until the mid 00's) two default settings...

Star Trek (Hard Space Opera/soft Sci-Fi)
Star Wars (Soft-Space Opera/ space fantasy)

Anything other than those two really needs explanation to players. And that explanation can either be in rules or in a licensed property's films/tele/books.
I would disagree with calling Star Trek "Hard space opera". Filling things with technobabble does not make it hard. ;)

Comparing this article to the fantasy list really makes clear that there isn't anything at all like a baseline assumption for SF RPG.

Which isn't surprising. SF itself is naturally broader and more varied than fantasy--you can at least imagine a generic high fantasy novel. or a fantasy novel that pushes back again the standard worldbuilding conventions. Nothing similar exists in SF, which is a constellation of subgenres, And, if focus on a technological conceit is common, there is no "typical" choice as to what that conceit is, nor how advanced or different it is from our present reality.

And within the broader culture the world building assumptions of popular stuff vary all over the place. The technology and material culture of the setting for Star Wars is unlike Close Encounters is unlike Star Trek is unlike 2001 is unlike Alien is unlike Bladerunner is unlike Metropolis and the ArchAndroid is unlike the Expanse.

Now certainly one could push back and say that fantasy is, in reality, far more complicated than the generic assumptions of DnD/LoTR, and that it is easy to point to very popular things that aren't like that. Buffy's urban fantasy horror vibe is nothing like "generic high fantasy", nor does Harry Potter share many setting/world building assumptions. But if a "default" fantasy is absurd (outside of of DnD's market share in the narrow cultural footprint of TTRPGs) a default science fiction setting is even more absurd.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
Comparing this article to the fantasy list really makes clear that there isn't anything at all like a baseline assumption for SF RPG.

Which isn't surprising. SF itself is naturally broader and more varied than fantasy--you can at least imagine a generic high fantasy novel. or a fantasy novel that pushes back again the standard worldbuilding conventions. Nothing similar exists in SF, which is a constellation of subgenres, And, if focus on a technological conceit is common, there is no "typical" choice as to what that conceit is, nor how advanced or different it is from our present reality.

And within the broader culture the world building assumptions of popular stuff vary all over the place. The technology and material culture of the setting for Star Wars is unlike Close Encounters is unlike Star Trek is unlike 2001 is unlike Alien is unlike Bladerunner is unlike Metropolis and the ArchAndroid is unlike the Expanse.

Now certainly one could push back and say that fantasy is, in reality, far more complicated than the generic assumptions of DnD/LoTR, and that it is easy to point to very popular things that aren't like that. Buffy's urban fantasy horror vibe is nothing like "generic high fantasy", nor does Harry Potter share many setting/world building assumptions. But if a "default" fantasy is absurd (outside of of DnD's market share in the narrow cultural footprint of TTRPGs) a default science fiction setting is even more absurd.
It's interesting you mention sci-fi subgenres because in some of those we can see default settings.

Cyberpunk and Post-Apocalyptic both have strong defaults.
If we think Supers, the default could (maybe) very well be the Marvel Universe now after a decade of the MCU).
If we say Space Opera, then I think most of us see Star Wars.

Perhaps the thing about Science Fiction is that there can't be a generic Sci-Fi because there never was one in the first place. It evolved through its subgenres over the last hundred years.

If the genre had its moments to evolve a true Tolkien equivalent it would have been Frank Herbert's Dune, Lucas' Star Wars or Roddenberry's Star Trek. Dune was the first hugely popular sci-fi novel that broke through the barriers that were holding sci-fi back at the time. I don't think either Star Trek/Wars would have done as well without Dune's popularity.

But for a lot of writers and game designers today, Star Wars is one of THE biggest influences on us. We wouldn't have Mass Effect or The Expanse or Babylon 5 or nearly the hundreds of imitators writing their own space opera novels over the last 4 decades.

I say we had 3 Tolkien equivalents in Sci-Fi... And the 3 are just different enough that each became it's own thing. You can definitely see Dune's influence more in Star Wars than Star Trek though.

If we were to go back a hundred years though, the grandfather of sci-fi as we see it today could be Barsoom and the John Carter of Mars series.

Traveller is most likely the most generic sci-fi RPG, in the sense that there’s probably a place in it for whatever you think of.

but it isn’t default.

i know next to nothing about it, but I could easily be dropped in a Star Trek or Star Wars game without intensive briefing.

« Default » fantasy setting is late-medieval plus Tolkien because there was little competition for a pop-culture fantasy reference. Also, late medieval is something we know about, if only in a highly romanticized way. Fantasy references are getting more diverse now, so the initial assumption of medieval+Tolkien is getting less and less true.

sci-fi references were more diverse to start with, or should I say, there were more competition in pop-culture in sci-fi in the late 70s mostly because of TV. Star Trek and Star Wars fared the best, and so has Aliens, Blade Runner, and Lost in Space (although the latter is not really a « setting »)

Traveller has inherited more from Asimov and Philip K. Dick’s literature, but those lacked a consistent, specific setting to refer to. Asimov’ s three law of robots is probably his greatest contribution to pop-culture, but not enough to compete with Han Solo, lightsabers, Spock’s pointy ears and William Shattner’s overacting. And since the to two Star Trek/Wars are mostly incompatible, a default sci-fi could never emerge
Traveller has been around for more years than the interim period between its original release in 1977 and the time of Asimov and Phillip K Dick (which is a huge span of difference in science fiction terms in itself). It has incorporated ideas from Star Wars, Star Trek and all the rest since. It is entirely able to do so because it is a generic science fiction game, and carries no more defining characteristic tropes than D&D does for fantasy and can be adaptable to any influence. Heck, it even referenced Star Wars in 1977!

It is the default science fiction RPG in exactly the same way D&D is. D&D has had just as many pop cultural before and after its release - it was never just medieval + Tolkien. It always referenced a whole plethora of fantasy authors too.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads