Worlds of Design: Is There a Default Sci-Fi Setting?

The science fiction default setting is less clear than the “Late Medieval plus some Tolkien” fantasy default, but let’s talk about it.

The science fiction default setting is less clear than the “Late Medieval plus some Tolkien” fantasy default, but let’s talk about it.

futuristic-5930957_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Months ago I discussed the fantasy default setting in "Baseline Assumptions of Fantasy RPGs.” A default may not exist at all in some of the sci-fi categories below, but I think it’s worth discussing.

The Automation Difference​

Keep in mind the big difference between fantasy and science fiction: automation. Stories are about people, not machines, even though automation is likely to be dominant in the future. We already see this happening today, with robotic explorers on Mars, and unmanned drones fighting terrestrial wars.

It’s also possible that science fiction novel and game authors spend more time describing their settings than fantasy authors do, maybe because there’s so much more deviation from a default than in fantasy. In general, there may be less emphasis on "monsters" and uncivilized "barbarians" than in fantasy worlds.

In no particular order I’ll discuss:
  • Automation
  • Transportation
  • Communication
  • Adventurers
  • Aliens
  • History & Change
  • Technology
  • Warfare & Military
  • Demography & Habitation
  • Longevity

Automation​

Let's start with automation. In sci-fi settings, automation tends to vary immensely. We can see robots as intelligent as humans, and other settings where automation has not reached the level of human intelligence. You rarely see automation dominating the military, again because stories are about people, not machines. In Frank Herbert’s universe (Dune), the Butlerian Jihad has eliminated automation where any kind of intelligence is involved.

Transportation​

Faster-than-light travel is most common; often even very small spaceships, such as shuttles and fighters, can achieve it, sometimes it takes a big ship. If there is no faster-than-light travel, then the setting is usually confined to one star system, or involves “generation ships.” Sometimes the ships have built-in drives, so they can go from anywhere to anywhere; other times they must use fixed links in some kind of natural or man-made network, whether it’s wormholes or something else.

Communication​

Most likely, communication is at light speed, or at travel speed, whichever is faster. Once in a while you get instantaneous speaking communication (as in Star Wars); but that gets hard to believe on the scale of an entire galaxy, if only for the potential interference.

Adventurers​

Are there “adventurers” at all? Maybe we should say, people who go on, or get caught up in, adventures? I don’t see a common thread for how numerous such people are.

Aliens​

There’s no default here, but most common is a human-centric universe, possibly with no aliens, possibly with aliens ignored by or subordinated to humans. We also see humans as subordinate to aliens, in some sub-genres.

History & Change​

Time frame varies from near-future to millennia from now. Rate of change is usually very slow in the latter, so that the setting can still have some familiarity to readers and players. The pace of change in the near future is inevitably quick, as we see things change so quickly in the modern day that we’d be puzzled by slow tech change in anything like our own society.

Technology​

No default here. The paranormal may be important. Much of what goes on is still familiar to contemporary people, because that helps make it easier to willingly suspend disbelief.

Warfare & Military​

This is all over the map. Conflicts are usually between worlds or groups of worlds. What’s notable is that authors are often stuck in some kind of earth-history model where ground forces are very important. Keep in mind, typical SF situations are lots of separate star systems, much like small islands. What really counts is the (space) navy, if anyone is willing to “blast planets back into the stone age.” If they are willing to do that, ground forces don’t matter/are on a suicide mission. If they’re not willing to bombard planets, then ground forces matter, but are at immense disadvantage when the enemy controls the orbital zone of the planet.

Demography & Habitation​

Terra-formed worlds or worlds naturally habitable, versus most people live in habitats to protect them from hostile environment. In the video game Elite: Dangerous, planets are just barren places to explore, space stations are where people live. Again, there’s no default.

Longevity​

I’ve always found it odd that Elves, with vast lifespans, are as willing to risk their long future in potentially lethal adventures as they seem to be in fantasy games. If the technology of the science fiction setting provides long life or even immortality, how does that affect adventuring?

For further reading, see Atomic Rockets. It’s a website describing various SF topics, often baring the fundamentals of what reality might demand. Such as why interstellar trade is likely to be very sparse or non-existent.

Your Turn: Have you devised a campaign setting for science fiction role-playing?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio
But, Traveller hardly invented that model. That's called, well, fiction. A group of protagonists go around and have encounters describes fiction. As in, nearly all fiction. By that token, Ocean's 11 is the model of Science Fiction and Fantasy.
I didn’t say Traveller invented the model. However, it was the first RPG to establish what the default science fiction model was in the hobby.
pG to
Umm, nope. Well, maybe tropes, but, who cares about tropes. Those tropes exist in all sort of fiction. What differentiates Star Trek, Star Wars and Doctor Who is theme. That's why Star Wars is probably closer, thematically, to fantasy than SF. Standard Hero's Journey stuff. Whereas Trek and Doctor Who actually make social commentary, which, at it's heart, is what SF is all about.

Your model of Traveller is simply fantasy written into a SF trope setting. It's not SF at all. Space ships and robots don't make SF. Again, I point to Flowers for Algernon, Quest for Fire and 1984 for examples of SF that contains virtually none of the tropes you talk about.

There's a reason that SF doesn't really have a single, big, iconic work. SF isn't about the tropes. The tropes don't matter. It's the themes that make a story an SF story. Which, frankly, don't translate well into an RPG.
To be blunt, this is all just wooly thinking waffle.

It’s not my model. It is the model of science fiction utilized through all the sources mentioned - Star Trek, Star Wars, Doctor Who, Serenity, etc are all different but all carry the same underlying tropes of travelling around diverse settings in a spacecraft of one sort or another. If you don’t care about tropes in genres, then it makes the entire conversation meaningless.

As far as I am aware, nobody has tried to adapt Algernon, Quest for Fire or 1984 to science fiction gaming, but again, if we are going to pull names out of a hat, then Harry Potter, Conan, Alice in Wonderland, the Wizard of Oz, Gilgamesh, Wuxia, Howl’s Moving Castle and Amber are all far removed from Tolkien’s default fantasy model too. Tolkien’s work isn’t a single unifying work of fantasy that all others follow - heck, even D&D doesn’t follow it that much. You seem happy to rally all of fantasy to one single work, yet cannot rationalize the same for a narrower genre - Star Trek, Star Wars and Doctor Who are all as recognizably iconic as Tolkien is.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Godzilla- and his antecedents and homages- would like a word.

Yeah, it’s out there as a pretty divergent branch, but the “kaijuverse“ is clearly a genre of scifi, and a pretty big and famous one. (Pun intended.)
Is the Kaijuverse sci-fi though? Godzilla has his nuclear origins, but in the end she’s a dragon. Kong is a lost world ancient god. Does that mean that the Lost World ‘Journey to the Center of the Earth’ and the ERBs Pellucidar series are also sci-fi due to featuring dinosaurs?

How is giant monsters wrecking cities not fantasy?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Is the Kaijuverse sci-fi though? Godzilla has his nuclear origins, but in the end she’s a dragon. Kong is a lost world ancient god. Does that mean that the Lost World ‘Journey to the Center of the Earth’ and the ERBs Pellucidar series are also sci-fi due to featuring dinosaurs?

How is giant monsters wrecking cities not fantasy?
It’s at least as Sci-fi as Star Wars. If you want to call SW science-fantasy- as some do- I’m OK with that for Kaiju.

But we have sci-Fi elements such as:

1) technology far in advance of our own, including interplanetary travel, weapons, bioengineering, giant robots

2) sentient aliens,

3) holding a mirror up to current day society as a teaching/introspective moment.

Re: gods

Other big sci-Fi franchises also had beings mistake worshipped as gods. See Star Trek ans Stargate.

Last edited:

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
And Frankenstein is thinly veiled criticism of British situation of colonizing Ireland iirc. Philip K Dick said he liked sci-fi because it played the "divine fool" that said things in ways that could not be said otherwise. Which I always thought that the time of past, legends, switched to the future, because of historical work locked out the time of legends, or fantasy. A lot of fantasy, like D&D, depends on folklore, which sci-fi lacks.

Dire Bare

Legend
Using games that explicitly call out Traveller as their most significant source of inspiration in their forewords to say Traveller is just one science fiction game out of many is a little rich.
Except that's not what we're talking about.

We're not talking about which sci-fi games or settings are significant or influential. We're talking about whether there is an over-arching "default" sci-fi setting. Some claim Traveller is that setting, or represents it very closely. Others disagree (including me).

If you asked me to list important, significant, and influential sci-fi games . . . Traveller would definitely be on that list! But it's setting and rules do not represent a "default" sci-fi setting, because there isn't one for the sci-fi genre (IMO).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Except that's not what we're talking about.

We're not talking about which sci-fi games or settings are significant or influential. We're talking about whether there is an over-arching "default" sci-fi setting. Some claim Traveller is that setting, or represents it very closely. Others disagree (including me).

If you asked me to list important, significant, and influential sci-fi games . . . Traveller would definitely be on that list! But it's setting and rules do not represent a "default" sci-fi setting, because there isn't one for the sci-fi genre (IMO).
Um isnt the default setting Space? Or more a Starship travelling through Space. Trippyhippy’s argument wasnt that Traveller is the default but rather that a Starship in space travelling between planets is a default - kinda

Dire Bare

Legend
Um isnt the default setting Space? Or more a Starship travelling through Space. Trippyhippy’s argument wasnt that Traveller is the default but rather that a Starship in space travelling between planets is a default - kinda
Huh? Is the default of sci-fi "space travel"? Or even some sort of FTL (faster-than-light) space travel? That's certainly a pretty common element, but I'd hardly call that a setting.

I'm not referring to any arguments/points @TrippyHippy made upthread, didn't respond to or mention them, but rather the OP, the topic of this thread.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
In a nutshell, they claim (and I agree) that science fiction began with Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. Check it out.
That was he argument put by British author Brian Aldiss in his History of Science Fiction.
However there are older stories as far back as the second century AD that includes journeys to an inhabited moon.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads