Worlds of Design: Is There a Default Sci-Fi Setting?

The science fiction default setting is less clear than the “Late Medieval plus some Tolkien”...

The science fiction default setting is less clear than the “Late Medieval plus some Tolkien” fantasy default, but let’s talk about it.

futuristic-5930957_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Months ago I discussed the fantasy default setting in "Baseline Assumptions of Fantasy RPGs.” A default may not exist at all in some of the sci-fi categories below, but I think it’s worth discussing.

The Automation Difference​

Keep in mind the big difference between fantasy and science fiction: automation. Stories are about people, not machines, even though automation is likely to be dominant in the future. We already see this happening today, with robotic explorers on Mars, and unmanned drones fighting terrestrial wars.

It’s also possible that science fiction novel and game authors spend more time describing their settings than fantasy authors do, maybe because there’s so much more deviation from a default than in fantasy. In general, there may be less emphasis on "monsters" and uncivilized "barbarians" than in fantasy worlds.

In no particular order I’ll discuss:
  • Automation
  • Transportation
  • Communication
  • Adventurers
  • Aliens
  • History & Change
  • Technology
  • Warfare & Military
  • Demography & Habitation
  • Longevity

Automation​

Let's start with automation. In sci-fi settings, automation tends to vary immensely. We can see robots as intelligent as humans, and other settings where automation has not reached the level of human intelligence. You rarely see automation dominating the military, again because stories are about people, not machines. In Frank Herbert’s universe (Dune), the Butlerian Jihad has eliminated automation where any kind of intelligence is involved.

Transportation​

Faster-than-light travel is most common; often even very small spaceships, such as shuttles and fighters, can achieve it, sometimes it takes a big ship. If there is no faster-than-light travel, then the setting is usually confined to one star system, or involves “generation ships.” Sometimes the ships have built-in drives, so they can go from anywhere to anywhere; other times they must use fixed links in some kind of natural or man-made network, whether it’s wormholes or something else.

Communication​

Most likely, communication is at light speed, or at travel speed, whichever is faster. Once in a while you get instantaneous speaking communication (as in Star Wars); but that gets hard to believe on the scale of an entire galaxy, if only for the potential interference.

Adventurers​

Are there “adventurers” at all? Maybe we should say, people who go on, or get caught up in, adventures? I don’t see a common thread for how numerous such people are.

Aliens​

There’s no default here, but most common is a human-centric universe, possibly with no aliens, possibly with aliens ignored by or subordinated to humans. We also see humans as subordinate to aliens, in some sub-genres.

History & Change​

Time frame varies from near-future to millennia from now. Rate of change is usually very slow in the latter, so that the setting can still have some familiarity to readers and players. The pace of change in the near future is inevitably quick, as we see things change so quickly in the modern day that we’d be puzzled by slow tech change in anything like our own society.

Technology​

No default here. The paranormal may be important. Much of what goes on is still familiar to contemporary people, because that helps make it easier to willingly suspend disbelief.

Warfare & Military​

This is all over the map. Conflicts are usually between worlds or groups of worlds. What’s notable is that authors are often stuck in some kind of earth-history model where ground forces are very important. Keep in mind, typical SF situations are lots of separate star systems, much like small islands. What really counts is the (space) navy, if anyone is willing to “blast planets back into the stone age.” If they are willing to do that, ground forces don’t matter/are on a suicide mission. If they’re not willing to bombard planets, then ground forces matter, but are at immense disadvantage when the enemy controls the orbital zone of the planet.

Demography & Habitation​

Terra-formed worlds or worlds naturally habitable, versus most people live in habitats to protect them from hostile environment. In the video game Elite: Dangerous, planets are just barren places to explore, space stations are where people live. Again, there’s no default.

Longevity​

I’ve always found it odd that Elves, with vast lifespans, are as willing to risk their long future in potentially lethal adventures as they seem to be in fantasy games. If the technology of the science fiction setting provides long life or even immortality, how does that affect adventuring?

For further reading, see Atomic Rockets. It’s a website describing various SF topics, often baring the fundamentals of what reality might demand. Such as why interstellar trade is likely to be very sparse or non-existent.

Your Turn: Have you devised a campaign setting for science fiction role-playing?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
One can have cross-overs like spaceships in fantasy without it destroying the genre. In a scientific analysis, if you have 100 samples, and one is somehow an outlier, it is common to just discard that result, as it is within an acceptable margin of error.

Emerikol

Adventurer
One can have cross-overs like spaceships in fantasy without it destroying the genre. In a scientific analysis, if you have 100 samples, and one is somehow an outlier, it is common to just discard that result, as it is within an acceptable margin of error.
I would say you can have practically anything but if a popular choice it takes on it's own identity as a genre all it's own.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I would say you can have practically anything but if a popular choice it takes on it's own identity as a genre all it's own.
If one had 100 samples, and 50 came back same as the outlier, then its more than just an outlier. So yes, sword and blaster is sort of its own genre, and that is the space fantasy of Star Wars. I would still say that the hallmarks of SF are spacecraft or some other tech and aliens, which most post apocalypse games have as well. Given that the fantasy of surviving a nuclear war would be like mad max, and not Threads, which would not be as fun an RPG setting.

Hussar

Legend
Nope. You can’t spin your way out of it either. Your comments are here for all to see, you’ve been censured by a moderator and made a fool of yourself in the process. Have a better one, next time.
Sorry, no red ink there bud. No censure. Just a friendly poke to tell me to tone it down. Which I most certainly will take to heart.

But, when you agree with someone who says exactly, virtually word for word, the same thing that I said, and then disagree with me, that doesn't exactly make for a winning argument.

Anyway, back to the actual discussion.

Let's see if I can do this without annoying people. Would be a nice change.

I don't think it's terribly controversial to say that D&D is the iconic fantasy RPG. Heck, for a lot of people it's the only RPG, but, even among us gamers, D&D is the iconic fantasy RPG. Anyone want to take a swing at that? Can I say that without a great deal of argument? Now, if we presume that to be true, that D&D is the iconic fantasy RPG, again, I don't think it's controversial to say that no single work of fantasy has as much impact on D&D as Tolkien. Whether it's the playable races, the iconic monsters (remember orcs actually had White hand clans and they still worship a one eyed god), or whatnot, Tolkien looms pretty large over the game and is largely inescapable. That's not to say that there aren't other influences. There are. There's been lots of ink spilt talking about them. But, again, no single writer looms larger in the D&D zeitgeist than Tolkien.

SF RPG's OTOH, don't have the same figure. Sure, we can talk about the impact of Star Wars or Star Trek on Traveller, presuming that Traveller is the iconic SF RPG. Star Wars I'm not so sure, considering Traveller came out in 1977, only a year after Star Wars was released. And, it's not like you have Storm Troopers or X-Wings in Traveller. And, thematically, Star Wars doesn't really fit since Traveller is all about exploration and discovery, rather than opposing an evil empire. Star Trek might be a better source, but, again, it doesn't really fit. Star Trek, even TOS, was about a flying city - the ship was huge compared to the typical Traveller ship. And, it's not like Traveller really fits with the whole Federation thing, nor Star Fleet. Traveller characters aren't necessarily part of any larger organization with rank structures and whatnot. Better influences might be things like the Lensman series, or even Buck Rogers or some of the earlier Heinlein stuff.

And, really, can we talk about iconic SF without Asimov? But, Foundation bears little resemblance to Traveller and AFAIK, there are no Three Laws of Robotics in Traveller. Granted, Traveller incorporates elements from all sorts of SF works and that's fantastic, but, we're talking about a default setting. An iconic setting so ingrained into the genre that it's easy to envision.

Heck, how can we really talk about iconic SF without going back to the grandaddies of the two biggest streams of thought in SF - Wells and Verne. Wellsian SF with it's cautionary tales of technology and science where the loss of humanity comes with the rise of technology (see the Morlocks of the Time Machine or the Martians of War of the Worlds) isn't really represented in Traveller which is far more Vernian in approach. Technology and science are things to be celebrated. They let us travel around do these wonderful things, and learn and explore. It's a very positive take on the genre.

So, no, I don't see a "default" setting in SF. I don't see it like I see one in fantasy because there is no single author that stands so large in SF as Tolkien does in fantasy. SF RPG's will incorporate all sorts of elements from SF, of course. But, a given SF RPG will tend to incorporate a selection of genre works that fit with the general theme and tone of that particular SF RPG. So something like Sufficiently Advanced incorporates Trans-humanist elements. The latest version of the Star Trek game looks almost exclusively at Star Trek and doesn't really incorporate anything else. So on and so forth.

Two fantasy RPG's, unless they are deliberately working against trope will tend to share a very large number of fantasy tropes. Two SF RPG's will only share similar tropes if they are creating similar RPG's - exploration style like Traveller, or much more story telling style like the Doctor Who RPG.

Sorry, no red ink there bud. No censure. Just a friendly poke to tell me to tone it down. Which I most certainly will take to heart.

But, when you agree with someone who says exactly, virtually word for word, the same thing that I said, and then disagree with me, that doesn't exactly make for a winning argument.

Anyway, back to the actual discussion.

Let's see if I can do this without annoying people. Would be a nice change.

I don't think it's terribly controversial to say that D&D is the iconic fantasy RPG. Heck, for a lot of people it's the only RPG, but, even among us gamers, D&D is the iconic fantasy RPG. Anyone want to take a swing at that? Can I say that without a great deal of argument? Now, if we presume that to be true, that D&D is the iconic fantasy RPG, again, I don't think it's controversial to say that no single work of fantasy has as much impact on D&D as Tolkien. Whether it's the playable races, the iconic monsters (remember orcs actually had White hand clans and they still worship a one eyed god), or whatnot, Tolkien looms pretty large over the game and is largely inescapable. That's not to say that there aren't other influences. There are. There's been lots of ink spilt talking about them. But, again, no single writer looms larger in the D&D zeitgeist than Tolkien.

SF RPG's OTOH, don't have the same figure. Sure, we can talk about the impact of Star Wars or Star Trek on Traveller, presuming that Traveller is the iconic SF RPG. Star Wars I'm not so sure, considering Traveller came out in 1977, only a year after Star Wars was released. And, it's not like you have Storm Troopers or X-Wings in Traveller. And, thematically, Star Wars doesn't really fit since Traveller is all about exploration and discovery, rather than opposing an evil empire. Star Trek might be a better source, but, again, it doesn't really fit. Star Trek, even TOS, was about a flying city - the ship was huge compared to the typical Traveller ship. And, it's not like Traveller really fits with the whole Federation thing, nor Star Fleet. Traveller characters aren't necessarily part of any larger organization with rank structures and whatnot. Better influences might be things like the Lensman series, or even Buck Rogers or some of the earlier Heinlein stuff.

And, really, can we talk about iconic SF without Asimov? But, Foundation bears little resemblance to Traveller and AFAIK, there are no Three Laws of Robotics in Traveller. Granted, Traveller incorporates elements from all sorts of SF works and that's fantastic, but, we're talking about a default setting. An iconic setting so ingrained into the genre that it's easy to envision.

Heck, how can we really talk about iconic SF without going back to the grandaddies of the two biggest streams of thought in SF - Wells and Verne. Wellsian SF with it's cautionary tales of technology and science where the loss of humanity comes with the rise of technology (see the Morlocks of the Time Machine or the Martians of War of the Worlds) isn't really represented in Traveller which is far more Vernian in approach. Technology and science are things to be celebrated. They let us travel around do these wonderful things, and learn and explore. It's a very positive take on the genre.

So, no, I don't see a "default" setting in SF. I don't see it like I see one in fantasy because there is no single author that stands so large in SF as Tolkien does in fantasy. SF RPG's will incorporate all sorts of elements from SF, of course. But, a given SF RPG will tend to incorporate a selection of genre works that fit with the general theme and tone of that particular SF RPG. So something like Sufficiently Advanced incorporates Trans-humanist elements. The latest version of the Star Trek game looks almost exclusively at Star Trek and doesn't really incorporate anything else. So on and so forth.

Two fantasy RPG's, unless they are deliberately working against trope will tend to share a very large number of fantasy tropes. Two SF RPG's will only share similar tropes if they are creating similar RPG's - exploration style like Traveller, or much more story telling style like the Doctor Who RPG.
Having a protracted ramble, where you attempt to reinvent everything said on this thread, doesn’t make you right either. I have ‘liked’ other people's posts on the points they made, that you didn’t. Y’see, I don’t have to agree with everything others say to respect them.

You may also want to check a dictionary as to what ‘censure' means too. You were not just told to ’tone it down’. You were told that a specific comment was rude, unwelcome and objectionable. I’ve yet to see anything approaching an apology, so I have little interest in anything else you have to say, and they haven’t proven to be particularly insightful on this thread anyway - just rehashing the same stance in increasingly verbose ways.

Last edited:

John Lloyd1

Explorer
It seems to me that you are using the term "default setting" differently than I've seen it elsewhere. Usually, I've seen Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk described as the default setting for D&D with Third Imperium as the default setting for Traveller. You are invited to make up your own universe for the RPG, but they have provided this one and the adventures they have written occur there.

Do you mean something closer to "influence"? D&D is heavily influenced by Tolkien with its use of elves, dwarves, hobbits, orcs and goblins. But, it is also heavily influenced by Conan, Vance (magic), Cuthulu, ancient history and myth, etc. While Traveller was influenced by Tubb, etc.

Tolkien is certainly a big name out of all the other influences combined. A lot of these others have fallen back into relative obscurity.

Hussar

Legend
Think of it another way.

If we were to draw Venn diagrams of genre works that fit within specific parameters of settings, what would it look like. For example, if we were to draw a Venn diagram of Fantasy works where the setting is pre-industrial, vaguely European, feudal with monsters and magic of varying degrees, that would cover a LOT of the genre. That circle, while there are works outside and overlapping, would be a very big circle.

OTOH, if we were to do the same with SF, and draw a circle that is set in space, far future, impossible (by current standards) technology, that would be a big circle, without a doubt. There are a lot of genre works that fit in that space. But, it would by no means be as big compared to other circles as our Fantasy circle. There are simply too many other kinds of SF out there that are just as popular as space opera.

So, if the question is, what is the "default" SF setting, I'd have to ask for a clarification. What kind of SF are you talking about?

And, @TrippyHippy, I keep trying to move past this, but, you keep dragging it up. So, again, I told you you were 100% right. I totally agree with the post that you agree with. You completely win the argument. I 100% defer to your judgement in this. You are completely, and absolutely, without a doubt, right. Here is the point that we completely agree on on more time:

Ovinomancer said:
As for the trope/genre discussion, sci-fi has so many conflicting tropes that it's very, very challenging to pick central or shared tropes like space travel as definitional. If any tropes are definitional, they are the "what if" focus of the tale, and also that some technology is altering the human condition that does not exist at the time the story is told.

Now, since you agreed with this point, I have zero idea what you're actually arguing with me about, since this is exactly what I've been saying all the way along. About the only point of disagreement might be that I would call the "what if focus" a theme and not a trope. But, at the end of the day, I'm not going to die on the hill of that level of pedantry.

And, @TrippyHippy, I keep trying to move past this, but, you keep dragging it up. So, again, I told you you were 100% right. I totally agree with the post that you agree with. You completely win the argument. I 100% defer to your judgement in this. You are completely, and absolutely, without a doubt, right.
Good. Now apologise.

And, for the record, that was not the point of disagreement.

S'mon

Legend
The science fiction default setting is less clear than the “Late Medieval plus some Tolkien” fantasy default, but let’s talk about it.

Months ago I discussed the fantasy default setting in "Baseline Assumptions of Fantasy RPGs.” A default may not exist at all in some of the sci-fi categories below, but I think it’s worth discussing.

The Automation Difference​

Keep in mind the big difference between fantasy and science fiction: automation. Stories are about people, not machines, even though automation is likely to be dominant in the future. We already see this happening today, with robotic explorers on Mars, and unmanned drones fighting terrestrial wars.

It’s also possible that science fiction novel and game authors spend more time describing their settings than fantasy authors do, maybe because there’s so much more deviation from a default than in fantasy. In general, there may be less emphasis on "monsters" and uncivilized "barbarians" than in fantasy worlds.

In no particular order I’ll discuss:
  • Automation
  • Transportation
  • Communication
  • Adventurers
  • Aliens
  • History & Change
  • Technology
  • Warfare & Military
  • Demography & Habitation
  • Longevity

Automation​

Let's start with automation. In sci-fi settings, automation tends to vary immensely. We can see robots as intelligent as humans, and other settings where automation has not reached the level of human intelligence. You rarely see automation dominating the military, again because stories are about people, not machines. In Frank Herbert’s universe (Dune), the Butlerian Jihad has eliminated automation where any kind of intelligence is involved.

Transportation​

Faster-than-light travel is most common; often even very small spaceships, such as shuttles and fighters, can achieve it, sometimes it takes a big ship. If there is no faster-than-light travel, then the setting is usually confined to one star system, or involves “generation ships.” Sometimes the ships have built-in drives, so they can go from anywhere to anywhere; other times they must use fixed links in some kind of natural or man-made network, whether it’s wormholes or something else.

Communication​

Most likely, communication is at light speed, or at travel speed, whichever is faster. Once in a while you get instantaneous speaking communication (as in Star Wars); but that gets hard to believe on the scale of an entire galaxy, if only for the potential interference.

Adventurers​

Are there “adventurers” at all? Maybe we should say, people who go on, or get caught up in, adventures? I don’t see a common thread for how numerous such people are.

Aliens​

There’s no default here, but most common is a human-centric universe, possibly with no aliens, possibly with aliens ignored by or subordinated to humans. We also see humans as subordinate to aliens, in some sub-genres.

History & Change​

Time frame varies from near-future to millennia from now. Rate of change is usually very slow in the latter, so that the setting can still have some familiarity to readers and players. The pace of change in the near future is inevitably quick, as we see things change so quickly in the modern day that we’d be puzzled by slow tech change in anything like our own society.

Technology​

No default here. The paranormal may be important. Much of what goes on is still familiar to contemporary people, because that helps make it easier to willingly suspend disbelief.

Warfare & Military​

This is all over the map. Conflicts are usually between worlds or groups of worlds. What’s notable is that authors are often stuck in some kind of earth-history model where ground forces are very important. Keep in mind, typical SF situations are lots of separate star systems, much like small islands. What really counts is the (space) navy, if anyone is willing to “blast planets back into the stone age.” If they are willing to do that, ground forces don’t matter/are on a suicide mission. If they’re not willing to bombard planets, then ground forces matter, but are at immense disadvantage when the enemy controls the orbital zone of the planet.

Demography & Habitation​

Terra-formed worlds or worlds naturally habitable, versus most people live in habitats to protect them from hostile environment. In the video game Elite: Dangerous, planets are just barren places to explore, space stations are where people live. Again, there’s no default.

Longevity​

I’ve always found it odd that Elves, with vast lifespans, are as willing to risk their long future in potentially lethal adventures as they seem to be in fantasy games. If the technology of the science fiction setting provides long life or even immortality, how does that affect adventuring?

For further reading, see Atomic Rockets. It’s a website describing various SF topics, often baring the fundamentals of what reality might demand. Such as why interstellar trade is likely to be very sparse or non-existent.

Your Turn: Have you devised a campaign setting for science fiction role-playing?

I think 'RPG SF' has some pretty clear space opera defaults.

Automation - intelligent robots, but little automation in view; even starship guns are often manually operated.

Transportation - flying cars, space ships are common.

Communication - traditionally no FTL communication; this seems to be changing as 1980s Star Trek brought in real time videoconferencing, and this has been followed in eg new Star Wars. It does cause plot issues enough that Traveller type no-FTL-coms remains popular.

Adventurers - uncommon but not unheard of.

Aliens - lots of widespread alien intelligent species, at least some humanlike.

History & Change - as with fantasy settings, tends to be slow.

Technology - restricted to familiar analogues. Artifical gravity that looks like real gravity.

Warfare & Military - restricted to familiar analogues, in particular naval (starship) combat; aerial (starfighter) & ground combat to a lesser extent. RPG & fiction writers may work hard to come up with reasons why ground combat is still significant.

Demography & Habitation - most people live on planets, most of which have terrain similar to Earth.

Longevity - radical life extension is not the norm.

__________________________​

These are the kind of familiar defaults from TV and film that players assume, that don't need explaining. Deviations such as in Transhumanist games do need explaining.

I think 'RPG SF' has some pretty clear space opera defaults.

Automation - intelligent robots, but little automation in view; even starship guns are often manually operated.

Transportation - flying cars, space ships are common.

Communication - traditionally no FTL communication; this seems to be changing as 1980s Star Trek brought in real time videoconferencing, and this has been followed in eg new Star Wars. It does cause plot issues enough that Traveller type no-FTL-coms remains popular.

Adventurers - uncommon but not unheard of.

Aliens - lots of widespread alien intelligent species, at least some humanlike.

History & Change - as with fantasy settings, tends to be slow.

Technology - restricted to familiar analogues. Artifical gravity that looks like real gravity.

Warfare & Military - restricted to familiar analogues, in particular naval (starship) combat; aerial (starfighter) & ground combat to a lesser extent. RPG & fiction writers may work hard to come up with reasons why ground combat is still significant.

Demography & Habitation - most people live on planets, most of which have terrain similar to Earth.

Longevity - radical life extension is not the norm.

__________________________​

These are the kind of familiar defaults from TV and film that players assume, that don't need explaining. Deviations such as in Transhumanist games do need explaining.
Yep.

And for the point of an example, Paizo found it easy enough to establish the Starfinder game as a science fiction counterpoint to Pathfinder for fantasy.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads