Worlds of Design: Is There a Default Sci-Fi Setting?

The science fiction default setting is less clear than the “Late Medieval plus some Tolkien” fantasy default, but let’s talk about it.

The science fiction default setting is less clear than the “Late Medieval plus some Tolkien” fantasy default, but let’s talk about it.

futuristic-5930957_1280.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Months ago I discussed the fantasy default setting in "Baseline Assumptions of Fantasy RPGs.” A default may not exist at all in some of the sci-fi categories below, but I think it’s worth discussing.

The Automation Difference​

Keep in mind the big difference between fantasy and science fiction: automation. Stories are about people, not machines, even though automation is likely to be dominant in the future. We already see this happening today, with robotic explorers on Mars, and unmanned drones fighting terrestrial wars.

It’s also possible that science fiction novel and game authors spend more time describing their settings than fantasy authors do, maybe because there’s so much more deviation from a default than in fantasy. In general, there may be less emphasis on "monsters" and uncivilized "barbarians" than in fantasy worlds.

In no particular order I’ll discuss:
  • Automation
  • Transportation
  • Communication
  • Adventurers
  • Aliens
  • History & Change
  • Technology
  • Warfare & Military
  • Demography & Habitation
  • Longevity

Automation​

Let's start with automation. In sci-fi settings, automation tends to vary immensely. We can see robots as intelligent as humans, and other settings where automation has not reached the level of human intelligence. You rarely see automation dominating the military, again because stories are about people, not machines. In Frank Herbert’s universe (Dune), the Butlerian Jihad has eliminated automation where any kind of intelligence is involved.

Transportation​

Faster-than-light travel is most common; often even very small spaceships, such as shuttles and fighters, can achieve it, sometimes it takes a big ship. If there is no faster-than-light travel, then the setting is usually confined to one star system, or involves “generation ships.” Sometimes the ships have built-in drives, so they can go from anywhere to anywhere; other times they must use fixed links in some kind of natural or man-made network, whether it’s wormholes or something else.

Communication​

Most likely, communication is at light speed, or at travel speed, whichever is faster. Once in a while you get instantaneous speaking communication (as in Star Wars); but that gets hard to believe on the scale of an entire galaxy, if only for the potential interference.

Adventurers​

Are there “adventurers” at all? Maybe we should say, people who go on, or get caught up in, adventures? I don’t see a common thread for how numerous such people are.

Aliens​

There’s no default here, but most common is a human-centric universe, possibly with no aliens, possibly with aliens ignored by or subordinated to humans. We also see humans as subordinate to aliens, in some sub-genres.

History & Change​

Time frame varies from near-future to millennia from now. Rate of change is usually very slow in the latter, so that the setting can still have some familiarity to readers and players. The pace of change in the near future is inevitably quick, as we see things change so quickly in the modern day that we’d be puzzled by slow tech change in anything like our own society.

Technology​

No default here. The paranormal may be important. Much of what goes on is still familiar to contemporary people, because that helps make it easier to willingly suspend disbelief.

Warfare & Military​

This is all over the map. Conflicts are usually between worlds or groups of worlds. What’s notable is that authors are often stuck in some kind of earth-history model where ground forces are very important. Keep in mind, typical SF situations are lots of separate star systems, much like small islands. What really counts is the (space) navy, if anyone is willing to “blast planets back into the stone age.” If they are willing to do that, ground forces don’t matter/are on a suicide mission. If they’re not willing to bombard planets, then ground forces matter, but are at immense disadvantage when the enemy controls the orbital zone of the planet.

Demography & Habitation​

Terra-formed worlds or worlds naturally habitable, versus most people live in habitats to protect them from hostile environment. In the video game Elite: Dangerous, planets are just barren places to explore, space stations are where people live. Again, there’s no default.

Longevity​

I’ve always found it odd that Elves, with vast lifespans, are as willing to risk their long future in potentially lethal adventures as they seem to be in fantasy games. If the technology of the science fiction setting provides long life or even immortality, how does that affect adventuring?

For further reading, see Atomic Rockets. It’s a website describing various SF topics, often baring the fundamentals of what reality might demand. Such as why interstellar trade is likely to be very sparse or non-existent.

Your Turn: Have you devised a campaign setting for science fiction role-playing?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Hey, bringing logic and reason and real world facts into the argument isn't fair. We're talking about make believe in RPG's... not other fictional real world stuff. ;)

I do have a question for the group.

What do we mean by default as far as RPG's are concerned? It seems that the assumption that D&D is the default fantasy game is the default because it's the fantasy rpg that most people flock to because it's the one the majority of people flock too even though it has no real world equivalence beyond its own settings novels or comic books.

So what does default mean?

IMO, the issue is even simpler ... yet more complicated.

D&D is not the default fantasy TTRPG. D&D is the default TTRPG, period. Which can complicate things.

To be explicit- for almost anyone who does not play TTRPGs, if you ask them about it, they will understand TTRPGs as being, well, D&D. That's what a TTRPG is to them.

And even within the universe of those who play TTRPGs, the majority of people who play, right now, today, are playing D&D. And if you throw in all the editions of D&D, and all the editions of Pathfinder, and all the clones of D&D, and all the games that provide a "D&D" experience using an alternate rule system, we are starting to get close to a very strong majority of TTRPGs.

And if you add in the fact that almost all players that are currently playing TTRPGs, are familiar with D&D and likely have played it ... well throw all of that into a blender, and eventually you get to the point where it is not sufficient to call D&D the default fantasy setting, but the default setting for a TTRPG.

In a weird way, Warcraft FRPG, CoC, Traveler, the new Alien, BiTD, Star Trek Adventures, whatever ... they all have in common that they are not D&D (or a D&D equivalent).

In a certain way, I think that the original question is misleading; there is no default sci-fi (Star Wars, Star Trek, Alien, Battletech, Paranoia, Ghostbusters are all sci-fi, yet all different TTRPGs to use an easy example, just as early Gamma World and Star Frontiers were both sci-fi, yet different), but everything ends up measured against the 800lb gorilla.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I agree that DnD is the standard for ttrpg's in general, and comparing it to other games is not always relevant. In part of the question about SF rpg's, I would say the most popular is Stars Without Number, followed by FFG Star Wars, Star Finder is still up there, but its popularity is falling. Limited bias as well as I am mostly a Traveller GM/player. So "default" if the metric is most played would probably be SWN; however, I also sort of feel that the variety of sfrpg's is a feature, and not a bug.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
however, I also sort of feel that the variety of sfrpg's is a feature, and not a bug.

Completely agree on that one.

If anything, the utter domination of D&D in the overall TTRPG-space has made it harder for any other fantasy TTRPGs to gain real traction (depending, I guess, on how you define CoC).

Science fiction is wide open; the main way I look at the various systems is whether they are based on some other IP (Star Wars, Star Trek) or whether they are not (SWN, Gamma World).

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
IMO, the issue is even simpler ... yet more complicated.

D&D is not the default fantasy TTRPG. D&D is the default TTRPG, period. Which can complicate things.
QFT.

Over the last 40 years I always had problems getting my players to try games other than D&D. When they did, they usually wanted to go back to D&D after 2-3 games. It is only recently that I have found group that refuses to play D&D.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
QFT.

Over the last 40 years I always had problems getting my players to try games other than D&D. When they did, they usually wanted to go back to D&D after 2-3 games. It is only recently that I have found group that refuses to play D&D.
Yep. Can say this has happened to me too. It's one of the few reasons why I despise D&D 5e so much.

In a hobby and industry of creativity, imagination, and near infinite potential of expression for one game to be played by over 50% of the entire player base and the many hundreds of other options are left in the dust shows just how little imagination is really being exercised. It also demonstrates the tribalistic nature of human neurology and psychology. The amount of D&D gamers who will only play D&D is unfortunately more common than it probably should be when we take into consideration the grander potential of human expression and creative power not being exercised, which sci-fi requires more of IMHO.

I think it's interesting that there has never been a sci-fi rpg equivalent to D&D. But maybe part of it is sci-fi is really about "What If" and puts a greater emphasis on imagination, sense of wonder and suspension of belief. We don't know, for sure, what the future holds. Heck, there is still so much of our own world we don't really know.

I didn't start with D&D as my first rpg. My first rpgs were Battletech, WEG Star Wars, Shadowrun, and Heroes Unlimited. My first pure fantasy rpg was Earthdawn. I started with sci-fi and supers rpgs.

I think how we get introduced into the hobby leaves a huge impression on us. I am thankful I didn't start with D&D.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
I didn't start with D&D as my first rpg. My first rpgs were Battletech, WEG Star Wars, Shadowrun, and Heroes Unlimited. My first pure fantasy rpg was Earthdawn. I started with sci-fi and supers rpgs.

I think how we get introduced into the hobby leaves a huge impression on us. I am thankful I didn't start with D&D.
Agreed. Not starting with D&D has a huge impact. I'm envious! :D

I agree that DnD is the standard for ttrpg's in general, and comparing it to other games is not always relevant. In part of the question about SF rpg's, I would say the most popular is Stars Without Number, followed by FFG Star Wars, Star Finder is still up there, but its popularity is falling. Limited bias as well as I am mostly a Traveller GM/player. So "default" if the metric is most played would probably be SWN; however, I also sort of feel that the variety of sfrpg's is a feature, and not a bug.
This. D&D overshadows the entire hobby. If we look at the Roll 20 statistics back from 2019 and the pre-COVID days D&D 5e on its own made up approximately half of all games.
1619399822174.png

Traveller by contrast? 0.09% It's an also-ran.

And if you asked me off the top of my head to name an SF RPG setting I'd start with Shadowrun, 40k, Star Wars, and possibly Cyberpunk and Stars Without Number. I'd probably get to Gamma World before I remembered Traveller. Traveller might have been a default setting in the 70s - but these days it is very very niche, and mostly of interest to the old and historians. It's hard to be a "default setting" if the majority of people these days don't even know you exist.

And count me as someone else who started with something other than D&D - WFRP and GURPS in my case.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Traveller is a great game, but it lacks identity in the current market. Unless someone told you it's great, you aren't buying in as opposed to say, Stars without Number, or whatever. Plus the genre divisions in Sci Fi are a little more obvious that Fantasy - you have, just to pick some, Post Apoc, Cyberpunk, Space Opera, and gritty hard sci fi - none of which are likely to be adequately handled by a single rules set. My Sci FI default is SwoN, followed by Alien, and Scum and Villainy. Three very different rules sets for three very different desired sci fi gaming experiences.

This. D&D overshadows the entire hobby. If we look at the Roll 20 statistics back from 2019 and the pre-COVID days D&D 5e on its own made up approximately half of all games.
Whilst this is undoubtedly true, it's worth noting that particularly pre-pandemic, there was little/no reason to use Roll20 unless going for a fairly crunch-heavy game, or one where you're using a particularly large number of handouts, and Roll20's support for certain systems wasn't great (and still isn't), so whilst I'm sure D&D would be #1 by a huge margin, I'd be very skeptical about any games listed after that being even close to in the correct order. Not that you're saying they are, of course. But you mention Traveller is on 0.09%, and I doubt that is actually reflective of the percentage of gamers using it for SF games.

Also re: sci-fi RPGs, I wouldn't put Shadowrun, 40K, or Star Wars down as those are all solidly space-fantasy, particularly SR and 40K (you could potentially argue the Force as weird science not that much more bizarre than some forms of FTL and so on, but not SR's magic, which is explicitly non-scientific, nor 40K's Chaos/Warp).

As for a default sci-fi setting I don't think there is one, but I think we creep closer to one every year, as more and more sci-fi stuff appears on TV and in games and certain commonalities emerge that weren't present when it was more commonly a literary or movie genre. Specifically, I'd say a "default" sci-fi setting is gradually emerging which is basically "cyberpunk with spaceships", or perhaps you could say cyberpunk elements are gradually colonising most other SF (this extends back to the '90s to some extent - there are a couple of Deep Space 9 episodes which are pretty cyberpunk, bizarrely enough - it's much more common now though).

Also re: sci-fi RPGs, I wouldn't put Shadowrun, 40K, or Star Wars down as those are all solidly space-fantasy, particularly SR and 40K (you could potentially argue the Force as weird science not that much more bizarre than some forms of FTL and so on, but not SR's magic, which is explicitly non-scientific, nor 40K's Chaos/Warp).
When you've taken out Star Wars, Star Trek (how many gods are there in TOS?), and a few others I'd say you've beaten SF so far back that it's barely a meaningful genre.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads