• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worlds of Design: What Defines a RPG?

It’s a daunting task to try to define and characterize a segment as large and diverse as tabletop role-playing games in just a few words. But here goes.

It’s a daunting task to try to define and characterize a segment as large and diverse as tabletop role-playing games in just a few words. But here goes.

rpg.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” Helen Keller​

Some people won’t be happy with my definitions--which is my opinion, drawn from experience. But the purpose of such exercises is (aside from encouraging people to think) to narrow down something so that we can talk about it intelligibly.

Defining the Undefinable​

There are two ways to define something: 1) specific (as in a dictionary), but this usually leads to dispute even when what’s being defined is a single word; or 2) describe typical characteristics, even if it’s possible that some will not have all of those characteristics. I’m trying the latter, being general enough to think all the characteristics are necessary.

What makes an RPG a tabletop hobby RPG? An RPG, as we talk about them in the hobby, is a human-opposed co-operative game. There are four characteristics:
  • progressive improvement,
  • co-operation, and
  • GMed opposed adventure.
Simple enough, but in defining a concept it’s sometimes easier to explain what it isn’t.

What RPGs Are Not

Role-playing games, as defined by the last word, are games and therefore require opposition. An RPG is not a puzzle (with a correct solution); an RPG is not a means for the GM to tell a story (reducing player agency immensely); an RPG is not a storytelling mechanism, whether for players to tell each other stories, or for the GM to tell a story. These things all exist, but to include them in the definition goes far beyond the realm of game. A game is a form of play, but most forms of play are not games.

Not Just Role-Playing​

Technically, a role-playing game may be any game where you play a role – which is a LOT of games, tabletop and (especially) video. It even includes some business simulations. I’m more interested in what makes a game a hobby RPG, a game played frequently by hobby game players. So I’ll discuss role-playing in terms of avatars.

What’s a “Pure” or “Real” Avatar?

• A single thing/entity that represents the individual player, most commonly a humanoid
  • All the player’s actions in the game emanate from the avatar
  • The “pure” avatar is fully subject to risk: if it dies/is destroyed, the player loses (at least temporarily)
An avatar could be a spaceship, a tank (World of Tanks) or other vehicle, even a pizza-shape (Pac-Man). In video games, the avatar typically respawns. In hobby RPGs, the avatar is a creature, usually human or humanoid. (For more detail, read "The most important design aspect of hobby RPGs is the Pure Avatar".)

Avatars sometimes have a separate developer-provided “history” and personality (Mario, Sonic). Sometimes an avatar is a blank slate so that the player can more easily infuse his/her own personality or fictional character background into the avatar.

In many games, a "kind-of-avatar" is not the source of all action, nor does the game end if the avatar is killed. That’s not an RPG.

Progressive Improvement

This can happen in many kinds of games. But in what we call RPGs, it’s some variety of:
  • Gaining experience to rise in levels, and the levels give more capability (though the term “level” might not be used)
  • Gaining skills/feats/features (which give more capability)
  • Collecting magic or technological items (which provide extra options, defense, offense, etc.)
  • Acquiring money/treasure (which can be used for lots of things)
  • No doubt there are some RPGs with other ways to improve, for example via social standing if that is formally tracked
Does it need levels? No, but that's typically (conveniently) how increase in capability “without employing the loot I've got” is expressed.

So a game where the hero(es) don’t progress in capability – or only a little – might be an interesting game, but it’s not an RPG. Many of you can think of board, card, or video games of this kind. Well-known heroes in novel series rarely progress significantly in capability, for example James Bond.

You can have avatars without progression, you can have roles without “pure” avatars, you can have progression without avatars, but those are not what we categorize as RPGs.

Co-operation, Adventure, and a Gamemaster That Controls the Opposition/Enables Adventure

• Yes, opposition. It’s not a game (I use the traditional sense) without opposition, though it might be a puzzle or a parallel competition
  • I don’t see how there can be significant opposition without a GM/referee; unless you go to computer programming
  • If there’s no co-operation, if it’s player vs player, it’s more or less a board/card game in concept
I include Adventure, because the stories coming out of the original RPGs would be called adventures. In the 21st century we do have novels that don’t seem to have any particular point other than describing everyday life, and I think that’s leaked over into so-called RPGs as well. Whether adventure is necessary is a debatable point (surprise), though I’m certainly not interested in RPGs without Adventure.

The GM also allows the players to try to do “anything” that could be done in the current situation. Some regard this freedom-of-action (extreme player agency) as the defining aspect of RPGs, and it’s certainly vital; but think of a story RPG where the linear plot (typical of stories) forces players to do just what the story calls for. That’s not freedom of action. Yet story form may be the most common form of tabletop RPG.

And consider games like Minecraft. You can try to do almost anything there, too, but it's not an RPG.

Where does this leave computer RPGs? There’s not exactly a GM, though the computer tries to be. There’s certainly not as much freedom of action as with a human GM . . . But my goal was to define hobby tabletop RPGs.

Your Turn: What’s your definition of a role-playing game?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
See, that's exactly what this thread is like. I wasn't naming names or pointing fingers in an effort to keep things on a even keel and facilitate conversation, but you want to go the other direction. So, yeah, I'm not too concerned about your depreciations there @Ovinomancer, no offense. I think @lewpuls has every reason to be a little cranky and the armchair wankery in this thread. Calling out ignorant commentary when it's actually ignorant isn't gatekeeping. If people were honestly engaging with the definitional work instead of just playing two muppets on a balcony we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Some of us have seen enough of that over literally decades that its hard to engage beyond rolling our eyes at "this old naughty word again." This isn't new; the attempt to fence of whatever elements of the hobby you personally welcome and push others out has been going on since at least the 90's, and probably earlier.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
See, that's exactly what this thread is like. I wasn't naming names or pointing fingers in an effort to keep things on a even keel and facilitate conversation, but you want to go the other direction. So, yeah, I'm not too concerned about your depreciations there @Ovinomancer, no offense. I think @lewpuls has every reason to be a little cranky and the armchair wankery in this thread. Calling out ignorant commentary when it's actually ignorant isn't gatekeeping. If people were honestly engaging with the definitional work instead of just playing two muppets on a balcony we wouldn't be having this conversation.
My bad, was your post accusing unnamed others of wankery an attempt to keep the post on an even keel and to facilitate conversation? This must be one of those "theme" things I heard about, where words' meanings are opaque and misunderstood, because, to me, it's never useful to conversation to call others, unnamed or not, passive-aggressive wankers. Unless, of course, the conversation you wish to facilitate it excluding specific points of view? If only there were a term for that....

And, "people" have very clearly engage the definitional work in the OP. I certainly have, and not in a rancorous way -- I pointed out where I disagreed and how some of the underpinning assumptions are so broad as to make that bullet non-definitional at all. If "advancement" is as broad as @lewpuls stated, then it's not useful because it encompasses so much that it's almost always true. That's not useful to definition, nor is it specific. It also rules out games like My Life With Master, which does escape any form of advancement in the way defined, but is, clearly, an RPG.

And as for ignorant commentary, I still haven't seen any particulars on what, exactly, is supposed to be ignorant (rather than, you now, disagreement). It's almost as if the charge is meant to shut down discussion on topics people don't want examined. I've seen a lot of good comments in this thread, many of which disagree with the OP, so, then, which are ignorant?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'm going to shrug and leave this be. I have no particular stakes here, the thread is what it is, and I no interest in unpacking the obvious slant and barely concealed agendas in a variety of posts. You do you my friend.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I'm going to shrug and leave this be. I have no particular stakes here, the thread is what it is, and I no interest in unpacking the obvious slant and barely concealed agendas in a variety of posts. You do you my friend.
Either this post is intentional irony, or you're only calling one set of "obvious slant and barely concealed agendas" out. For me, I think the definition in the OP is the obvious slant and barely concealed agenda -- those being defining games according to what @lewpuls prefers with the agenda of advocating for this. I see little nefarious or wrong about his attempts, I just strongly disagree with them and see them coming from a rather calcified view of the hobby. Being called ignorant for disagreeing (something you've done as well, sideways-wise, without ever stating what's ignorant) is more evidence of slant and agenda, though, than any criticism I've leveled.

The definition in the OP is very narrow, and doesn't encapsulate RPGs in any meaningful way unless you're just looking at "most popular." And that, I find, it more a testament to D&D as a cultural icon rather than a prime example of what an RPG should or could be. D&D is definitely an RPG, and a decent one, but it's popularity isn't because it's the exemplar of RPGs. It's just the current most popular one, for many reasons (including that it's a decent game).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I think that's kind of assuming the conclusion, though - it sucks to not progress when you expect to progress.
Ultimately, that's why it's useful and not defining.
And it is useful - if I'm role playing a character, I probably have some in-character goals I'd like to meet other than just having fun (which is a player goal, not necessarily a character goal). I'm probably going to enjoy a campaign-based game more if I have a chance to actually improve along the way rather than remain static (or even redesign with the same limits - in which case if I wanted to improve something, I'd have to pull from something else).
I mean, I could be planning on playing that guy, the one who peaked in high school and eschew improvement. But I'd bet even he'd like a new riding lawn mower with more bells and whistles and a bigger garage fridge for his beer...

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Either this post is intentional irony, or you're only calling one set of "obvious slant and barely concealed agendas" out. For me, I think the definition in the OP is the obvious slant and barely concealed agenda -- those being defining games according to what @lewpuls prefers with the agenda of advocating for this. I see little nefarious or wrong about his attempts, I just strongly disagree with them and see them coming from a rather calcified view of the hobby. Being called ignorant for disagreeing (something you've done as well, sideways-wise, without ever stating what's ignorant) is more evidence of slant and agenda, though, than any criticism I've leveled.

The definition in the OP is very narrow, and doesn't encapsulate RPGs in any meaningful way unless you're just looking at "most popular." And that, I find, it more a testament to D&D as a cultural icon rather than a prime example of what an RPG should or could be. D&D is definitely an RPG, and a decent one, but it's popularity isn't because it's the exemplar of RPGs. It's just the current most popular one, for many reasons (including that it's a decent game).
I'm not really excluding or targeting anyone, the thread overall seems ... IDK, not good from that perspective? This topic is contentious at the best of times. I think a lot of people are making a lot of ill-founded assumptions about who said what about what and whom. I just don't have the bandwidth for that. The thread is already too much about people being salty or feeling offended than anything to do with the actual topic. So if someone thinks I'm talking about them when I say that I'd bet they're correct, and it's not useful or productive. On the other hand there has been some excellent discussion so there's that.

I don't see much that's controversial in the OP frankly, not when it's phrased like it is. It's pretty much in line with most common writing on the nature of RPGs. Sure, you can isolate one item off of one of those lists and find reasons to disagree, but that's often not actually a useful addition to the conversation. Like, for example, @Umbran 's problem with progressive improvement because he thinks it then doesn't apply to one shots. That's only correct or useful as criticism in a really narrow way IMO (no offense Umbran, you are just the example that popped to mind). It implies that the OP was attempting a level of definitional specificity that isn't warranted, at least based on my reading. Most one-shots would include something like one of the things on that list anyway, and most RPGs certainly do.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I'm not really excluding or targeting anyone, the thread overall seems ... IDK, not good from that perspective? This topic is contentious at the best of times. I think a lot of people are making a lot of ill-founded assumptions about who said what about what and whom. I just don't have the bandwidth for that. The thread is already too much about people being salty or feeling offended than anything to do with the actual topic. So if someone thinks I'm talking about them when I say that I'd bet they're correct, and it's not useful or productive. On the other hand there has been some excellent discussion so there's that.

I don't see much that's controversial in the OP frankly, not when it's phrased like it is. It's pretty much in line with most common writing on the nature of RPGs. Sure, you can isolate one item off of one of those lists and find reasons to disagree, but that's often not actually a useful addition to the conversation. Like, for example, @Umbran 's problem with progressive improvement because he thinks it then doesn't apply to one shots. That's only correct or useful as criticism in a really narrow way IMO (no offense Umbran, you are just the example that popped to mind). It implies that the OP was attempting a level of definitional specificity that isn't warranted, at least based on my reading. Most one-shots would include something like one of the things on that list anyway, and most RPGs certainly do.
We must have read different OPs, then, because the OP isn't saying that any one of the 4 bullets defines an RPG (and that would be too vague to be even useful), but that RPGs have all 4 of those characteristics. Those characteristics rule out a number of games that don't feature them as RPGs. I don't find the OP characteristics to be illuminating on the nature of RPGs. I can point to many RPGs that lack some or many of those characteristics, and would be ruled out as RPGs by that definition.

It really seems that you're arguing in defense of a position that I haven't seen clearly enunciated in this thread, and not by the OP. The OP's position rules out My Life with Master -- no advancement -- it rules out Ironsworn, in no-GM mode -- no GM -- I could go on, but it seems to fundamentally miss what makes an RPG while adding distinctions that cut out instead of include or expand. I don't see a huge amount of validity in the arguments, and pointing this out has earned me some rather heated responses. The intent here doesn't seem to be seeking understanding.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I wouldn’t say that the OP was any kind of intentional attempt at gatekeeping.

But it is an attempt to take what I think we can all likely agree is a broad category....RPG....and say that it applies to a much smaller subset of games than many may believe.

The criteria offered appear more narrow in focus than what I would expect.

• progressive improvement,
  • co-operation, and
  • GMed opposed adventure.

I mean, all seem related to RPGs to at least some extent, I agree. But are they actually required? And are some of the more specific criteria offered in each of these four broader categories also required? I don’t think so.

RPG, to me, must be a broader net than what’s been suggested in the OP. I mean....look at the term itself. If it’s a game and it involves roleplaying, why would it not be a RPG?

The fundamental argument to me seems to be “squares are the only shape, circles and triangles are something other than shapes.”

Arilyn

Hero
Since the article ended with, "What's your definition?" I don't believe that lewpuls is assuming that his criteria is the one true way of rpging.

To me, rpgs can encompass everything from an old school Gygaxian dungeon crawl, to the solo journaling game of 1000 Year Old Vampire. If this is too broad for some people, that's okay. I get it if you feel that a dungeon crawl with an avatar that only exists to survive and get rich is not role playing, or on the other end, that journaling games have no game in them. It can make for interesting debate. What we don't need is the hyperbole and insults. 🙄

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads