Worlds of Design: When Technology Changes the Game

Any change you make from the real world will have consequences, possibly massive consequences. If you want your world to hold together, you have to figure out those consequences, which is hard to do. Please Note: This article contains spoilers for the Blood in the Stars and Star Wars series.

stone-age-4462628_1280.png

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Technology Matters

The impact of technology can be a challenge for world builders, especially those who don’t know much about real world history. Any change you make from the real world will have consequences, possibly massive consequences. If you want your world to hold together, you have to figure out those consequences, which admittedly is hard to do.

There’s a tendency for fantasy and science fiction settings to be set in stone, to be unchangeable in technology and culture, in order to simplify the narrative. The Star Wars universe has seen space travel be used for thousands of years with very little technological change. J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle Earth is similarly stuck in a technological rut.

But unchanging technology is somewhere between completely unbelievable and simply unbelievable. Things change over time, and as things change that causes other things to change. Something as minor as the development of a horse collar that didn’t choke draft horses (during the Middle Ages) meant that Germany with its heavy soils could be opened up to farming and big population growth. If your world is going to be believable, you have to consider the consequences of the state of technology and culture.

Some Examples

The author of the Temeraire series, where dragons are added to the real world, struggled with consequences. At her starting point, in the Napoleonic Wars, history had been entirely unaffected by the presence of large numbers of dragons in warfare for centuries! But as she went along, history and her world diverged drastically because of the consequences of dragons.

Jay Allen’s “Blood on the Stars” series is a sci-fi example. Fighters armed with “plasma torpedoes” are very dangerous to 4 million-ton battleships. Surely then, in a setting so devoted to warfare, the spacefaring nations would have developed AI controlled missiles similar to fighters but both smaller and with higher acceleration (no need to accommodate a pilot), and carrying a bomb. Yet missiles of any kind are nowhere to be seen, except in fighter to fighter combat! The consequences of this should be that capital ships are relatively small and are more or less like aircraft carriers, not behemoths that rely on what amount to big guns to pound similar enemy ships.

Worst of these examples is the sudden discovery (after thousands of years of space travel) in Last of the Jedi that a spaceship could be used as a hyperspace missile and destroy the most powerful ship in the galaxy (the “Holdo Maneuver”). The consequences of this should have been that warships are relatively small and carry lots of hyperspace missiles guided by artificial intelligence. Star Destroyers would never exist. And this would have been discovered thousands of years before, of course, whether accidentally or through deliberate experimentation.

Of course, story writers manipulate things to work for their story and don’t worry about the consequences. But does that work in the long run? The writer/director of The Last Jedi wanted Admiral Holdo to die gloriously, so he invented a way for that to happen even though it’s highly destructive to the setting. Jay Allen wanted exciting things to happen to his hero’s battleship, even though long-term consequences made some of it nonsense.

Tech in RPGs

In fantasy role-playing games the obvious case of consequences being ignored by advanced technology is the addition of magic to what is otherwise a medieval setting. In D&D, the addition of fireballs and lightning bolts (and powerful monsters) would mean that a typical high medieval castle would not exist. Fortresses would be dug in the way 17th and 18th-century fortresses were dug in, even though the latter didn’t have to deal with explosive shells or precision explosives, just with cannonballs.

Then let’s consider D&D’s old Spelljammer setting. The adventurers discover a way to make a seagoing ship fly anywhere, even hover almost effortlessly. What is that going to do to warfare? Adventurers would likely use the ship to their advantage at their home world, where they can dominate warfare or trade; they are unlikely to fly off into interplanetary space and compete with a lot of other people who have flying ships. Multiply this by lots of adventurers with lots of flying ships, and warfare is entirely different from the typical medieval situation. It significantly changes transportation and communication, to name just a few factors.

Magic Items as Tech

Magic items often amount to a technological advantage that breaks the rules of the game, as well as breaking how the setting works, except that they are usually one-offs. If there’s only one magic item of the type then it can only have so much influence. Even though we have a few magical long-distance communication devices (certain kinds of crystal balls), they don’t change the default setting’s very slow communication.

If there is only one wand of fireballs in the world, and individual spell casters can’t generate fireballs, then that single wand doesn’t change the development of fortresses. One spelljammer ship might not affect the world as a whole, where many such ships would. But if crystal balls, fireballs, or flying carpets are common, then the implications for the world are significant.

Figuring out consequences of changes is certainly not easy. I think my knowledge of how change has worked in real world history helps a lot. The more you know about history—not just dates and events, but what actually happened and why—the better you’ll be able to make new worlds.

Can you describe a case where failure to anticipate consequences of technological change became obvious in an RPG campaign? If you were the GM, what did you do about it?

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

MEGASONGER

Villager
Insulting other members
Congratulations, this is one of the least insightful, most chicken-headed dipshit articles I've ever read, you nitpicky old hack. I got off my phone at 4 AM to tell you this, because I can't sleep without telling you you're a naughty word moron.

You're a fan of cinemasins, aren't you? I bet you get a pavlovian response to blow a wad every time you hear a bell ring because it makes you so giddy to hear a nitpick about a scifi movie where literally every detail wasnt slathered over by a team of nerds who don't know a thing about storytelling or why we tell them at all. Newsflash, you naughty word dolt, it wasn't to exhaust ourselves on pointless details about horse collars or agriculture.

It's to tell a goddamn story! We like to read stories because they're exciting and make us think about our lives critically. Your supposition that a writer or team of writers should sit down and exhaustively jerk you off so you stop complaining about the implications of plasma weapons (which don't naughty word exist) or magic (which, hey, also doesn't naughty word exist) and create totally unfamiliar settings that share no familiar symbolism with our own is wrong-headed on every level. There is not a single point in which anything you are talking about matters or should be considered.

naughty word your slavish devotion to exhausting setting detail. Go argue about kyber crystals or something in Wookieepedia.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Congratulations, this is one of the least insightful, most chicken-headed dipshit articles I've ever read, you nitpicky old hack. I got off my phone at 4 AM to tell you this, because I can't sleep without telling you you're a naughty word moron.

You're a fan of cinemasins, aren't you? I bet you get a pavlovian response to blow a wad every time you hear a bell ring because it makes you so giddy to hear a nitpick about a scifi movie where literally every detail wasnt slathered over by a team of nerds who don't know a thing about storytelling or why we tell them at all. Newsflash, you naughty word dolt, it wasn't to exhaust ourselves on pointless details about horse collars or agriculture.

It's to tell a goddamn story! We like to read stories because they're exciting and make us think about our lives critically. Your supposition that a writer or team of writers should sit down and exhaustively jerk you off so you stop complaining about the implications of plasma weapons (which don't naughty word exist) or magic (which, hey, also doesn't naughty word exist) and create totally unfamiliar settings that share no familiar symbolism with our own is wrong-headed on every level. There is not a single point in which anything you are talking about matters or should be considered.

naughty word your slavish devotion to exhausting setting detail. Go argue about kyber crystals or something in Wookieepedia.
Well, bye then.

(Folks, the above individual won't be returning. No need to respond to them.)

Last edited:

lewpuls

Hero
Not to respond, really, but wow, that was astonishing. I point out that I didn't know what cinemasins was until I looked it up just now. When people assign likes or dislikes to others, that the target hasn't expressed themselves, they're almost always wrong. At least, when I'm the target. A lesson.

kunadam

Adventurer
In a fantasy setting, the battlefield use of magic is nicely depicted in the Wheel of Time setting by Robert Jordan.
In the beginning of the series, the magic users are outside of the battlefield scene, in the sense, that they do not interfere with the direct war. Their stronghold was once besieged by conventional armies, and they showed that it was an unwise move.

Then there are an increasing number of magic-users and more and more engagement. The first great description of the shock use of battlefield magic is the battle of Dumai's Wells. Magic-users just mow through conventional troops with fire and stone. Then magic is incorproated at an alarming speed into warcraft from surveillance, through magic transport to direct artillery like support (the fireball). Of course as it should be, quite many of the magic users on both sides are trying to counter the other magic users. Thus there are a lot of fireballs flung around, but few actually hit, and the side which can maintain this exchange the longer will have magic superiority and thus the upper hand.

Unfortunatelly (but please enlighten me!) D&D is not very good at counter spells and dispels.

A lot of this conversation has revolved around space settings, whether scifi like the Expanse or handwavy science fantasy like Star Trek or Star Wars. I would have thought that a pretty obvious example of a series dealing with technology in a fantasy setting would be The Legend of Korra.

As a follow-up to Avatar: The Last Airbender it explored the impact of an explosion of industrial technology on, among other things, what had been a fairly classically martial arts based form of elemental magic (bending). It's very interesting to see how, for example, as technology allows normals to simulate some of the bender's powers or generate powers of their own that let them stand toe-to-toe with benders, the ability to bend becomes less spiritual and less dominant and ultimately more more pragmatic and mundane.

Curious to hear what others think.

Starfox

Adventurer
In a TORG game we incorporated some old campaigns, one of them based on Star Wars. To do that, we developed world laws for the Star Wars setting - rules a world in the TORG setting has to enforce the gentre of each sub-setting. One of the world rules for our Star Wars knockoff was the "Law of Cyclical Development". Star Wars has continual technological development and numerous local variants of technology that is apparently able to trump the galactic standard, yet there is no overall technologival development. Instead the setting is locked ina rock-paper-scissors type of technological game, where each new technology makes an older technology obsolete, only to be made obsolete itself by later developments - yet the overall level of technology remains the same.

This was back when there were only three Star Wars films, but later development in the brand seems to bear it out even more.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases