• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

World's oldest D20 anyone?

Cor Azer

First Post
I think the dice guys mentioned this in one of the recent Dice Question/collection threads. It went for just over $17,000 if I recall.

Zander

Explorer
Jdvn1 said:
Are the symbols on there numbers or are they representative of soemthing else?
They're Greek letters. It's a matter of some debate whether they represent numbers or not.

On the one hand, Greek letters were used as numbers in Ptolemaic Greece and Egypt and there's a d12 at the Louvre museum in Paris that's clearly numbered with Greek letters from 1 to 12.

On the other hand, the choice of letters used on the d20 does not correspond exactly to any known system. Moreover, a d20 at the Louvre of similar age to the one auctioned has both Roman letters and numbers. The letters and numbers do not match. There's a diagram showing it in a book by F.N. David.

We don't know what the ancient d20s were used for. Until we find a set of rules, we may never figure out what the Greek symbols represent.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
It'd be something to see, millenia from now, archeologists finding some of our d20s and wondering what the symbolic meaning to it was.... along with the rest of the set...

Crothian

First Post
Darth K'Trava said:
It'd be something to see, millenia from now, archeologists finding some of our d20s and wondering what the symbolic meaning to it was.... along with the rest of the set...

There's a pond near my old place with about a half dozen dice at the bottom of it thanks to a really frustrating night at the gaming table.......

Zuoken

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:
There goes my theory about the d20 being invented in a secret government laboratory.

Just when you think you're too paranoid, you find out that you're not paranoid enough...

:uhoh:

Darth K'Trava

First Post
Crothian said:
There's a pond near my old place with about a half dozen dice at the bottom of it thanks to a really frustrating night at the gaming table.......

That'd be funny to dredge those up while dredging up golf balls...... :p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads