• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst D&D products ever.

woodelf

First Post
Crothian said:
Exactly what you described. These are the oldest race, they should have better stuff then the other people. I found it all very fitting, elves thingk there stuff is the best; they are egotistical. And abilities for only one race is a good thing. It makes them different, if everyone can do anything it makes the races a little less different from each other.
Sure, if they're an older/tougher/more-advanced/better race. In Middle Earth, they are. In D&D, they aren't. Mind you, i would've preferred if D&D3E had actually gone they way of Tolkien (if not the Complete Elves' Handbook), but that would've also required making elves a LA +6 (or so) race, and not available as a beginning character. The problem isn't having them imbalanced, it's having them imbalanced in actual play while simultaneously treating them as being balanced. I.e., giving the perks, but not paying the costs.

woodelf

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
2e's psionics - Complete Guide to Psionics (or whatever it was called) and the Way of the Psionicist. Ruined the reputation of psionics for a long time. :mad:
"ruined" the reputation? How could it? Whatever you may think of Complete Psionics Handbook, you don't seriously think it's worse than AD&D1 psionics, do you? While it may not have fixed everything, it was still a *vast* improvement over its predecessor--it may have failed to salvage psionics' reputation, but it certainly didn't ruin it.

woodelf

First Post
VirgilCaine said:
Re: Wilderness Survival Guide---I had heard that this was useful and good--or am I thinking the 2e version, the 1e version sucked?
only version is 1e--there is no 2e equivalent. And, yeah, i always thought it rocked on toast--and this is the first i've ever heard anybody disparaging it.

Crothian

First Post
woodelf said:
Sure, if they're an older/tougher/more-advanced/better race. In Middle Earth, they are. In D&D, they aren't. Mind you, i would've preferred if D&D3E had actually gone they way of Tolkien (if not the Complete Elves' Handbook), but that would've also required making elves a LA +6 (or so) race, and not available as a beginning character. The problem isn't having them imbalanced, it's having them imbalanced in actual play while simultaneously treating them as being balanced. I.e., giving the perks, but not paying the costs.

In D&D they can be, it depends on the world and how the elves in it are defined. And this is second edition, when did balance matter back then? :cool:

Steel_Wind

Legend
Council of Wryms is pretty stinky.

Wilderness Survival Guide - waste of trees.

And - a lil heresy and controversy: Most copies of the Dragon since issue #100. Seriously - there has been very little written since then of much use.

I have never understood why a smelly collection of thematic retreads like Dragon survives and does well while a comparitively awesome product like Dungeon fights for readers.

Never, ever understood that.

Last edited:

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
And - a lil heresy and controversy: Most copies of the Dragon since issue #100. Seriously - there has been very little written since then of much use.

Deagon #100 had a scenario in it! I'd forgotten that! Now THAT was without a doubt the stinkiest scenario ever published. Badly researched, badly written, illogical and with some of the most pathetic attempts at 'humour' I've ever seen. It was set in 'modern' London and had obviously been written by someone with NO KNOWLEDGE of London, or the UK.

GOM

ps, I still think that Tomb of Horrors was a stinker.

diaglo

Adventurer
GrumpyOldMan said:
It was set in 'modern' London and had obviously been written by someone with NO KNOWLEDGE of London, or the UK.

i said the same thing about a Dungeon Adventure that featured the CDC.

if they had done any research and i mean any research at all they would've gotten at least part of it right. :p

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
woodelf said:
"ruined" the reputation? How could it? Whatever you may think of Complete Psionics Handbook, you don't seriously think it's worse than AD&D1 psionics, do you? While it may not have fixed everything, it was still a *vast* improvement over its predecessor--it may have failed to salvage psionics' reputation, but it certainly didn't ruin it.

I think 2nd edition psionics being an improvement over 1st edition at all is highly in question. While I think there were a few good ideas, overall, I found 2nd edition psionics to be far more of a pain in the rear than 1st edition.

paladins quest

First Post
Y'all missed the WORSTEST D&D product ever.....

CardMaster

Or maybe, unlike me, you all avoided wasting your $20 on it.

This "thing" was sold as a random adventure maker kind of deally. There weren't any reviews on it, or good explanations. It was a boxed set.

It had, cards for monsters and rooms. it even had cardstock room props so you could build the rooms.

You were supposed to take your characters and go through the dungeon in random format.

You flipped over a card, revealing the room.

You then figured out if there was a monster, and revealed the monster card.

You then fought the monster

You then moved to the next room.

Yes folks. I paid $20 for that damn thing. We even tried it for a few hours, just in case there was fun inside we missed. I was wrong. In hindsight, I basically paid $20 for some dice.

This was a AD&D 2e product, back in the day...

Janx
I’m buying this based on your review . Sounds fun for solo play

Remove ads