• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Worst D&D products ever.

Saqhara

First Post
Back in the day my group loved Tomb of Horrors. Mind you, we would never, ever, consent to taking our mian charcters through it but we did roll up appropriate PCs for it on several occassions. We all owned it and we all DMed it and each of us had a different take on how things played out. It was great fun.

On the hate side... I'd have to go with Ruins of Adventure, man what a let down.

Next would be the DL series but then I was never a fan so I may be biased.

For 3e plus I'd go with the Psionics Handbook and anything that could not see fit to get decent editing. The thing that immediately and consistantly leaps into my mind whenever this topic comes up is the SW d20 book. There's a line inside for the descriptions of humans. It goes something like this: "Humans are the ancestors of spacefaring explorers..." Ancestors indeed... The sad thing is that line made it into the revised book as well.

Oh, one more, Nightmare Keep was just... bad.

S'mon

Legend
Nightmare Keep was appalling. Wilderness Survival Guide was just dull. The 3e Greyhawk Guide was a waste of money. Star Wars d20, *yech* The worst thing I ever bought though was Necropolis, it became clear though only when I'd been running it several weeks.

Razz0putin

Explorer
alright tomb of horrors It isn't the worst product of all time but it is probably the most overrated. I'd read and heard about this one for years and I'm sorry to all those that had a good time with it but it is arbitrary out the wazoo. the thing plays like a star trek episode in the end we solved it with our heizenberg compensators captain. no hint of death just plain old death hell a ten year old could write deathtraps that arbitrary. It really bothered me because we used the ten foot pole wisely and offen this thing had a reputation after all. now beyond the magic mirror and dungeonland those were a blast but definately not everyone's cup of tea. and to all of those fans of tomb of horrors (I'm looking at you warrior poet) you might want to really look at the module again because I went in really wanting to like it and had an alright time thanks to a soft dm. Call of chtullu is more fair

shadow

First Post
Obviously this list is highly subjective. With each of us looking for different things in a game, our opinions will vary significantly. In my opinion the worst D&D products are:

1. Complete Ninja's Handbook

2. Hero Builders Guide: Most people don't want to shell out $12 for a simple list of fantasy archetypes.

3. D&D 3.5 core books: I know I'll catch flak for saying it, but I hate most of the revised rules. Rather than go into individual reasons, I'll just say that I refuse to switch to 3.5e.

kolikeos

First Post
shadow said:
D&D 3.5 core books: I know I'll catch flak for saying it, but I hate most of the revised rules. Rather than go into individual reasons, I'll just say that I refuse to switch to 3.5e.
IMO the changes were pretty good, expecely the changes to the classes. i play a 3.25e game, using the revised classes but trash (mostly) everything else. oh, and the DMG has more prestige classes and alot of info from the manual of the planes and epic level handbook, but it has less art and variants (I like variants).

the Jester

Legend
Um, my 'shelf of shame' holds about 3 copies of the 2e dmg... I couldn't get rid of them when I gave away all my stuff a few years ago!

Put the Complete Book of Elves on my list too.

Not much else that I can think of that I really hate.

Edit: and in defense of Tomb of Horrors, a well-prepared high-level 3e party can get through it intact. The pcs in my campaign did it- they actually went through the RttToH boxed set and totally triumphed, and I'm a dm who prides himself on a high fatality rate.

Last edited:

Dragonblade

Adventurer
The one single most worthless product for me is Undermountain. A dungeon where the designers expected you to populate all the rooms! I was completely outraged then, and am still outraged when I think about it today. :mad:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
DM_Matt said:
Well, I;ve got a sacred cow in my sights here:

Tomb of Horrors

Its rediculously arbitrary and unfair, a monument to everything that was wrong with old school dnd. It doesnt do much to reward good play and routinely end-runs around the power of the characters.

I respect your view...and can understand your points.

But I can honestly say we had a blast playing it. And we had to succeed in order to save the world (Greyhawk at the time). It took the wizard who hired us a couple of clone spells etc. but it was very enjoyable. One character actually made it through witout dying once. The warrior. Heheh.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads