• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Wot] Does anyone play it? Is it any good?

mystraschosen

First Post
I love wot,it is great...one of my favorite fantasy settings easily.
Only bad thing I can say about the core book is that it was written as if the buyer had no idea about any of it,so there was a lot of redundant info. I asked Sean k Reynolds over at his boards why there was only the core book and prophecies of the dragon and he said that wizards had only made it a two book deal,unfortunate for die hard fans like me,but let me irriterate what has already been said......you have ten huge honkin novels to guide you so I guess things turned out allright in the end.

Mercule

Adventurer
I've never played WoT, but the rulebook is awesome. I'm happily ripping bits and pieces out of it for my own campaign. The woodsman is the best solution for the ranger.

Eventually (probably by late spring), I'll have the list of 3E spells converted over to use the WoT system. They may not be completely recognizable (game balance and some subtle changes in feel), but all the capability will be there.

Kaiyosama

First Post
Okay it sounds cool... but is it worth the $30 - $40 just for crunchy bits that can be added to other games?

I haven't read any Jordan (yes, I know... they are on my list).

Bendris Noulg

First Post
Depends... If you think 3E is too bland, combat-focused and overpowered, than yes, it's very much worth it.

Needless to say, if they did a revised WoT, I wouldn't hesitate to get it the same way I'm hesitating the 3.5 books.

ForceUser

Explorer
I bought it and I'm glad I did. I am using WoT D20 rules the next time I start a new campaign. I especially appreciate their take on magic items, classes, and the magic system. I'm not a Robert Jordan fan, however, so I will be divesting the ruleset of WoT-specific stuff and using the bare bones for a homebrew.

Olive

Explorer
Kaiyosama said:

i'd take them off.

edit: sorry, as far as the game itself goes, it sounds interesting, that comment was just about the novels.

Last edited:

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Kaiyosama said:
Okay it sounds cool... but is it worth the $30 - $40 just for crunchy bits that can be added to other games?

IMHO, no.

I have read the Jordan books and I have the D&D core rules. I felt like I had paid $40 for 40 pages of material. You'll probably get more out of it because you haven't read the Jordan books.

mini-crunchy review:

The Woodsman is an excellent alternative Ranger (this coming from the guy who has the pro-core-rules-ranger webpage) and "channeling" is cool. The Aes Sedi PrC blows, it's powerful but doesn't make any allowances for Ajah (the Aes Sedi are wizard women who have different orders, the different orders are VERY important in the books and are not even touched on in the WoT game). The different human "races" are well done. The layout of the book is awful. There are THREE places where different feats are mentioned! Try looking those up in a hurry.

I have seen worse, I have seen better.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads