• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WoT RPG - What to do with it.

cbatt

First Post
I picked up the WOT RPG yesterday for 1/2 price at a used book store. It was in almost brand new condition and the price was right so I took a chance.

Now, I'm not a fan of the series. I read the first two books many years ago and though I liked them, they didn't grab me the same way they did with many other folks and I haven't read anything since. I only bought the book to see what was done with the d20 system.

However, reading the RPG has inspired me to at least attempt a mini-campaign with the rules. For further inspiration, I'm going to go back and re-read the two novels that I have.

I also thought that I'd come here and ask around to see what others have done with their WOT game. Any ideas, pointers, and/or tips would be appreciated. Also, feel free to add any insights about the supplements.

Thanks in advance.

(BTW, my thoughts on the game are positive. The book is very attractive. The art is great and it's well laid out. It is also well written and easy to grasp. I'm not 100% sure what to make of the rules, but they seem decent (especially the magic rules). Overall, I'm impressed.)

N Hammer

First Post
With a little looking around you can find a website that gives you a chapter by chapter summery of all the books.....That could help you out some....

I thought the game was done well..

ToddSchumacher

I like to draw!
I plan on running a WoT campaing as soon as an opening occurs in our little group. I'm going to have the players set characters just after the Aiel War (before the main books), dealing with darkfriends, black ahja, trollocks, after some item of great power.

I was thinking a weapon used by Lews Therin during the War of Power... a "Dragon Lance". ;)

I don;t know if i'm going to do that though. I just have to wait until one of the other two DMs I play with decide they want a break...doesn't look like anytime soon though.

So I sit and wait....At least the next book comes out this November.

Eosin the Red

First Post
While I love the setting, the rules (even with huge volumes of typos) rock. That is the way I see D&D fantasy. I will use the rules and classes for all of my D20 Fantasy games.

Maybe you can find some inspiration on my website. I haven't been able to update it in the last month or so but it still contains reams of info.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I plan to use it for my next d20 campaign - although with a number of rules changes to improve the "feel" for me - a "one power" attribute, active parrying, some changes to the core classes (Al'gad'sis'wai becoming a prestige class, Gleeman being redefined in several ways...)

My campaign will be in a mirror world with no Rand. Everyone is still waiting for the dragon reborn... and it could be anybody - even YOU! :)

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
I really do think that the WoT rules are closest to the way D&D "should be," even though I am not a fan of the books or setting. Magic seems more mysterious and rare, as do monsters, and the emphasis seems to be more on human interaction and intrigue than dungeoneering, but still with plenty of opportunities to clash swords with enemies if desired (and who doesn't at least once per session? ;) ).

However, I also like the d20 Call of Cthulhu approach to magic (anyone can learn and cast spells so long as they can stand the temporary ability drain most spells entail) and to making monsters truly rare, unstoppable and horrifying. The flexible character creation system would be fun to try to convert to D&D.

Oriental Adventures and AEG's Rokugan bookjs also have variant classes and magic systems that intrigue me and are very well done.

I'm a bit sick of high fantasy/high magic settings and rules, so it's nice to have some great options out there that still use the d20 rules set (nobody in my group has time, money or inclination to learn another system). I just don't know which one I like best out of the above options! Maybe a combination?

Voneth

First Post
The impression I got from a lot of people and from the Internet was that once you stopped comparing the game to the books, you had a pretty decent fantasy game sans the typos of course.

I think a lot of people would have loved it if the magic system had gone SRD or done what Sovergin Stone did, which was to re publish the magic system in a seperate sourcebook so as to be a "plug-in" for home d20 games.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads