WotBS WotBS #4 - Mad Kings Banquet

catsclaw227

First Post
I got my link today, promptly downloaded it and started skimming. (My group is only 2nd level in Chapter 1).

I found something I hadn't seen and wondered if it is a typo. In Appendex D: Diseases and Poisons, the Red Madness makes the target "confused". Is this a new condition that I don't know about?

I looked it up in the DDI, and didn't find anything, even checked other WotBS 4e adventures and can't find any other reference to a new condition.

What is the confused condition and where did it originate?

Jhaelen

First Post
What is the confused condition and where did it originate?
I guess it originates from 3E:
A confused character’s actions are determined by rolling d% at the beginning of his turn: 01-10, attack caster with melee or ranged weapons (or close with caster if attacking is not possible); 11-20, act normally; 21-50, do nothing but babble incoherently; 51-70, flee away from caster at top possible speed; 71-100, attack nearest creature (for this purpose, a familiar counts as part of the subject’s self). A confused character who can’t carry out the indicated action does nothing but babble incoherently. Attackers are not at any special advantage when attacking a confused character. Any confused character who is attacked automatically attacks its attackers on its next turn, as long as it is still confused when its turn comes. A confused character does not make attacks of opportunity against any creature that it is not already devoted to attacking (either because of its most recent action or because it has just been attacked).
I guess you could create a similar table for 4E (if there isn't already one).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
No, no. "Confused" is just fluff - the entry says the character "acts as if dazed".

I guess it could be phrased differently and avoid words which appeared in 3.5! Read it as "The target is overhwlemed by a sense of disorientation, acquiring the dazed status."

Last edited:

catsclaw227

First Post
Thanks for the clarification Morrus!

Just as a point, the "confused" doesn't look like fluff in the Poison descriptions (of either Red Madness or Mindhaunt Poison).

"Attack +16 vs. Fortitude; the target becomes confused (save ends)"

"Attack +18 vs. Fortitude ; the target becomes confused and dazed (save ends both)."

These look like actual conditions and not fluff text. That's where it was..... um.... confusing.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Thanks for the clarification Morrus!

Just as a point, the "confused" doesn't look like fluff in the Poison descriptions (of either Red Madness or Mindhaunt Poison).

"Attack +16 vs. Fortitude; the target becomes confused (save ends)"

"Attack +18 vs. Fortitude ; the target becomes confused and dazed (save ends both)."

These look like actual conditions and not fluff text. That's where it was..... um.... confusing.

I checked with Steve. Yep, that's an error. They should be the same as above - just dazed (save ends).

Falkus

Explorer
I was just reading my copy, and I noticed that there seems to be a picture covering part of the text on page 11, the descriptive text for the council meeting at Lyceum.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I was just reading my copy, and I noticed that there seems to be a picture covering part of the text on page 11, the descriptive text for the council meeting at Lyceum.

Looks fine to me. What are you using to view the file?

Falkus

Explorer
Looks fine to me. What are you using to view the file?

Adobe. I also checked with Foxit and got the same issue. The text that's covered is at the start of the second column on page 11 (or 14 when counting the non-numbered pages), and the text just before the paragraphs that are covered is:

"figure out how long it had been since we’d"

The next several paragraphs at the top second column are covered by the picture. The text is still present and can be selected and copied.

I've seen it in both the color and B&W versions. I can provide a screenshot if it would help.

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Gah, no need for a screenshot; I see what happened.

I'll get a fix out as soon as I can. (On the plus side, it's an easy fix.) I have a feeling some minor errata items might make their way in at the same time. :)

In the meantime, the passage, including the partial paragraph, reads:

“Come on and sit down,” says the half-elf stranger. “I’m Balan Bastom, distantly related to the Bastom house of Ostalin. Pleasure to meet you. Simeon and I were just trying to figure out how long it had been since we’d seen a storm anywhere near as big as the one we had last week. The best we can figure was twenty-two years ago. Good job on that, by the way.”

Katrina smirks and remarks to Balan, “We only owe them our lives.” She turns to you and says, “And we have a mission for you. I’ve promised them that you won’t disappoint us.”
-------------------------[end boxed text]------------------------

After Katrina speaks, Simeon takes a few orders and gets everyone drinks of their choice from a well-stocked cabinet. At the DM’s discretion, some small talk begins at this point. Balan is originally from Ostalin, where he was officially a noble, though he has no actual political power. Now he serves as an advisor to Seaquen, and is the chosen diplomat to represent the town’s interests in Dassen. The diplomat is intensely interested in the heroes’ story and asks, “What is the most surprising adventure you have experienced on your journey to Seaquen?”

Finally, Simeon steers the conversation towards business.

The boxed text picks up again right after the image.

Last edited:

Remove ads