WotBS WotBS [D&D 3.5] Chapter 3 - Showdown with Lee Sidoneth

Gregor

First Post
Hey there,

This may be a silly question, so feel free to tell me so.

Also, if you're in my group and you somehow stumbled up on this. AWAY WITH YOU CHEATS!

My players are just about to face off against Lee Sidoneth. After looking at Lee's abilities and gear (namely the control wand) and the environment in which the PCs will begin the fight (waist deep in the ocean), I was wondering if Lee could use the call lightning effect to strike the water in hopes that the spell would electrocute more that one target (sort of like a burst into the water).

I have no idea what the rules for casting electricity spells into water are and the SRD doesn't seem to shed any light. Is there a rule somewhere that deals with this? Should I just forget about it?

Cheers,

Gregor

Well, electricity propagates through water in all directions, at least by Hollywood physics. So it would probably transform from a single-target strike to a small burst, with lesser damage. Hit a target for full damage, and deal 1d6 to anyone within 10 ft.?

By the way, if you want your players not to know anything they shouldn't, maybe you shouldn't mention the name of an NPC who is supposed to be a surprise villain.

Last edited:

Gregor

First Post
Thanks for the thoughts RangerWickett. Though I was wondering if there were rules that covered this anywhere (not in WotBS stuff, but perhaps in a rules supplement I don't own).

They also already know his name, he isn't a surprise villain by the time they head into the storm (at least according to the way the module is written). As per the module, they've gone to the ruins and the tomb on the tip of the peninsula in search of Lee. To be clear, they are just now exiting the Tomb itself (with the orb in hand) and will soon be walking back out of the ruined prison where he makes his appearance.

Nebten

First Post
Looking through Stormwrack and the DMG, I'm not seeing anything special about eletricity in water.

You may want to houserule the following, which I believe comes from AD&D (I could be wrong). Eletrical/lightening damage becomes a ball form, so in this case it would act as a lightening ball with a 20' radius. Keep in mind though, per the DMG rules, the players have improved cover and thus +4 to reflex saves from the attack coming from land and them being in water.

I will tell you though, this is a hard combat. Unless a majority of your players can fly or have a swim speed, it can take a few rounds for the players to reach shore. I wouldn't up the ante any more with lightening balls unless you need to take it to the next level. Pelting them with call lightining bolts for a few rounds will put them on edge.

Gregor

First Post
Thanks Nebten, this is some good advice (though I wonder why the rules never spoke to a scenario like this ...)

Also, now that you mention it, ya it does look like a pretty tough combat. It probably isn't a good idea to make it any tougher.

Cheers,

Gregor

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Some necromancy for whoever comes across this thread later.

In older versions of DnD (I think I'm thinking of 1st ed AD&D here) underwater lightning bolt functioned very much like fireball. Since it's old school it may have done so disastrously, with a range of zero. Either way, turning call lightning into an area effect probably wouldn't be too crazy.

Last edited:

Remove ads