WotBS WOTBS maps (adventure three and beyond) in .jpg?

fr33py

First Post
I opened up those images, from the FG zip, but none of them seem to be to scale for printing and using with minis.

How are you guys rescaling them? I guess I was under the impression they were already to scale and ready to just print and use.

OnlineDM

Adventurer
They're to scale for use in online virtual tabletop programs like MapTool or Fantasy Grounds. They're not scaled for printing.

If you want to do that, I recommend opening them in Paint.NET (a free program), going to View and choosing Inches instead of Pixels. Then use the selection tool to figure out how many inches across a particular group of squares is. Count those squares. Do the math to figure out how many inches you currently have per square, and resize the map to the number of inches you'll need to get it to one inch per square.

You could then use something like PosteRazor to convert them to PDFs that can be taped together to form a nice-looking map on the table.

luide

First Post
For printing, I'd personally just use the .pdf files available from resources page. Assuming you want to use 1 inch squares that is, otherwise OnlineDm's advice is good.

I've converted maps from the .pdf in adventure 1 to png files. I just copied the images from pdf file to image editor and used the stitch function to create one big file.

I've got all the encounter maps done for maptool with vision blocking layer for adventure 1, but they're still missing tokens.

Last edited:

fr33py

First Post
I'd love to just use the .pdf files provided however when I print the pdf files they print the maps too small. They aren't to scale and you can't place mini's on them. I often wondered why the .pdf files were even available since they didn't appear to useful. I suppose with an image editor one might be able to scale it properly. I was not entirely positive how to do so.

corwyn77

Adventurer
I'd love to just use the .pdf files provided however when I print the pdf files they print the maps too small. They aren't to scale and you can't place mini's on them. I often wondered why the .pdf files were even available since they didn't appear to useful. I suppose with an image editor one might be able to scale it properly. I was not entirely positive how to do so.

I hear you. Some of the maps (adventure 3) the maps are 3 x 4 squares in size so if I can rescale them properly I'd only be printing 1/4 of the page. The maps for adventure 1 are scaled properly but only 3 of them are in pdf format. The rest (listed as additional for 4e version) are all jpg.

Adventure 8 seems alright for the first 90 pages (out of ~250) but the rest are scaled 4x5 squares.

Page_Archangel

First Post
Chapter 3 Maps

Are you aware that the maps ARE available as JPGs, with the enemy starting positions erased and everything? If you go here and click on Resources, you can find the Fantasy Grounds 2 files, which contain JPG versions of all of the maps. You'll need to extract the .mod file from the ZIP, and then rename the MOD extension to ZIP, and inside you'll find what you need.

I'm sorry if I'm being computer dysfunctional....but I'm having trouble with this process. When I downloaded the file, it came over as an MPEG. Help please!

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I'm sorry if I'm being computer dysfunctional....but I'm having trouble with this process. When I downloaded the file, it came over as an MPEG. Help please!

I'm guessing that it didn't come as an MPEG, but a .mod file, which Windows thinks is a movie. It's not a movie, though - it's really a zip file.

Here is the direct link to the ZIP file with the Chapter 3 maps: http://www.enworld.org/enpublishing/fg2_wotbs_3.zip

The steps for unzipping this file (at least in Windows 7) are:
  • Click the download link
  • Extract Shelter From the Storm.mod from that zip
  • Enter the password when prompted (it's the name of the guy, all lowercase letters, pictured on page 25 of the module, which is actually the 28th page of the PDF - the dude with the floppy hat who's fondling his staff)
  • Rename the extracted .mod file Shelter From the Storm.zip (change the extension)
  • Extract the files within THAT .zip to wherever you want them
  • Use the files that have names like TE-Swamp-1-pc.jpg. I believe TE is Tactical Encounter; the -pc means that it's the version that the players can see (with the monster starting locations removed).

I hope this helps!

Page_Archangel

First Post
Chapter 3 Maps

THANKS! Once I change the extension (I used the good old DOS "ren" command) I was able extract all of the Maps! I notice that there are too many maps for individual Fire Tomb and Prison encounters, so I guess I'll just print out the overall map using Staples over-sized printing.

Lovell

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
THANKS! Once I change the extension (I used the good old DOS "ren" command) I was able extract all of the Maps! I notice that there are too many maps for individual Fire Tomb and Prison encounters, so I guess I'll just print out the overall map using Staples over-sized printing.

Lovell

I liked those maps/encounters, but did not print them. For the prison I pre drew themon gaming paper, and for the Fire tomb I actually used Dungeon Tiles. Be sure you save those maps, by the way!

Remove ads