D&D General WotC’s Official Announcement About Diversity, Races, and D&D

Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D. Notably, the word ‘race’ is not used; in its place are the words ‘people’ and 'folk'.

2A4C47E3-EAD6-4461-819A-3A42B20ED62A.png

PRESS RELEASE

Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is strength, for only a diverse group of adventurers can overcome the many challenges a D&D story presents. In that spirit, making D&D as welcoming and inclusive as possible has moved to the forefront of our priorities over the last six years. We’d like to share with you what we’ve been doing, and what we plan to do in the future to address legacy D&D content that does not reflect who we are today. We recognize that doing this isn’t about getting to a place where we can rest on our laurels but continuing to head in the right direction. We feel that being transparent about it is the best way to let our community help us to continue to calibrate our efforts.

One of the explicit design goals of 5th edition D&D is to depict humanity in all its beautiful diversity by depicting characters who represent an array of ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and beliefs. We want everyone to feel at home around the game table and to see positive reflections of themselves within our products. “Human” in D&D means everyone, not just fantasy versions of northern Europeans, and the D&D community is now more diverse than it’s ever been.

Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in. Despite our conscious efforts to the contrary, we have allowed some of those old descriptions to reappear in the game. We recognize that to live our values, we have to do an even better job in handling these issues. If we make mistakes, our priority is to make things right.

Here’s what we’re doing to improve:
  • We present orcs and drow in a new light in two of our most recent books, Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. In those books, orcs and drow are just as morally and culturally complex as other peoples. We will continue that approach in future books, portraying all the peoples of D&D in relatable ways and making it clear that they are as free as humans to decide who they are and what they do.
  • When every D&D book is reprinted, we have an opportunity to correct errors that we or the broader D&D community discovered in that book. Each year, we use those opportunities to fix a variety of things, including errors in judgment. In recent reprintings of Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd, for example, we changed text that was racially insensitive. Those reprints have already been printed and will be available in the months ahead. We will continue this process, reviewing each book as it comes up for a reprint and fixing such errors where they are present.
  • Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.
  • Curse of Strahd included a people known as the Vistani and featured the Vistani heroine Ezmerelda. Regrettably, their depiction echoes some stereotypes associated with the Romani people in the real world. To rectify that, we’ve not only made changes to Curse of Strahd, but in two upcoming books, we will also show—working with a Romani consultant—the Vistani in a way that doesn’t rely on reductive tropes.
  • We've received valuable insights from sensitivity readers on two of our recent books. We are incorporating sensitivity readers into our creative process, and we will continue to reach out to experts in various fields to help us identify our blind spots.
  • We're proactively seeking new, diverse talent to join our staff and our pool of freelance writers and artists. We’ve brought in contributors who reflect the beautiful diversity of the D&D community to work on books coming out in 2021. We're going to invest even more in this approach and add a broad range of new voices to join the chorus of D&D storytelling.
And we will continue to listen to you all. We created 5th edition in conversation with the D&D community. It's a conversation that continues to this day. That's at the heart of our work—listening to the community, learning what brings you joy, and doing everything we can to provide it in every one of our books.

This part of our work will never end. We know that every day someone finds the courage to voice their truth, and we’re here to listen. We are eternally grateful for the ongoing dialog with the D&D community, and we look forward to continuing to improve D&D for generations to come.

Sadras

Legend
uh I'm pretty sure the discussion here has to do with the depiction of certain groups in the game. being an adventurer (and by extension a murderhobo) is a choice, being an orc isn't.

I do not believe this has any relevance to my particular discussion flow between me and the poster I replied to.
I have commented further on this with @BookTenTiger.

G

Guest 6801328

The problem is that people can't say or write anything in this day and age without feeling as if they're walking on egg shells. Every single word is put under a microscope and analyzed to death in order to search for signs of bigotry, racism, and I don't know what else.

I get why it can feel like that.

But maybe it only feels like "being put under a microscope" because it's non-obvious to people who have all the advantages. And therefore it feels like it was done "in order to search for signs" because, well, why would you try that hard to find it?

Consider, though, that maybe if you don't come from certain backgrounds, there's no microscope needed. That this stuff has been screaming like a flashing neon sign for years, and that all your attempts to draw attention to it have been dismissed by people who aren't affected by it.

Just a thought.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
As I have said upthread - I am all for enrichening the culture/lore of orcs. They are an iconic antagonist for the PCs in D&D. The objection I have is in not removing the trope that currently exists (for those that may still want it), but adding to it, since I believe the trope is popular. And this is because sometimes we just want the evil empire as the antagonist. Not everything has to be a complicated mess.

I am in full agreement with this. But I think you can agree that as we enrich, if we find tropes that are harmful ethnic stereotypes, we can throw those out with the chainmail bikinis? Then we can come up with other justifications and descriptions that are not entrenched in the history of racism in our media?

Nickolaidas

Explorer
idk how can a sapient species have society and yet somehow can't manage to form things like cities?

I don't know ... because they live in swamps? Because they take advantage of their environment in a different way than humans do, have different abilities than humans and therefore do not need to build structures like humans do? Because it makes them unique by not doing so than yet ANOTHER castle-building humanoid species?

Why should lizardfolk build castles and cities when they can easily climb trees and have camouflage when underwater in order to surprise prey? Why should they build castle walls for defense when trees and heavy vegetation provide ample cover from enemy projectiles and siege engines?

Why is a primitive yet equally effective lifestyle viewed as racist and problematic?

G

Guest 6801328

I just don't want entire species in D&D to change their behaviors, eco-systems and habitats because people feel insulted by the lifestyle of a fictional creature.

I really don't think you need to worry about this. I think what you're going to see is a shift in language, so that orcs who get together in tribes and do evil things are described in ways that make it seem more like it was a choice and less like their genetics.

You have human bandits/pirates/cultists who do these things, without it being ascribed to their heredity, right? And you get to kill those bandits/pirates/cultists and take their stuff, right? Well, orcs are going to be described that way, too. And you'll still get to fight them.

That's all.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
I do not believe this has any relevance to my particular discussion flow between me and the poster I replied to.
I have commented further on this with @BookTenTiger.
uh
And yet they are the same attributes used to describe all others all over the world all throughout history.
When the barbarians, heathens were attacking the Greeks, Romans or Byzantine Empire the same were said about them.

It is a medieval / fantasy trope that has resonated throughout humanity's timeline.
though the difference here is those "barbarians" and "heathens" were actual humans with real human culture and society, but orcs and other groups are rarely afforded that sort of sophistication.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I don't disagree with this.

I just don't want entire species in D&D to change their behaviors, eco-systems and habitats because people feel insulted by the lifestyle of a fictional creature.

I think everyone in this thread can agree that orcs are great! They are fun enemies to fight and enriching parts of the game. The last thing I expect WotC to do is throw out orcs and drow, or change them unrecognizably.

At the same time, I don't think it's unreasonable to go through a cycle of recognizing tropes and stereotypes that may have been acceptable in the media landscape of yesteryear, but are now recognizable as harmful.

Orcs and drow and other humanoids and monsters have changed constantly, between and within editions of D&D.

A lot of assumptions are being made about how they will change next, based on WotC's announcement. Some people have gotten really excited and creative and started coming up with their own ideas.

In 20 years, we will probably look back at these changes and say, "Let's change them again!"

Nickolaidas

Explorer
I think everyone in this thread can agree that orcs are great! They are fun enemies to fight and enriching parts of the game. The last thing I expect WotC to do is throw out orcs and drow, or change them unrecognizably.

At the same time, I don't think it's unreasonable to go through a cycle of recognizing tropes and stereotypes that may have been acceptable in the media landscape of yesteryear, but are now recognizable as harmful.

Orcs and drow and other humanoids and monsters have changed constantly, between and within editions of D&D.

A lot of assumptions are being made about how they will change next, based on WotC's announcement. Some people have gotten really excited and creative and started coming up with their own ideas.

In 20 years, we will probably look back at these changes and say, "Let's change them again!"
No arguments there. I remember how people were impressed and applauded the fact that Half-Orcs were no longer the result of rapes, but rather a well-thought plan by orc tribes settlements in order to create more efficient half-breed soldiers.

The second they retcon the Mind Flayers to not have humanoids as slaves and food though, I'm out. ;)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Every single word is put under a microscope and analyzed to death in order to search for signs of bigotry, racism, and I don't know what else.

Less than you might think. Folks have been saying stuff that has been offensive for a long, long time, and folks have been cringing at it or putting up with it, but staying quiet. The difference now is our willingness to call it out when it is seen.

G

Guest 6801328

Not so long ago I re-watched "The Princess Bride". Remember it? Awesome movie, right?

There's a scene where The Dread Pirate Roberts rescues Princess Buttercup, and I forget exactly what she says but she accuses him of lying or being insincere or something like that. He pulls his hand back as if to strike her, and she flinches, expecting a blow. He says, "That's TWICE you've said that. DON'T do it again." (Or something like that...I'm paraphrasing.)

I was...stunned. There were some other examples. I thought, "Whoah...how did I never see the misogyny in this movie!?!!?"

Now, I don't think the movie should be edited. It shouldn't be banned. BUT...if they ever re-make it, I hope they do so without that bit. And if I ever watch it with my sons (who are currently too young) we'll have a talk about that scene. And others.

Time passes and things which once were invisible, or even funny, take on a new meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads