D&D General WotC’s Official Announcement About Diversity, Races, and D&D

Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Following up on recent discussions on social media, WotC has made an official announcement about diversity and the treatment of ‘race’ in D&D. Notably, the word ‘race’ is not used; in its place are the words ‘people’ and 'folk'.

2A4C47E3-EAD6-4461-819A-3A42B20ED62A.png

PRESS RELEASE

Dungeons & Dragons teaches that diversity is strength, for only a diverse group of adventurers can overcome the many challenges a D&D story presents. In that spirit, making D&D as welcoming and inclusive as possible has moved to the forefront of our priorities over the last six years. We’d like to share with you what we’ve been doing, and what we plan to do in the future to address legacy D&D content that does not reflect who we are today. We recognize that doing this isn’t about getting to a place where we can rest on our laurels but continuing to head in the right direction. We feel that being transparent about it is the best way to let our community help us to continue to calibrate our efforts.

One of the explicit design goals of 5th edition D&D is to depict humanity in all its beautiful diversity by depicting characters who represent an array of ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and beliefs. We want everyone to feel at home around the game table and to see positive reflections of themselves within our products. “Human” in D&D means everyone, not just fantasy versions of northern Europeans, and the D&D community is now more diverse than it’s ever been.

Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game—orcs and drow being two of the prime examples—have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated. That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in. Despite our conscious efforts to the contrary, we have allowed some of those old descriptions to reappear in the game. We recognize that to live our values, we have to do an even better job in handling these issues. If we make mistakes, our priority is to make things right.

Here’s what we’re doing to improve:
  • We present orcs and drow in a new light in two of our most recent books, Eberron: Rising from the Last War and Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. In those books, orcs and drow are just as morally and culturally complex as other peoples. We will continue that approach in future books, portraying all the peoples of D&D in relatable ways and making it clear that they are as free as humans to decide who they are and what they do.
  • When every D&D book is reprinted, we have an opportunity to correct errors that we or the broader D&D community discovered in that book. Each year, we use those opportunities to fix a variety of things, including errors in judgment. In recent reprintings of Tomb of Annihilation and Curse of Strahd, for example, we changed text that was racially insensitive. Those reprints have already been printed and will be available in the months ahead. We will continue this process, reviewing each book as it comes up for a reprint and fixing such errors where they are present.
  • Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own.
  • Curse of Strahd included a people known as the Vistani and featured the Vistani heroine Ezmerelda. Regrettably, their depiction echoes some stereotypes associated with the Romani people in the real world. To rectify that, we’ve not only made changes to Curse of Strahd, but in two upcoming books, we will also show—working with a Romani consultant—the Vistani in a way that doesn’t rely on reductive tropes.
  • We've received valuable insights from sensitivity readers on two of our recent books. We are incorporating sensitivity readers into our creative process, and we will continue to reach out to experts in various fields to help us identify our blind spots.
  • We're proactively seeking new, diverse talent to join our staff and our pool of freelance writers and artists. We’ve brought in contributors who reflect the beautiful diversity of the D&D community to work on books coming out in 2021. We're going to invest even more in this approach and add a broad range of new voices to join the chorus of D&D storytelling.
And we will continue to listen to you all. We created 5th edition in conversation with the D&D community. It's a conversation that continues to this day. That's at the heart of our work—listening to the community, learning what brings you joy, and doing everything we can to provide it in every one of our books.

This part of our work will never end. We know that every day someone finds the courage to voice their truth, and we’re here to listen. We are eternally grateful for the ongoing dialog with the D&D community, and we look forward to continuing to improve D&D for generations to come.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
A shining star here is Kobold Press because they don't do anything to hinder accessibility with their products. Hell, I can even delete pages if I want with their PDFs.

Kobold Press PDFs are great! Beyond being more accessible, they do a great job with bookmarks and properly formatted battlemaps that are VTT and print ready without having to mess around with reformatting to get the scale correct.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Honest question: what are the parts of Tomb of Annihilation that are seen as problematic? I just finished playing through the campaign a couple of weeks ago after a 2+ year run, and I don't remember encountering offensive stuff. This could be because my DM took it out or changed it, or we didn't happen to meet the offensive characters/situations, or because we're ignorant. Not trying to be snarky.

Mirtek

Hero
There is no knight class.
The is a knight background which is super generic and bland and can match warriors for anywhere.
The is a cavalier class which is a generic mounted warrior of nobility. It doesn't match any particular culture. There a European, Asian, and African mounted noble warriors in history. Thegenericness of the class is partially why i is lower ranks of the XGTE subclasses.

Thesamurai should have been consulted on. Knowing you have a cultral consulant allows you to be more daring as you have people to catch you. Fighting Spirit is lame temp HP. I want to do some actual Japanese weapon syles but you need experts to do it right and not be offensive.

EDIT: Oh an why.

The key aspects of jaguar and eagle knights aretheir weapon and armor choices, the colors of the their armors and cloaks, special education of their warriors, and tactics on capturing captives alive. You need proper consultation to this without getting offensive.
A historical consultant should just tell them that armor was worn and refined over ages for a damn good reason and that if you fight without you're simply disadvantaged. So no damage resistance for being really angry or extra AC bonuses for being half naked or doing kung fu in a bathing robe.

So do not bring your fists to a sword fight and buy an armor while you're on the way

Remathilis

Legend
Honest question: what are the parts of Tomb of Annihilation that are seen as problematic? I just finished playing through the campaign a couple of weeks ago after a 2+ year run, and I don't remember encountering offensive stuff. This could be because my DM took it out or changed it, or we didn't happen to meet the offensive characters/situations, or because we're ignorant. Not trying to be snarky.
"Mad Monkey disease" was cited when ToA came out.

plisnithus8

Adventurer

I’m not an expert, but I suspect because the indigenous people of color seem to have a less advanced society than those from across the sea that have begun colonizing with nearby forts.

jgsugden

Legend
Classes morality check.

Fighter, Cleric, Paladin, can be easily associated to christian crusader. Failed.
Monk is using stereotype from Asian culture. Failed,
Barbarian use stereotype from Native American or Norse culture, Failed.
Wizard can be View as a promotion of intellectual elitism. Failed.
Ranger, we can’t allow a class that use Hunting and Beast exploitation. failed.
Rogue, Crime, Assassination, deception! failed.
Walock, weird pact without clear mutual consent, Failed.
Sorcerer. These are nice, growing internal power, but is this power available to everybody? failed.
Druid, maybe the only respectable class, but then you realize that he can summon and exploit animals and fey to fight for him. failed.
Those are extremely narrow interpretations of the classes. Extremely. The book itself makes strong efforts to talk about the diverse way the classes can be implemented and viewed. Read the class descriptions. The fighter starts with three paragraphs showing a diverse approach to the fighter class, most of which are not evocative of a Christian Crusader.

You're saying in most of your critique that the classes are limited to a cultural representation, and that is just not true.

I play a human variant monk. That monk comes from a clan that lived in Ancient Halruaa (one of the Lapal tribes) that practiced supernatural rites. When the Netherese came, his clan fled and became wanderers. The clan develops supernatual capabilities (the Arcane Initiative: Warlock feat) allowing them to small magical tricks (prestidigitation), create a phantom hand (mage hand), and put their spiritual hand on the soul of someone (hex). I flavor all of the monk abilities to be extensions of the mage hand. His speed is created by being pulled along by the hand. His damage increases come from the extra force of the mage hand around his hand. His slow fall is being held aloft by the hand. His Way of the Open Hand push, being pulled prone, or being denied reactions - that comes from the spiritual hand interfering. Stunning occurs because the spiritual hand appears in the brain of the target, etc...

Now, how does that equate to a stereotype of Asian culture?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix

From the Internets: some people have problem with the lack of information on Chultan culture and the depiction that this not-african-kingdom is in a degenerate situation after the settlers from not-europe returned home.

Also, there is people who are really mad a WotC that they seem to be unable to imagine a not-africa or not-south-america that wasnt not colonized. Why cant we have a southern continent that just do business with other nations around, maybe go to war, have peaceful relationships, has a deep culture yet space to have interesting discoveries and adventure? Even worse when most of the time the conquerors are from not-spain! A little on the nose, some would say :p

Thirdly: Some people resent that the only remaining city strong enough to withstand the horde of undeads in Chult is a ex-colonial hold, as if the Chultan were not building good enough stuff to protect themselves from the dangers of the wild. Like I said in another thread, I can see why people would think that, but I personally dont agree: Port Nyanzaru is the last remaining city because its the farthest from the horde of undead slowly crawling its way across the peninsula. In the lore, Chultan built stuff of technological wonder and the city of Mezro, who was good enough to be the throne of a god, was probably one of the most advanced cities in the world. But yeah, those things are not really featured in the campaign.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads