D&D 5E WotC: 5 D&D Settings In Development?

WotC's Ray Winninger spoke a little about some upcoming D&D settings -- two classic settings are coming in 2022 in formats we haven't seen before, and two brand new (not Magic: the Gathering) settings are also in development, as well as return to a setting they've already covered in 5E. He does note, however, that of the last three, there's a chance of one or more not making it to release, as they develop more than they use.

settinss.jpg

Two classic settings? What could they be?

So that's:
  • 2 classic settings in 2022 (in a brand new format)
  • 2 brand new settings
  • 1 returning setting
So the big questions -- what are the two classic settings, and what do they mean by a format we haven't seen before? Winninger has clarified on Twitter that "Each of these products is pursuing a different format you've never seen before. And neither is "digital only;" these are new print formats."

As I've mentioned on a couple of occasions, there are two more products that revive "classic" settings in production right now.

The manuscript for the first, overseen by [Chris Perkins], is nearly complete. Work on the second, led by [F. Wesley Schneider] with an assist from [Ari Levitch], is just ramping up in earnest. Both are targeting 2022 and formats you've never seen before.

In addition to these two titles, we have two brand new [D&D] settings in early development, as well as a return to a setting we've already covered. (No, these are not M:tG worlds.)

As I mentioned in the dev blog, we develop more material than we publish, so it's possible one or more of these last three won't reach production. But as of right now, they're all looking great.

Of course the phrase "two more products that revive 'classic' settings" could be interpreted in different ways. It might not be two individual setting books.

Last edited:

It won't be Ravenloft, since that just came out. It's not a MtG setting, according to the tweet. So that just leaves Forgotten Realms and Eberron, right? And as much as I am an Eberron fan I sort of suspect it'll be a more proper FR setting book, to fully sunset Sword Coast. Something more substantive and done in the modern style and with appropriate updating of the material.

Eberron is still a relatively new release itself, and seems to be healthy with new releases on the DMs Guild. SCAG is much older, has been roundly criticised in comparison to newer setting books releases, and its crunch has been mostly reprinted in other sourcebooks. As much as it will cause wailing and gnashing of teeth in some quarters, this almost certainly points towards a new FR setting book...

Last edited:

So that's basically confirmation that the mystery book this year is not a classic setting. So it's probably the Dragonomicon that everyone's been guessing since the dragon UA dropped.

The "never seen before format" is not a confidence boost. My luck it will be a collectible card set. Or a boardgame. Sorry, Ray. I want a book, a boxed set, and/or a PDF.
I agree. Hopefully a new format is a setting within an adventure because I can see how this could go wrong. If they don’t plan to do Dragonlance I wish they would license it out.

D1Tremere

Adventurer
My guess is that they are going to try to design setting books that use their bottom up design ethic. In the past they would deliver a book that gave you TONS of info about governments, gods, history, etc. 90% of which the players would never have any relationship with. The new method has been to deliver information starting at the players entry point, and then build outwards as they grow and explore. With a single setting they have to deliver much of the setting stuff in one book again, but in a format that stays relivent to the players and their adventure.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases