D&D 5E WotC: 5 D&D Settings In Development?

WotC's Ray Winninger spoke a little about some upcoming D&D settings -- two classic settings are coming in 2022 in formats we haven't seen before, and two brand new (not Magic: the Gathering) settings are also in development, as well as return to a setting they've already covered in 5E. He does note, however, that of the last three, there's a chance of one or more not making it to release, as...

WotC's Ray Winninger spoke a little about some upcoming D&D settings -- two classic settings are coming in 2022 in formats we haven't seen before, and two brand new (not Magic: the Gathering) settings are also in development, as well as return to a setting they've already covered in 5E. He does note, however, that of the last three, there's a chance of one or more not making it to release, as they develop more than they use.

settinss.jpg

Two classic settings? What could they be?

So that's:
  • 2 classic settings in 2022 (in a brand new format)
  • 2 brand new settings
  • 1 returning setting
So the big questions -- what are the two classic settings, and what do they mean by a format we haven't seen before? Winninger has clarified on Twitter that "Each of these products is pursuing a different format you've never seen before. And neither is "digital only;" these are new print formats."

As I've mentioned on a couple of occasions, there are two more products that revive "classic" settings in production right now.

The manuscript for the first, overseen by [Chris Perkins], is nearly complete. Work on the second, led by [F. Wesley Schneider] with an assist from [Ari Levitch], is just ramping up in earnest. Both are targeting 2022 and formats you've never seen before.

In addition to these two titles, we have two brand new [D&D] settings in early development, as well as a return to a setting we've already covered. (No, these are not M:tG worlds.)

As I mentioned in the dev blog, we develop more material than we publish, so it's possible one or more of these last three won't reach production. But as of right now, they're all looking great.

Of course the phrase "two more products that revive 'classic' settings" could be interpreted in different ways. It might not be two individual setting books.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I imagine it would include less tinker gnome and giant space hamster stuff. Play up the fantastical that can be had in zero-g environs as opposed to traditional settings. The Astral Plane has always been the most space-like of the planes, right down to the silver air tubes for astronauts, I mean, astral projections. Moving the Spelljammer to a planar setting would change little but could file off the kludgey Ptolemaic Astronomy and gravity planes/ air bubbles. Gravity is what you think it is in the Astral. The Phlogiston could be like the hyperspace analog it was supposed to be, flows within the Astral speeding travel.
the silver cord thing predates dnd apparently.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I imagine it would include less tinker gnome and giant space hamster stuff. Play up the fantastical that can be had in zero-g environs as opposed to traditional settings. The Astral Plane has always been the most space-like of the planes, right down to the silver air tubes for astronauts, I mean, astral projections. Moving the Spelljammer to a planar setting would change little but could file off the kludgey Ptolemaic Astronomy and gravity planes/ air bubbles. Gravity is what you think it is in the Astral. The Phlogiston could be like the hyperspace analog it was supposed to be, flows within the Astral speeding travel.
You know that Giant Apace Hamatwrs are coming. Look into your heart.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
::cries in Nentir Vale::
POLand wasn’t so much a setting as a scattering of ideas that vaguely suggested the rough outline of a few tiny locations within a setting. To me that was a major strength of it, granted, but it’s not really a setting in the same sense as...well, any other D&D setting.

Aldarc

Legend
POLand wasn’t so much a setting as a scattering of ideas that vaguely suggested the rough outline of a few tiny locations within a setting. To me that was a major strength of it, granted, but it’s not really a setting in the same sense as...well, any other D&D setting.
Just like early Greyhawk! This is what I want out of a setting. This is one thing I loved about Nentir Vale. Give me a sketched outline setting that I can color in as I want as a GM with whatever worn-out crayons I have, whether it's my cheap ol' six-color box or Susie's new, fancy box with 120 crayon colors. I'll drop a module wherever I want on there too.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
You might get Anthology adventures set in different settings, apparently the writers of Candlekeep Mysteries didn't actually have to set their adventure in FR, despite the core concept being Candlekeep. You also might get some Summer Adventures not set in Forgotten Realms, like Witchlight.

Isn't this the concept of Ghosts of Saltmarsh?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Just like early Greyhawk! This is what I want out of a setting. This is one thing I loved about Nentir Vale. Give me a sketched outline setting that I can color in as I want as a GM with whatever worn-out crayons I have, whether it's my cheap ol' six-color box or Susie's new, fancy box with 120 crayon colors. I'll drop a module wherever I want on there too.
Oh, I completely agree. That very nature (laughably incomplete) is what I loved about early Known World and the Nentir Vale. But that very nature certainly makes them not quite settings in the same sense as FR, Eberron, and Ravenloft are settings. This isn’t me putting the Nentir Vale down, rather pointing out it’s not really a “setting” in the same sense as all the rest.

lkj

Hero
Oh, I completely agree. That very nature (laughably incomplete) is what I loved about early Known World and the Nentir Vale. But that very nature certainly makes them not quite settings in the same sense as FR, Eberron, and Ravenloft are settings. This isn’t me putting the Nentir Vale down, rather pointing out it’s not really a “setting” in the same sense as all the rest.
Didn't it get built out more than that into Nerath with that boardgame?

AD

Staffan

Legend
Didn't it get built out more than that into Nerath with that boardgame?

AD
I think by the time Conquest of Nerath rolled around, they had basically abandoned it as an RPG setting and just threw all sorts of things into the board game. I remember lots of old-school adventures (Tomb of Horrors, White Plume Mountain, etc) featuring on the map at least, but I'm not sure if it also poached other geography.

Remove ads

Remove ads